Evolving the Naim Forum

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 10 January 2019

Hi everyone,

For the Naim family, conversation and discussion is everything (apart from the music of course!)

We love to encourage the debate and support the sharing of some extraordinary expertise across the Naim Forum, and it is one of the foundations of our world. We all participate in the community in different ways, and to varying degrees, but one thing is for sure, it is fascinating, informative, passionate, and loads of fun.

So, we want to make it even easier to do this, and we’re going to be moving to a new Forum software platform from Tuesday 15th January 2019. Yes, it’ll be a change, but we're not just changing things for the sake of it. It’s a decision that’s not been taken lightly, and is simply intended to make it easier for you all to continue to do what you do best – share your thoughts, frustrations, expertise and aspirations. For example, you’ll be able to access elements of the Forum more easily from more devices, but the fundamentals of the Forum will remain as they are today.

And it goes without saying, you’ll be able to access and search all old and current topics. It may take a couple of weeks as we continue preparing an archive of all existing Forum posts, but we will lose nothing as we make the transition.

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool to create a more dynamic community, shaped by the feedback you provide, but it also gives all Forum members the opportunity to run their own polls too. Other features include the ability to access the Forum through a mobile app and post images directly, making the Forum a much more visually exciting place too. 

I’m sure some may be concerned by the move but we are doing this to help evolve and continue supporting the Naim Forum as the heart of our community. We look forward to feedback as the team move things across, and please bear with us as we do so, it’s a significant team effort. I’m sensitive to the fact that the change may not suit everyone straight away, but we’re genuinely doing it for the right reasons – to ensure the future of the Naim Forum as the heart of our community.

There is a link to FAQs relating to this HERE.

Thanks,
Charlie, Richard, and the Naim Forum team.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Michael_B.

That all sounds very positive. Thank you for keeping us in the picture 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by blythe

I'd better make a note of my system etc. to add to my "new" profile!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Jan-Erik Nordoen

If the new forum format evokes autonomous sensory meridian response, I'm in.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Sloop John B

Maybe I just have an evil mind BUT has it been considered that if I get up early in the morning and I have to create  a new profile I can become HH, SiS, R0tf, Stu, Berlin Fritz,  polarbear or whoever is still sleeping  in bed. 

Some thought should be given to allowing us to keep usernames we have used for many years on the forum. It is very unusual for a forum upgrade not to allow for this and I’m on quite a few forums that have gone though various iterations. At the very least there should be a mechanism for users to claim a username used on the old forum misappropriated by a  ne’er  do good. 

.sjb

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bart
Jan-Erik Nordoen posted:

If the new forum format evokes autonomous sensory meridian response, I'm in.

If that's not possible, just make it good.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by nigelb
dave marshall posted:
Gazza posted:
dave marshall posted:
Kevin-W posted:

Will our forum rankings be maintained [@mention:77737380917463397]?

................... blimey, I can see a few feathers being ruffled over that one!   

I have no clue why feathers would be ruffled, lost on me.

Kevin's enquiry, (as yet unanswered), made me chuckle, as I suspect that to some, their Community Ranking is much more important to them than is strictly healthy.

Sorry, it's just the old cynic in me coming out! 

Bu**er! I have sucked up, tried to be witty, been polite (well most of the time), loved the moderator, all in a monumental struggle to get to 64th in the most important ranking in the world, and for what?

Do I really have to start again? I am not sure I have the inclination or energy to be so bl**dy politically correct anymore. No, I've had enough. i simply don't have the experience of HH or Black Bear, nor the wit of..well…you know the smart Alecs I am talking about! No, I am retiring hurt, and will just listen to music.

But what music? I assume the Music Room will be retained. And…and…what will folk in the know think about the new next thing from Naim? I am going to need to visit the Hi-Fi Corner for that. Can't rely on the HiFi mags to satisfy that fix!

Looks like I am going to have to continue to lurk in this place.

If I do, the Fez is going nowhere! OK?

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

MangoMonkey no more?

Sloop John B posted:

Maybe I just have an evil mind BUT has it been considered that if I get up early in the morning and I have to create  a new profile I can become HH, SiS, R0tf, Stu, Berlin Fritz,  polarbear or whoever is still sleeping  in bed. 

Some thought should be given to allowing us to keep usernames we have used for many years on the forum. It is very unusual for a forum upgrade not to allow for this and I’m on quite a few forums that have gone though various iterations. At the very least there should be a mechanism for users to claim a username used on the old forum misappropriated by a  ne’er  do good. 

.sjb

Hear, hear.

Also, having shot from oblivion to #24 in a mere 18 years (with a short bask at #16) and now faced with erasure, I wish to be immortalized at #33 1/3, where I briefly resided. It was a happy place.

Sloop John B posted:

Maybe I just have an evil mind BUT has it been considered that if I get up early in the morning and I have to create  a new profile I can become <snip> Berlin Fritz <snip>

yes please

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Xenasys

Is this update over the air or do we have to download it to a USB stick lol !!!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Chag...

I am really looking forward to it. ??????????????????

Are we going to have more emoticons to play with?

Chag -

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Claus-Thoegersen

Using a screen reader such moves are interesting, witch often translates to challenging. I can see you have beta tested this, and it would have been interesting to be in on that test. For now I will just hope that the new software is reasonable screen reader accessible, hopefully better than the current forum software, or that you can convince the provider to make changes if it is in bad accessibility shape.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by ChrisSU
nigelb posted
the Fez is going nowhere!

Sounds like you have the perfect new forum name lined up, Nigel!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Mike-B
Chag... posted:

I am really looking forward to it. ??????????????????

Are we going to have more emoticons to play with?

Chag -

Ahhhhh !!!   no no please.  This is a forum for grown ups.  They should be confined to the playgrounds & bouncy castles of the twittersheres & faceaches.   

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Showing your age Mike 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by David Hendon
David O'Higgins posted:
Tony2011 posted:
David O'Higgins posted:

Tuesday 15th of what month?

It’s all there in Charlie’s FAQ  for those who bother  to read it:

When will the old Forum stop working?
The old Forum will cease operation on the 15th January 2019 at 8am (GMT) and will be removed from the website for a short while. It will them come back online as an archive, available to be browsed and searched for years to come.”

Thanks Tony. Shouldn’t have to read FAQ for the date.

David

The full date was in Charlie’s original post actually (or maybe it was edited in later by Richard possibly).

best

David

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by james n

Will the new Forum be moderated?

The new Forum will continue to be moderated in the same way as the previous one. (Hopefully this will continue to be Richard...)

Are the rules the same?

We have taken this opportunity to revisit our Forum rules, so please be aware of this when using the new Forum. (Interesting, hopefully nothing too draconian)

Roll on the 15th

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by rackkit

Are we keeping all the forums eg Home Theatre which Naim are no longer involved in and doesn't see much action apart from a committed few. 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Allan Milne

I'm going to have to think about this … this thread  exemplifies what I find very frustrating about the forum.

I've identified the accessibility issue (as has Klaus) but then it is buried in all the drivle about league positions and usernames. This is typical of a number of posts I've tried to read.

Suggestions:

1. Forget about league positions, just have a few "standings"; e.g. newbee, user, experienced, senior, expert; especially if these can be judged on quality of posts and responses in terms of likes, usefulness, etc.

2. Get rid of the drivle by differentiating between posting (a reply that is relevant directly to the topic) and commenting (for all the other stuff); then we can read the posts without the irrelevant and vainglourius comments.

3. Do not allow usernames - it is considered good practice in many spheres to use real names … posters should have the courage of their convictions.

Well I might give it a little try next week but I must admit I do not do so with a lot of optimism, either for the accessibility or the posts.

Allan

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by TomSer

At last!  This is great news! 

The current search engine is almost useless.  Lets hope the new one will be more efficient  

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Richard Dane
rackkit posted:

Are we keeping all the forums eg Home Theatre which Naim are no longer involved in and doesn't see much action apart from a committed few. 

Yup, the existing room structure will remain as is for now. 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by David Hendon

Some of us already use our real names. But personally it doesn’t bother me if others prefer for whatever reason to use a forum name which is different. You soon get to know which postings to ignore!

best

David

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Allan, I noted your accessibility concerns last night and will ask the forum developer about it today.

I agree, I would much prefer if everyone used their real names, or a at least some kind of derivation of same. However, we can't force anyone to do it, and we must respect those who feel uncomfortable doing so.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Clive B

I recall the use of full names being discouraged on this or the former Naim forum some time back owing to the risk of undesirables being able to identify properties where expensive equipment is located. I thinks this was wise advice and it is why I revised my forum name.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Mike-B

It would be nice to keep existing names no matter what,  these are the "characters" we are used to chatting with & although some are quite obscure,  so what.    Would also be nice to keep existing avatars for those who choose to do so, it's how I - & I guess most on the forum - first recognise who the poster is.