SuperCap DR Rack Position

Posted by: Filipe on 07 January 2019

The photo shows my kit.

The left hand rack is (bottom to top) : 300 Head, 252, Rega Aura but one loan instead of Aria 

The right is 300DR PS, SuperCap DR, 555DR PS, gap, CDX2, nDAC powered by 555DR, Rega RP10/ Aphelion

all on Naim glass, cups and balls. 

As an experiment after a clean and redress I swapped the 555DR and SuperCap. The sound didn’t return to what I was expecting. The simplest description is that the excitement went. Bass texture was absent (hard instead), backing instruments/voices recessed. Things just didn’t sound right on some music (Kate Bush remastered vol 1 CDs, early Genesis). As I wasn’t sure whether it was just being slow to warm up I left it a few days. Anyhow the two PS are back in the right order and Kate Bush ‘Never for Ever’ sounds amazing once more rather than weird!

So I will assure you the cable dressing was done meticulously on both occasions.

So would I be right to think that 300 Head and SuperCap DR side by side is really bad?

I do hear the 300 DR PS is noisy, hence the extra space above it. 

[@mention:1566878603992423] do you have an explanation? I have always been appreciative of your advise, and of the forum as a whole.

Phil

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by boom

An extra bonus if it all works out. Much more aesthetically pleasing IMO.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Filipe
Darke Bear posted:

After an extended power-down it needs a day to get back into the performance envelope you normally expect I find. A quick power-down gets everything back in a couple of hours and if off for a day or more I find I really only feel it is performing right after several days.

One thing that can have a negative effect is too many empty levels close together in the same rack. I normally find the lowest base-level open and one other higher-up works well. Try putting a weight (preferable a HiFi box) on the empty second level up on the right and see if it changes the presentation.

I only really know Fraim so it may not apply to other racks, but it may.

DB.

[@mention:1566878603992423], Thanks for your feedback. I’ve put the records back and added some records to the two empty shelves on the right. I think the system is taking a while to settle - it seems best to play continuously at the moment as on Saturday after a night of rest it seemed to dull, but it picked up with playing. I will drop the CDX2 down when things settle down more.

Another question: My plug order is

300 & CDX2 (bare as transport)

blank & 555

SC & blank

nDAC & blank

blank & Aria

I tried the CDX2 at the bottom with the Aria but it sounded a bit ordinary. At the top my system earth is directly on the incoming mains. Should I keep the 300 a bit further away perhaps down one?

Phil

boom posted:

An extra bonus if it all works out. Much more aesthetically pleasing IMO.

I agree that it is more aesthetically pleasing. My wife was not happy, feeling the HiFi is taking over our lounge! However, maybe acceptance is coming, but two arm chairs have been temporarily removed.

Soundwise, the plug position tweaking as mentioned continues! For whatever reason the best overall sound has quite powerful bass. I wouldn’t say there is a boom, which I imagine is just at certain frequencies. It’s a characteristic of the last few weeks. The speakers are not toed-in much. I’d like to be able to calm it a bit. Not sure whether to move the speaker forward or alter the toe. Any suggestions?

Phil

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by S3

Phil, it looks like the hifi took over your sitting room quite a while ago????

Having your set up on three racks looks much better IMHO. Enjoy the tweaking..

Best

David

S3 posted:

Phil, it looks like the hifi took over your sitting room quite a while ago????

Having your set up on three racks looks much better IMHO. Enjoy the tweaking..

Best

David

Haha, David! It’s a 6m x 5m room. Still love the speakers.

Phil

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Filipe

As this version of the forum is closing in 18 hours, I thought I better do an update. 

The powerful bass effects reported yesterday seem more in balance today. I’d say everything is sounded very balanced, and the soundstage and music is much much better presented than ever before. So I for one am very ????.

I much prefer the appearance with three racks and am even liking the different heights of the racks and lack of straight lines! I can investigate getting different length legs to ensure cables are off the floor without the need for pipe insulation. I will also get a TT wall kit for the RP10.

To summarise:

- It seems to me that power supplies and other boxes do interact so spacing and whether boxes such as SuperCap and preamps are top does matter;

- You need to experiment for yourselves particularly if you find instruments and voices are recessed - it may not be necessary to give in to upgraditis!

- Don’t be quick to dismiss changes as it can take time (days or even nearer a week) for your system to settle again.

There is a possibility that as I massaged the 555 Burndy after [@mention:1566878603873289]’s post on what to do that I was spurred to make the changes by the cable causing weird sounds! But hey I’m in a better place now.

Phil

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by S3

Well done Phil. I’m thinking about getting some longer legs to support the top level of each of my racks. The intention being to (I) raise the 252 up 70mm so that the SL IC can hang without touching the floor (via pipe insulation which is the current situation; and (II) give the 252 a bit more separation/ space from the NDS below it.

Regards

David

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU

Good to hear things have improved, Phil. I agree that three short racks look better, I thought those two tall stacks looked a bit imposing....and a bit like giant Jenga!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Filipe
ChrisSU posted:

Good to hear things have improved, Phil. I agree that three short racks look better, I thought those two tall stacks looked a bit imposing....and a bit like giant Jenga!

Chris, it’s good to feel I’ve made progress. After a big dip I feel I have more than recovered the lost ground, and it looks much better. Unnerving at the time. 

Phil