New Year New Jeans

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 03 January 2019

Most people spend the most depressing time of the year giving up the things they love.  I like to start the year with some fresh new jeans.

Years ago I read that the best way to wear them was to get a few and only wear one of them a day or so before neatly hanging them up for another. This way you can get them to look great over some time and not even have to wash them - as washing kills that fresh fluffy nap and turns them into a thin crispy version of what they were !

For years I wore Diesel jeans. Having short stocky legs, most of what they offered made them look good.  Recent years have had the fashion particularly aimed at tall skinny chaps who want it tight - and making me look ridiculous trying to try them on in the changing cubical.   After ages looking I found Nudie Jeans. Who make a relaxed skinny that I can fit into and feel great.

I have been wearing Nudie Jeans for a good while now. They are awesome, and with an eco friendly attitude.  I even have a pair bought 5 years ago that have never been washed.

It's coming to that time for a fresh new stash.   Any other jean lovers with recommendations ? Or would wish to share their preferences?

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by count.d

A thread on jeans. It’s what this forum needs.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bob the Builder
Christopher_M posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Nothing wrong with being a 'man at M&S' .....

Yeah, but where's the rock n roll in 'Blue Harbour' ?! 

Yeah because Middle aged mean look great in leather biker's jackets, ripped jeans and cowboy boots don't they Christopher?. 

There is nothing worse in the fashion stakes than dressing too young,  the designer jeans and trainers look is just not good is it? Middle aged men dressed like Liam Gallagher is just embarrassing.                                                                                                                        

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Kevin-W
Bob the Builder posted:

Middle aged men dressed like Liam Gallagher is just embarrassing.                                                                                                                        

Liam Gallagher is 46.

Posted on: 03 January 2019 by Bob the Builder
Kevin-W posted:
Bob the Builder posted:

Middle aged men dressed like Liam Gallagher is just embarrassing.                                                                                                                        

Liam Gallagher is 46.

And dresses like an 18 year old. Look all I'm saying is bowling around looking like a football thug or an 80's rock isn't a good look in your 40's or 50's and yes Liam Gallagher and Keith Richards can carry it off but trust me it isn't a good look for non ageing rock and roll stars.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

Ps.

Sorry if I've offended any Liam or Keef lookie likies that frequent the forum I'm sure I'd like quite dull stood next to you at the Sainsbury's check out.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Tabby cat

Bob I have to admit that I am 53 and do like Liam's Pretty Green clothing line a great deal especially the jumpers not cheap but reading a thread on magic fuses for £130 each here great value for money.

Wish I was a Liam look a like though....ha ha !

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Eoink
Bob the Builder posted:
Eoink posted:

Nothing wrong with being a 'man at M&S' I think they make some very smart, reasonably fashionable clothes,  well fashionable enough for a man of 49.  I can usually make a couple of trips a year to Marks's and get kitted out nicely my only real indulgence so far as clothes go is shoes.

As a 55 year old I have no problem being "man at M&S", it's just the bit of my brain that has never realised I'm out of my twenties that has.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Bruce Woodhouse

I have bought Jeans (and other clothes) from Howies. Their denim is expensive but it lasts and 'wears in' nicely. Levis fit me OK too, but I'm not convinced they are such great quality.

I have a couple of Howies bike jackets that are simple, functional and have tolerated abuse on (and falling off) my MTB for years. Good kit, nice company.

Bruce

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Timmo1341

Quite why anyone would want to look like an ageing Shameless character is simply beyond me. 

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Salmon Dave

Always preferred 514s myself. However Levis and most others come in even numbered i/leg inches, so I tend to go for odd numbered ones... sadly these are limited to M&S (which are generally horrid) and a few other outlets.

What's Shameless? For those of use who've worn jeans since about 1970 it would be like giving up....beer.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Timmo1341

Shameless is a soap about the lives and relationships of a group of siblings and their estranged father Frank Gallagher on a rough Manchester estate. Strangely compulsive viewing, but ultimately totally depressing, simply because it is so true to life. As a cop I used to joke with colleagues about the properties where you’d wipe your feet on the way out! Sad, but true (pinching a Metallica lyric).

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by fatcat

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Chinos, jeans are SOO twentieth century.

My preference is George, with active waistband.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by TOBYJUG
Tabby cat posted:

Bob I have to admit that I am 53 and do like Liam's Pretty Green clothing line a great deal especially the jumpers not cheap but reading a thread on magic fuses for £130 each here great value for money.

Only recently came across that Pretty Green clothing label. Quite Tribal in the look of some items - especially the parkas.

The 40s and 50s amongst us are probably the youngest generation to remember how Tribal some looked with the beatboys, ravers,skinheads, punks, mods, goths, rockers and metalheads. With those in their 60s and older remembering the northern soul weekenders and hippies.  My parents who would have been in their late 70s being both teddy boy/girl.

Sometimes come across the odd one or two who are still strong to their tribe.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by count.d

All this talk about people dressing their age and how a 49 year old should dress up to a certain level of 'fashionableness'. I was photographing a load of coaches and they were being driven and manoeuvered by the usual coach, trucker types (leave it to your imagination). Out of the 5 drivers, there was a slim bloke 70+ who was a really great character and wore a cool leather jacket, slim well-fitted jeans, casual refined shoes. He looked great. It was only later that I found out he was the owner of the business I was working for and was extremely wealthy. Still does all the hard graft with the lads and was very humble.

I must remind myself to go to Debenhams and kit myself out with sweaters and wide trousers when I'm 70+.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by raym55

I live in trakkies 99% of the time. Jeans, when I wear them can be of any make or design. The thing that initially attracts me to buying clothes of any type is the price tag. Just bought a couple of pairs of P Cardin jeans from HOF for £7 a pair. They fit and will likely keep me as warm as anything else out there. £70+ quid for a pair of Levis ........ You're 'avin a giraffe!

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

Perhaps the biggest concern wearing jeans and being over a certain age is ? -  tuck in or leave out whatever shirt or Tshirt.

Definitely tucking in a tight black Tshirt into 501s will leave you looking like Simon cowell.  Yes leaving out a Tshirt with undone denim shirt will result in Frank Gallagher.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Tabby cat
TOBYJUG posted:
Tabby cat posted:

Only recently came across that Pretty Green clothing label. Quite Tribal in the look of some items - especially the parkas.

The 40s and 50s amongst us are probably the youngest generation to remember how Tribal some looked with the beatboys, ravers,skinheads, punks, mods, goths, rockers and metalheads. With those in their 60s and older remembering the northern soul weekenders and hippies.  My parents who would have been in their late 70s being both teddy boy/girl.

Sometimes come across the odd one or two who are still strong to their tribe.

Hi Toby,

Agree not a liker of the Parka's and jackets, but love the jumpers and some of the shirts.I have a good friend with a bespoke knitting business and she charges £220 for a hand knitted jumper with organic wool etc.So Liams jumpers are a quite reasonable  £60 -£100. Do love that Paisley Underground look bands like REM had it between 1983 and 1989.It sort of goes back to The Byrd's around 1965.

Wishing you a fine New Year and as always look forward to more of your unique humour on your posts

Cheers Ian  

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Timmo1341
raym55 posted:

I live in trakkies 99% of the time. Jeans, when I wear them can be of any make or design. The thing that initially attracts me to buying clothes of any type is the price tag. Just bought a couple of pairs of P Cardin jeans from HOF for £7 a pair. They fit and will likely keep me as warm as anything else out there. £70+ quid for a pair of Levis ........ You're 'avin a giraffe!

As for £120+ for Hugo Boss etc......!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by raym55

@Timmo, that just aint going to happen. ????

I'll wear anything, irrespective of the label  but I wont pay silly ££ for any of it. I have a hifi to feed and something has to take priority.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Speedtrip

The last few pairs of jeans I’ve bought came from Costco with the label ‘Urban Star’. They were about £24 or so and fit extremely well as they are stretch denim. Fair quality too 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Paper Plane

Never could get on with Levi's.

Mrs Plane gets my stuff, usually Next sale gear. The main problem is finding my size, 30" waist with 33" leg. 

steve

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

I haven't worn a pair of blue jeans since I was about 14, in the late 1960s - once I was old enough to influence then buy my own clothes. It amazed me that every boy I knew spent their time slagging off school uniform ... then went home and changed into a uniform based on blue jeans!

I have had a fair few pairs of jeans over the decades, just never blue, plus and a variety of other trousers of varying types and colours - though I haven't a clue what Chinos are. T-shirt has been my preferred top since the same age I rejected blue jeans - no "dressing my age" for me, except for formal things - when something always bucks tradition, though tastefully.

And I despise flashing of 'names' - so largely avoid "designer" labels, though over the years I have had the odd subtle item, and a few made to measure things - favourite of which many years ago was snakeskin boots (and currently considering it is time I had another pair!)

Oh, and since that same age back in the 60s the only clothes I have let other people buy for me have been underclothes - but with strict understanding of my preferences.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Dozey

Us old guys can wear blue jeans, but they need to be dark. Faded look just wrong.

M&S are no good to me - maximum leg length is only 33 inches.

What I would really like would be jeans having a Levi 501's cut with better denim and a zip fly. And costing less than £100.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Buz
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

I have bought Jeans (and other clothes) from Howies. Their denim is expensive but it lasts and 'wears in' nicely. Levis fit me OK too, but I'm not convinced they are such great quality.

I have a couple of Howies bike jackets that are simple, functional and have tolerated abuse on (and falling off) my MTB for years. Good kit, nice company.

Bruce

The chap who founded Howies sold out a few years ago and now runs a new jeans manufacturer in South Wales called, I think, “Hiut”. They’re expensive but look like they’d last a while and, for the M&S officianados on this thread, they’re based in an old M&S factory and employ some of thier ex employees. Interesting website to for those prepared to Google it. 

Posted on: 08 January 2019 by Steve2

Just collected two pairs of 501s from Costco yesterday that should last me for a while.  I used to have a pair not too dissimilar to the ones worn by Neil Young on After the Goldrush cover but SWMBO thinks I am too old to be wearing them now.