Naim Core

Posted by: Charles44 on 06 January 2019

I am giving buying this serious consideration but being uncertain of some things I am seeking advice. I would run this with a Naim XS amplifier but I feel that it is not possible and would possibly need a DAC, am I correct?

Also could I run two versions of the app to control it, one in Android and the other on Apple?

Finally what size hard drive might other people be using?

Thanks for any feedback on my query.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Charles44

Thanks for all the feedback on this question, it has made me think. There are two ways to go I feel -

1. The core plus a DAC. This offers convenience and ease of use. I do not want to stream, just play ripped cds. Am I correct though in saying here the digital data on the cd can only be accessed from the internet? Going with Naim is though the expensive option.

2. NAS plus DAC. I would want this to be standalone but connected to my amplifier so in the same room. I would prefer that I was able to rip directly to the hard storage and access it in a  similar manner to the Core, i.e. via an app or similar. Is this possible? Also possibly the cheaper option.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by bongoman
Charles44 posted:

Thanks for all the feedback on this question, it has made me think. There are two ways to go I feel -

1. The core plus a DAC. This offers convenience and ease of use. I do not want to stream, just play ripped cds. Am I correct though in saying here the digital data on the cd can only be accessed from the internet? Going with Naim is though the expensive option.

2. NAS plus DAC. I would want this to be standalone but connected to my amplifier so in the same room. I would prefer that I was able to rip directly to the hard storage and access it in a  similar manner to the Core, i.e. via an app or similar. Is this possible? Also possibly the cheaper option.

For 1. you will need an internet connection for the Core so it can access CD metadata etc., when ripping. I use mine wired into a switch with my NDX2 with very satisfactory results.

Although option 2 is cheaper, I would consider carefully SQ of Core vs nas drive. I only have experience of the Core (with nDAC and more recently in uPnP mode) and have found the SQ to be excellent. I have no experience of nas drives but some here have reported SQ to be inferior to the Core.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Pcd

Charlie, with the Core you can rip and edit using the Naim app with a NAS you will need some form of computer and software ie dbpoweramp or similar.

I would visit your dealer he should  be able to show and demonstrate both options.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by ChrisSU
Charles44 posted:

Remember that most NAS drives don’t have an SPDIF output suitable for connecting directly to a DAC. I believe some QNAP models do, but this is not usual, and may not be up to the same standard as the Core. With a NAS, you would typically use a streamer rather than just a DAC and play it over your network.