The Hugo of streaming?

Posted by: charlesphoto on 14 June 2016

Ha, knew that would get your attention!

I was using my UQ1 for streaming only purposes to the DAC V1 via a good s/pdif cable, but was never entirely happy with the set up, esp as the UQ was mostly going to waste. My budget wasn't much, and I didn't want to just move over to another streamer, esp as the asynch USB on the V1 is one of its main features, and supposedly better sounding than coax. I considered a Mac Mini, but then started reading over on the Computer Audiophile forum raves about the forthcoming Sonore microRendu. So last week I got in on the second batch and have had one up and running since Friday with an iFi power supply until I get a proper linear power supply for it (probably the upcoming Uptone LPS based on charging ultracapacitors). 

For those not in the know, the microRendu is about the size of a small flip phone, only connects ethernet in and USB out, and runs a small custom linux OS on an sd card that is accessed headless with a really simple and easy GUI. It was built with low noise hardware and the best sound throughput as the top priority. Took all of under five minutes to set up. It has several modes: Squeezelite, DLNA (regular and open home), NAA Roon/HQ player mode, airshare and I think maybe one other. I have mine running in upnp mode from my Vortexbox using the Lumin app as a controller. Currently also running Roon as a trial, but for what it costs and the hardware requirements its not for me at the moment. Cool app though, esp if you have a big collection.

From the moment I plugged the microRendu in I knew that it was game over. And it just keeps getting better as it burns in; I also added an Atlas Element USB cable that sounds really nice for the price. I think the likes of already fringe companies like Aurender and Auralic have got to be more than bit worried about what these even more fringe upstarts are doing. I'm not really the best person to be doing comparisons because I've never had the $ to change out gear like some do, or work my way up a heirarchy like Naim. But it really is extraordinarily impressive, made my old set up sound "broken" even (and I thought it sounded pretty damn good). I never thought I would have a hifi this good due to $. Lots of talk in hifi about "inky blackness" which I've never really experienced until now. Reverb esp - its like it just floats out into an empty void. A bit disconcerting at first actually! Also the balance is perfect - voices are right where they should be, piano sounds totally natural (the true test imo), nothing recesses or comes forward in any strange way. I was experiencing some fatigue before and now that's history. The only fatigue now is from staying up to late listening to music nonstop!! 

So, if you're looking at streaming options and have a dac (or plan on getting one), then you should check out the mR. Imo its' this years Hugo - a serious game changer, at least as far as where USB audio is at. For me it's all I'll ever need in that regard. And the UQ is now happy and wonderful sounding where it should be, in my basement office, utilizing all of its functions.   

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by charlesphoto
Hmack posted:
charlesphoto posted:

Oh man, good for you guys! But I’m still sticking where I’m at (being the op of this thread): DAC V1 with Uptone UPSCB to microRendu 1.4 with an LPS-1 and custom ‘cable’ (12ga OCC solid, with Oyaide connectors and an LT3405 in the middle). NUC 7i5 with Roon ROCK down in the closet with linear power supply and a newer Cisco 2960L-16PS serving the whole house. The microRendu sends Roon to the UQ v1 in the office. Sounds great. Haven’t felt the need to monkey in months! 

The one change I would recommend is a firmware upgrade to version 2.5. This is available for around £20 in the form of a replacement SD card. This allowed me to do away with the need for bubbleUPnP on my microRendu & made a dramatic difference to the reliability of my microRendu setup. 

Oh yeah. Actually bigger was the change to the 1.4 board with Femto clock, but they no longer offer that upgrade. 

Posted on: 28 December 2018 by nbpf
Hmack posted:

I would just like to put in a word for the support that Jesus from Sonore provides for the microRendu and ultraRendu products. He has resolved any problems I have had (mostly to do with MQA) very quickly indeed. The ultraRendu and microRendu (since the 2.5/2.7 firmware updates) are now extremely reliable. The occasional drops from the network that I used to experience just don’t occur any more.

I really don’t think you could go wrong with the ultraRendu with a decent linear power supply like the latest sBooster. If you did go for one & didn’t like it you could probably get most of your money back on Ebay. In my opinion, definitely a better option than a Raspberry Pi or Mac mini.

I agree that the Sonore products are great values and it is good to know that the support is excellent. The problems start when one looks for an integrated server + renderer solutions or for network renderers with electrical S/PDIF outputs. Then good options become quite rare and one is lead to deploy multiple boxes or to buy devices with integrated DACs. From this perspective, the Allo DigiOne interfaces are a real blessing. But it would be good to have a few more viable options. The dCS Network Bridge is certainly one. They even have a user manual, thus one can at least check what one gets before committing. It will be interesting to see how companies react to NUC/AL, perhaps low power devices with more RAM will supersede the current solutions? And next year we will likely see a Raspberry Pi 4, perhaps with enough RAM to run a minimal system?

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Brilliant
nbpf posted:
Brilliant posted:

I am also running a Pentium 7th gen NUC/Audiolinux (full OS in RAM)/LMS/squeezelite. It certainly edges the uRendu in timbrel resolution. What I am not quite sure about is if it equals the uR in timing resolution. It seems to me that the uR stops me in the tracks for the emotional connection/impact, a bit more so than the NUC/AL does.  Note that the comparison is not quite on the level as the uR setup is JRiver/MPD and the NUC  is LMS/squeezelite. .

However I tend to agree with M. that the NUC/AL (in RAM), is astonishing , easily noticed on piano recordings !

Happy New Year!

Do you find that running from RAM is mandatory for a NUC/AL system to achieve this level of sound quality? Both NUC devices and AL use standard technologies and software, thus perhaps the crucial feature is in fact running the OS in RAM?

Yes -  there is a big SQ jump when run so (I run without any drives connected, USB or otherwise).

Posted on: 30 December 2018 by nbpf
Brilliant posted:
nbpf posted:
Brilliant posted:

I am also running a Pentium 7th gen NUC/Audiolinux (full OS in RAM)/LMS/squeezelite. It certainly edges the uRendu in timbrel resolution. What I am not quite sure about is if it equals the uR in timing resolution. It seems to me that the uR stops me in the tracks for the emotional connection/impact, a bit more so than the NUC/AL does.  Note that the comparison is not quite on the level as the uR setup is JRiver/MPD and the NUC  is LMS/squeezelite. .

However I tend to agree with M. that the NUC/AL (in RAM), is astonishing , easily noticed on piano recordings !

Happy New Year!

Do you find that running from RAM is mandatory for a NUC/AL system to achieve this level of sound quality? Both NUC devices and AL use standard technologies and software, thus perhaps the crucial feature is in fact running the OS in RAM?

Yes -  there is a big SQ jump when run so (I run without any drives connected, USB or otherwise).

Thanks!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by analogmusic

Nbfp 

Is there a reason you prefer electrical SPDIF ?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by nbpf
analogmusic posted:

Nbfp 

Is there a reason you prefer electrical SPDIF ?

You mean over optical S/PDIF? The Naim DAC has only electrical and optical S/PDIF inputs and I tend to prefer electrical inputs sound-quality wise. I have not done detailed comparisons, though. The Allo DigiOne Signature has no optical output.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by analogmusic

ok thanks, now understood. not sure if you ever tried the hi-fi berry which does have an optical output.