Super Lumina IC

Posted by: The Strat (Fender) on 04 January 2019

Okay I get it

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Filipe
Jason posted:
The Strat (Fender) posted:

I feel very close to Norah Jones. 

I'd like to be 

Better play “Come Away with Me” as next best!

Phil

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Filipe
S3 posted:

My dealer has lent me his ex dem SL interconnect to try with my NDS and 252 in place of the stock NDS Din to Din.

Is it right that you need to insert the plugs and then withdraw them both by 1mm? 

Any advice on installation of the SL would be welcome so I can ensure it’s set up correctly for my week long demo.

Cheers all

David

David, Grey on source and black on destination. 

Phil

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by S3

Got it. Thanks Phil. Should be interesting to hear if there is a discernible difference.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by jsaudio

Careful on the directionality. I bought a demo SL DIN to DIN and its very difficult to discern which end has the gray ring versus the black ring. Maybe brand new ones are more obvious.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by S3

A couple of hours in and, although this may sound strange, my impressions are that the whole system seems easier to listen to. I guess that translates to something of the harsh edge disappearing, which seems positive.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)
S3 posted:

A couple of hours in and, although this may sound strange, my impressions are that the whole system seems easier to listen to. I guess that translates to something of the harsh edge disappearing, which seems positive.

Well all of that.  It’s a whole lot more organic, but lots more detail and this is very important to me on CD because I listen to much classical stuff so notation and timbres so increase the experience. But right now listening to Mark Knopfler’s Golden Heart (first) solo album - his voice is so much huskier but the instruments seem to be so much spatial.  

Anyway, I’ve taken the plunge and pressed “buy” but other things are happening over the next week as well!

Regards,

Lindsay

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Lifesabreeze

Excellent call Lindsay, enjoy and start saving for the S/L speaker cables

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by nigelb
S3 posted:

Well all of that.  It’s a whole lot more organic, but lots more detail and this is very important to me on CD because I listen to much classical stuff so notation and timbres so increase the experience. But right now listening to Mark Knopfler’s Golden Heart (first) solo album - his voice is so much huskier but the instruments seem to be so much spatial.  

Anyway, I’ve taken the plunge and pressed “buy” but other things are happening over the next week as well!

Regards,

Lindsay

'…other things….!', umm..…interesting. Power supplies, speakers, I wonder. I know, you are selling your TT and CDP and going streaming. Right?

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)
nigelb posted:
S3 posted:

Regards,

Lindsay

'…other things….!', umm..…interesting. Power supplies, speakers, I wonder. I know, you are selling your TT and CDP and going streaming. Right?

Nope speakers are staying, TT is staying,  no streaming CDS3 is staying..........

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Skip

I tried the SL full loom with the SL interconnect on the 555, but I always got a hum on the DIN-XLR version of the Super Lumina.   I tried it on two separate iterations and SL DIN-XLR just did not like my system.   I recently replaced that cable with the Chord Music version of the DIN-XLR.     The DIN-XLR, of course, makes every source sound better.   It is a nice upgrade from stock, and perceptibly better after some break in over the past few weeks.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by nigelb
nigelb posted:
S3 posted:

Regards,

Lindsay

Nope speakers are staying, TT is staying,  no streaming CDS3 is staying..........

So it must be a SL full loom then, or at least SL speaker cables.

I'm right, aren't I!

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Nope Nigel.  I thought I’d already told you?

I give up!

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by fathings cat

The source to pre was well worth it (stand alone) then later. I added the speaker cable (didn’t try without the Pre /source I/C) but again worth it.

I haven’t completed the full loom (pre to power) yet mainly due to cost c£3k ( I have a nap 300) is a little expensive at the moment so will wait and see if I can “trip over” an ex dem / used sale.

regards

Gary

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by S3

Reverting to the OP’s original comment. So do I now....

It’s very very good.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Bart
fathings cat posted:

The source to pre was well worth it (stand alone) then later. I added the speaker cable (didn’t try without the Pre /source I/C) but again worth it.

I haven’t completed the full loom (pre to power) yet mainly due to cost c£3k ( I have a nap 300) is a little expensive at the moment so will wait and see if I can “trip over” an ex dem / used sale.

regards

Gary

I have an SL for my ND 555 (bought it long ago for my NDS) and I did just trip over one for my phono stage connection at a very good price.  My 300 is on its way but I agree -- that's a LOT of money and I'd need to get lucky enough to trip twice.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

I find I’m listening at higher volumes with this wire.  

SAY WHAT, LINDSAY. CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by living in lancs yearning for yorks
fathings cat posted:

regards

Gary

Contemplating a full set of SL is worse with a pair of active 300s and a need for 7m to the right speaker! Not sure I will ever be able to do that...

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by S3

Exactly the same here. Tracks that previously (with the stock lead in place) had a harsher edge at higher volumes are now so much more refined. Interesting...