Downgrade path.

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 05 January 2019

There are many, many threads discussing upgrade paths but what about those who want to down grade?

I became very dissolutioned with the diminshing returns I was getting from my system which plateaued at 282/300 and so I sold it and bought a 102/180 whilst I decided what I wanted to do and absolutely fell in love with Naim all over again.

So I then decided to try a few options out within the Olive range and ended up with 82/SC I've also added a UQ2 as a streaming source connected to a Chord 2Qute which I bought for a bedroom set up but am really enjoying it as just a source.

So if it is all getting a bit stale and going higher isn't an option then for all you serial upgraders downgrading is the new upgrade!  Pick either a CB or an Olive amp quite low down 42.5/HC/110 or 62/HC/140 or like me a 102/180 and I guarantee you you will find that fun factor again and then from there you can try something new or stay there.

Posted on: 09 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

What makes the Nova ‘fun’ to listen to? (Other than that the music you listen to is fun.)

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan

A Nova with a good speaker match is going to come pretty close to a twice/thrice-the-price component system, especially if the components are older streaming technology like the 272. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisSU

Challenge for today.....can you think of a system for £8k to £12.5k (excluding speakers) that sounds better than a Nova?

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Ardbeg10y

Many actually, but ´better´ needs to be defined first. In general, I like the older Naim stuff over the newer Naim stuff which gives a big price benefit. The downside is that it rolls off quicker at low and high end and there is a trade off on the amount of details shown in the music.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Gazza
ChrisSU posted:

Challenge for today.....can you think of a system for £8k to £12.5k (excluding speakers) that sounds better than a Nova?

For that money either the Mark Levinson 5802 or 5805 would be worth a look at. I guess they will be priced at £7 and £ 8.5 k respectively and you would still need a streamer, but it does include Bluetooth, MQA with the inbuilt dac. They are due out next month.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by rightcoastants
Innocent Bystander posted:

What makes the Nova ‘fun’ to listen to? (Other than that the music you listen to is fun.)

It retains that toe tapping element I like and still engages me. It's also likely in part due to the synergy created when paired with the Neat speakers. A great match.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Eoink
ChrisSU posted:

In my main system I run NDX - 52/SC - 135s (probably £11k to but now), in the second system I run a Nova, I'd say the Nova is a really enjoyable system, but the NDX/olive system does everything the Nova does, but quite a lot better, better pacing, deeper bass, more fun. I do accept that it is a bit unfair to reference that as the olives are obviously only available second-hand.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
rightcoastants posted:

It retains that toe tapping element I like and still engages me. It's also likely in part due to the synergy created when paired with the Neat speakers. A great match.

Ah, the toes, the toes...!

Never did get the fixation with toe-tapping, that for me not being a measure of musical enjoyment: I tend to tap my foot involuntarily when I hear music I recognise (and like) in  unexpected settings, e.g. watching a film, even on a crummy TV speaker. Sometimes I will when listening to music, but more often than not I don’t - and it is the same live as recorded. More likely to playing loud than soft. But then I don’t seek what I think of as ‘fun’ from music - when good it is a lot deeper and more involving than mere fun, but that maybe is a discussion for another time

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Eoink posted:
ChrisSU posted:

In my main system I run NDX - 52/SC - 135s (probably £11k to but now), in the second system I run a Nova, I'd say the Nova is a really enjoyable system, but the NDX/olive system does everything the Nova does, but quite a lot better, better pacing, deeper bass, more fun. I do accept that it is a bit unfair to reference that as the olives are obviously only available second-hand.

That might be pushing it a bit! The current equivalent would be something like NDX/252/300, which would set you back about £23k. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Eoink
ChrisSU posted:
Eoink posted:
ChrisSU posted:

That might be pushing it a bit! The current equivalent would be something like NDX/252/300, which would set you back about £23k. 

I went with the system I actually live with so that I could give a view based on evidence (albeit that of my preference), but agree it's not a reasonable representaton of an £11k system. I did hear the NDX2/SN2 driving Focals at Heathrow at the end of last year, and was very impressed, despite the lack of opportunity to directly compare I'd be pretty sure it'd out-perform the Nova in a like for like.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan
ChrisSU posted:

I’d expect the NDX2/SN2 to be better, but by how much for the additional cost is another matter. It’s probally where I would consider heading for an upgrade, but I’m really happy with my Nova and have some other priorities for the next few years. The N272 and NAP200 or 250 would be other low box options, but I would be redundant to go with old streaming technology at that price point.

i think the Nova hits a pretty good sweet point with the right speaker combo.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by rightcoastants
rightcoastants posted:

Ah, the toes, the toes...!

Never did get the fixation with toe-tapping, that for me not being a measure of musical enjoyment: I tend to tap my foot involuntarily when I hear music I recognise (and like) in  unexpected settings, e.g. watching a film, even on a crummy TV speaker. Sometimes I will when listening to music, but more often than not I don’t - and it is the same live as recorded. More likely to playing loud than soft. But then I don’t seek what I think of as ‘fun’ from music - when good it is a lot deeper and more involving than mere fun, but that maybe is a discussion for another time

The toe bone is connected to the....

I guess the fun apart from being surprised that you can enjoy a less costly system is that a smaller setup which can be as simple as one box with a pair of speakers, one pair of speaker cables and ac cable can offer the same level of enjoyment without having all the tweak and experiments, etc many of us have made to more elaborate and costly systems.

The fun or what can put a smile on my face  is that "less is more" while downsizing. It retaining my attention, involves me and the intent of the musical performance is conveyed.

As much as I miss my previous kit, music can be enjoyed and be entertaining (in some respect) with a more modest hifi.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bob the Builder

I'm just waiting on the correct cables to connect my record player to my UnitiQute2 and my Dynaudios, let's see how a £599 (rrp £1350) all in one compares to an 82/SC or the memory of 282/300.