Now I've done it -- getting a turntable

Posted by: Bart on 04 January 2019

I really wasn't going to get one . . . but . . . my wife miraculously recovered about 30 lp's from her youth.  They are in great shape actually.  (They were with her ex, and she assumed long gone, but her daughter found them in his basement and grabbed them. )  Original pressings of Beatles albums, etc.

I don't see us going DEEP into vinyl; she really wants to listen to her old lp's and so I think she should.  And who knows what else we'll find from time to time, etc.

Mounting: A wall shelf is a "no" from her so it'll be on top of Fraim. We'll expand from one to two stacks of Fraim, and do our best with bouncy floors. (Isolation recommendations??)  No kids in the house and so easy to be sitting on the couch and not walking near it whilst it plays.

Recommendations?  One friend recommended the Rega P6.  Seems a good price point and maybe good value/performance point.  What do the experts here think . . . in the realm of 'its not meant to replace my ND 555.  (My trusty dealer will give me his recommendations too but why not poll the collective?!?!?)

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Robert Burgess

Hi Bart - I agree with your friend that the Rega Planar 6 with the included Neo psu marks high on the value for money scale. The Rega Ania mc cartridge is also well reviewed and was designed with the P6 in mind. It is sold at a discount when pre-mounted with the P6. Keep in mind that you will probably need a phono pre-amp (the Rega Fono MC for example.) Unfortunately, both the Neo and the Fono pre will take up shelf space. Welcome to vinyl!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Bart

Thanks all - I woke up here in the States to a really helpful set of posts!

[@mention:1566878603942595] and others, there is a certain charm for sure to play her vintage LP's on a vintage table, but at least at this point I probably would want to dip the toe with 21st century technology. (Akin to my love of the 1965 Ford Mustang; unless and unti I am ready to do repairs and maintenance myself, it's a likely folly.)  Vintage Thorens and LP12 absolutely look cool; and I'm way into cool industrial design. Design aesthetics are always part of my choice; it's a reason I started with Naim.  The black boxes on Fraim look great to me. And speakers that look like they belong on the bridge of the Enterprise don't; it's just my (our) taste.

[@mention:70694708846244437] and others - yes I'll have extra Fraim levels ordered, with one devoted to sharing the motor controller and the phono stage.  I'm not interested in SuperLine and it's own SuperCap; way too much for now. If I go with Rega, their phono stage seems totally appropriate for what I'm talking about.

[@mention:1566878603942595] and others - I too had a Technics in my Uni days.  Direct drive - strobe to adjust the speed built into the deck and platter . . . fond fond memories. Had a ZeroStat gun, Discwasher brush. The rest of my system was total crap but somehow I managed a decent TT. And it's why I'm here today; hours upon hours of listening to music that's now burned into my brain!  Seeing these SL's is fun; I remember 'em!

[@mention:71399038679995297] - I feel you.  I'm totally devoted to my hard drive based music; ease of access, no mess, sounds fantastic. They'll have to pry Roon and the Naim app from my cold dead fingers. 

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Bart posted:

[@mention:71399038679995297] - I feel you.  I'm totally devoted to my hard drive based music; ease of access, no mess, sounds fantastic. They'll have to pry Roon and the Naim app from my cold dead fingers. 

Indeed, the ‘sensible’ option would be to buy the same albums as (used) CDs and rip them, getting better sound quality for very little outlay - but it’s not about that, is it?!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

[@mention:6776267697733081] - get a LP12 if you're looking for a new hobby. If you just want to play vinyl, Rega P6 is your best bet. 

I wouldn't worry about bouncy floors. Our homes are probably constructed the same way - I don't think it'll be an issue - never been an issue for me - I've got the RP6 on the top shelf. 

MangoMonkey posted:

[@mention:6776267697733081] - get a LP12 if you're looking for a new hobby. If you just want to play vinyl, Rega P6 is your best bet. 

I wouldn't worry about bouncy floors. Our homes are probably constructed the same way - I don't think it'll be an issue - never been an issue for me - I've got the RP6 on the top shelf. 

I'm basically not mechanically inclined at all -- fortunately my wife is.  So a hobby that entails me fiddling with small mechanical parts with small tolerances is a non-starter.  Im good with streaming music as a hobby, and playing with software-based gadgets, but me + small parts = disaster.  I like that about the Rega system; buy it with a cartridge already affixed and then just get it assembled and level etc.  The idea of making micro-adjustments to cartridge position etc. raises my anxiety (with the proviso that I know such has been a huge allure to vinyl playback for many people! Just not me!).

The new Planar 8 does look nice(r) however.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by French Rooster
RaceTripper posted:
French Rooster posted:

i have a rega rp8, bouncy wood floor.  The turntable sits on a black granite platform: superb sound!   the arm is tracking perfectly.   ( 5 cm of granite)

I think it's pretty much YMMV. When I lived in a condo with bouncy floors, my LP12 worked pretty well, but not in my current house.

hello Racetripper,  what means YWMV?

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Hook

Bart - will your dealer visit your home and setup the cart geometry for you? Or do you have the experience and tools to do so yourself? If the answers are no, then probably best to stick with Rega or Well Tempered. Given your lovely room though, you might want to consider a restored vintage table that really “looks the part”, and is already set up to accept an Ortofon SPU. Lots of fine options to consider. Will be interested to hear what your dealer recommends!

Also recommend you start looking at new shelving units, as 30 can grow to 300 or 3000 surprisingly quickly.  Vinyl hunting is an addiction!

Edit: Just saw your last post. Fixed geometry or dealer installed it is!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by RaceTripper
French Rooster posted:
RaceTripper posted:
French Rooster posted:

i have a rega rp8, bouncy wood floor.  The turntable sits on a black granite platform: superb sound!   the arm is tracking perfectly.   ( 5 cm of granite)

I think it's pretty much YMMV. When I lived in a condo with bouncy floors, my LP12 worked pretty well, but not in my current house.

Oops, typo: I meant YMMV (your mileage may vary)

YWMV = "your wife may vaporize" you if you don't make some sensible choices here (perhaps)

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by trunkmonkey

Ref the possibility of an LP12, my Klimax LP12 with Urika/Trampolin is much more prone to footfall than my much more basic 1980s deck with solid baseboard. Opposite of what I'd have thought. 

If well setup, then you can forget about LP12s for several years until the cartridge needs replacing.

However, Rega will still be simpler. Similar to ROBIWAN's thoughts, maybe just get a cheaper RP3 to start with and then it's less of a BIG decision. Then just see how you get on. This whole thing might just be a flash in the pan. If not, then you can take it more serioursly and dem some options. If you get a second hand or ex-dem RP3 then you can minimise any loss when selling it on. Alternatively, if you really want to buy brand new, then the RP1 Plus has a built in phono stage for about £330.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by French Rooster
RaceTripper posted:
French Rooster posted:
RaceTripper posted:
French Rooster posted:

Oops, typo: I meant YMMV (your mileage may vary)

The granite platform is polished, it looks very nice.   Not very expensive also....   So i doubt your wife would cry.....     You can choose also a lot of granite polished platforms.

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Fueller

The new Planar 8 does look nice(r) however..

————

I thought so too and walked out of audio t with one yesterday afternoon after ‘going in for a listen’. I went for the Apheta 2 cartridge and sounds great already despite borrowing a £150 Pro-Ject phono stage (I have to order correct loading plugs for mine) and the cartridge being brand new. Sits on fraim lite on a solid floor.

Enjoy whatever you choose, it’s just a different and immersive listening experience this vinyl game!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Loki

Bart: I know you don't want to go deep into vinyl, but you are already well down the HiFi rabbit hole with your setup which suggests a certain perfectionism regarding your appreciation of SQ. A SH LP12 will be excellent, and, if you are then inclined, and have the resources to fund, you could go further. And if you don't, then the deck will still attract a good price afterwards. I think the Rega is a red herring as you'd have to swap the whole deck.

As for bouncy floors, I'd start with getting a friendly joiner to look at the wedges which secure your joists. Worked a treat for me. Then we installed a concrete base at the point where the HiFi sits. We can boogie our hearts away and jump all over the place and the deck stays stable as a rock. 

Is your system on the ground floor?

Fueller posted:

The new Planar 8 does look nice(r) however..

————

I thought so too and walked out of audio t with one yesterday afternoon after ‘going in for a listen’. I went for the Apheta 2 cartridge and sounds great already despite borrowing a £150 Pro-Ject phono stage (I have to order correct loading plugs for mine) and the cartridge being brand new. Sits on fraim lite on a solid floor.

Enjoy whatever you choose, it’s just a different and immersive listening experience this vinyl game!

Just "going in for a listen" -- always dangerous!  Enjoy!!

Posted on: 05 January 2019 by Mr Frog
French Rooster posted:

Thought you had RP10 .... or did you change it for the RP8? ????

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Why are we only talking about Rega and Linn?  Project, Michell, Avid, Roksan, Well Tempered..............

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Robiwan
The Strat (Fender) posted:

Why are we only talking about Rega and Linn?  Project, Michell, Avid, Roksan, Well Tempered..............

good posting! 

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by French Rooster
Mr Frog posted:
French Rooster posted:

Thought you had RP10 .... or did you change it for the RP8? ????

you are right, i had before the rp10 and now an ex demo rp8.  I needed quickly some cash...

For now, i am not even sure that the rp10 was better , in all areas, in my system, with lyra delos cart and my ear 912 phono.  There is a true synergy.   I feel , but can’t really compare, that the rp8 is more groovy.     It would be interesting to test the rp8 platter on the p10.  

Maybe later, when my finances will be better, i will try the new planar 10, to come....

And you, have you compared the p8 with the p10?    which one you have?

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Dougie Danger

Probably more than you want to spend but FWIW I recently listened and compared a new Linn Majik LP12 with the new Linn arm and thought it was comparable to a NDS. I think the Michell Gyrodec sounds even more analogue than the LP12 but still preferred the Linn.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Bart

UPDATE:  My always-helpful dealer happened to have a customer return RP8/Apheta 2/Aria with just a few hours on it. (The customer decided vinyl really was folly for him.)  Price is less than new Planar 6/ Ania / Aria, so I'll mix my metaphors and roll the dice and head down the rabbit hole.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

That might just blow your nd555 away. You’ll realize you could sell the nd555, and buy all the music in vinyl and you would still have money left over and better SQ ...

but the convinience...

I usually listen to the same side of the same record 6 months at a time. :-) 

The TT is at arms length from my desk ...

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Richard Dane
Bart posted:

UPDATE:  My always-helpful dealer happened to have a customer return RP8/Apheta 2/Aria with just a few hours on it. (The customer decided vinyl really was folly for him.)  Price is less than new Planar 6/ Ania / Aria, so I'll mix my metaphors and roll the dice and head down the rabbit hole.

Wow.  That's a lovely vinyl front end.  Well done.

I do have some bad news for you though.

If the bug really bites (and it likely will, although the previous owner shows that it doesn't for everyone), you'll be spending more money buying lots more vinyl...

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Robert Burgess
Bart posted:

Go for it Bart!

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Loki
Richard Dane posted:
Bart posted:

Wow.  That's a lovely vinyl front end.  Well done.

I do have some bad news for you though.

If the bug really bites (and it likely will, although the previous owner shows that it doesn't for everyone), you'll be spending more money buying lots more vinyl...

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by james n
Bart posted:

UPDATE:  My always-helpful dealer happened to have a customer return RP8/Apheta 2/Aria with just a few hours on it. 

Nice. I'd recommend getting this book too. It's an excellent read whilst you are listening to your new purchase