SuperLine Loading Thread.

Posted by: Julian H on 26 April 2008

Since there are now a few SUPERLINE's about and many are expecting them shortly I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could all contribute our experiences.

Please keep all discussions on topic. The ultimate intention is to have a database of users opinion for each of the various cartridges being used.
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by glevethan
Julian

Too late for me - I already purchased my Keel/Radikal so the opportunity of getting the Urika at favorable pricing has past. I am happy with my SuperLine/HiCap Big Grin

Gregg
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Exdem Phono to Din Hi-Line is the way to go.
Its not fun burning the thing in Winker

Running in is so important to Superline, Hi-Line and Urika performance as Julian and Munch have indicated. Needless to say, I'm running in Andy's Urika before I deliver it.

KR

Peter
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by Cymbiosis
Frank, I think you are on another wind up.

There are many happy users of both Superline and Urika as you know so what's the problem?

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to where you heard and how the Urika was powered. Maybe this was a contributory factor in your rather atypical observations regarding it's performance!

KR

Peter

P.S. Moderation on the Linn Forum is very infrequent IMHO as compared to other places you know! Smile
Posted on: 17 December 2009 by kuma
Peter,

I think Frank has discovered that a non Linn or Naim phonostage can be just as nice albeit they all sound different.
Posted on: 18 December 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
Peter,

I think Frank has discovered that a non Linn or Naim phonostage can be just as nice albeit they all sound different.

Oh yes, I know and this is great Smile It's the same as Geoff's I believe. It's just the methodology behind the Urika evaluation I'm raising a question about, as these are not my findings.

Why try and power a Urika from anything other than a Radikal, as it is designed to be used on a Sondek together with the Radikal. Makes no sense.

Hence my "wind-up" comment.

We all know Frank likes a bit of a wind up! Big Grin

KR

Peter
Posted on: 18 December 2009 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
Peter,
The you dont need a Radikal to power it,Frank means the KK.

Ah! Red Face LOL! Serves me right for reading the Forum when Sian Williams is presenting breakfast News! Big Grin Evidently can't concentrate!

KR

Peter Big Grin
Posted on: 18 December 2009 by gone
Blimey Peter, it's Susanna Reid for me every time! Cool
Posted on: 19 December 2009 by Chris Dolan
quote:
Originally posted by Cymbiosis:
Ah! Red Face LOL! Serves me right for reading the Forum when Sian Williams is presenting breakfast News! Big Grin Evidently can't concentrate!

but wasn't the relevant post at 22:36 on Thursday - it surely must have been a different distraction? Winker
Posted on: 16 January 2010 by FangfossFlyer
My experience of an Akiva with a Superline:

Back in November I made a posting on this “Urika v Superline – the Truth” thread, now closed, as regards my home comparison between the Superline and Urika.

I expressed how delighted I was with the SL and felt it was right for what I enjoyed in music but that the Urika did have something.

Well…..

I have just traded in my old Akiva (c 1,500 hours) in for a new one and had it expertly fitted at home, and my LP12 tuned, by that master of the LP12 in the North UK namely David from The SORG (York).

I had quite a shock as I was not expecting such a dramatic improvement as the new Akiva just sang from the first few notes, once again my system has leapt forward another level…it is incredible and I can't thank David enough…I can’t believe it can get any better (although I said that after the Keel, then the Superline then the Radikal and now a new Akiva!).

But the real revelation was that my system now has some of the good traits I enjoyed in the Urika LP12 home demo in terms of tighter base and detail but without loosing the music, rhythm and life of the Superline that I prefered. So maybe these traits were not the Urika but of a relatively new Akiva?

So I conclude that my previous home demo of a Urika v my Superline was not on a level playing field as the Urika’d LP12 had a relatively new Akiva where as my Superline’d LP12 had a relatively worn out one but even after that I preferred the SL!

Now I am like a cat with two tails. I am sat in the study typing this and I think John Martyn has returned to us and is playing in my living room!

What is sure is that the Urika may have been designed with the Akiva in mind and be a great product but also that the Superline and Akiva are also an incredibly musical combination!

For the record: Loading remains 1nf + 576R (not air plugs).

Richard
Posted on: 16 January 2010 by kuma
Richard,

Many claim a cartridge can last up to 3-4k hours but I think that that the reality is not too many would perform optimally passed 1000 hr. range.

My Linn dealer told me that the Akiva would last about 2k hrs. but when I took in mine and compared against the brand new one, there was a night and day difference.

Even he was surprised to hear that since most of his clients don't swap a cartridge this early. ( less than 2 year mark )

for the record: Loading remains 590R no cap on Airplug on a non Cirkused = Mana'd Sondek.
Posted on: 16 January 2010 by FangfossFlyer
Kuma,

Interesting that you use 590R and no cap - is this with the Akiva?

As it was suggested to me to try mine with no cap.

Richard
Posted on: 18 January 2010 by kuma
Richard,

Yes the 590R/no cap is for the Akiva.

Note that my Sondek has no Cirkus fitted and I use an ARO instead of a Linn arm.
Posted on: 23 February 2010 by Old Parkland
Ultimately found no plugs at all best with the SPU royal blue navy.
A probable new superline improvement involves the phono leads that lock into rear of the superline.
Has anyone tried completely unlocking these leads. When I did this I delicately centred the leads as they now move about.
Found this lifts another thin veil while giving an even more comfortably musical result.
Have found another improvement non superline which Ill post later.
Posted on: 27 February 2010 by kuma
Audio Technica: AT33EV

I've settled at 300R/ no cap. A 590R was also good albeit the trebles started to thin out too much on this cartridge.
100R, 220R and *all open* sounded too slow and lost the midrange. A 500R was also lacklustre and I found the midrange too recessed on this loading.
It might be good to try a 560R ( K loading ) but I don't have the correct resistors to make one up.

I've a friend with an AT 33PTG and he uses the 560R plug albeit its internal loading differs from the 33EV.
It's on the Phonosophie No.3 with a P3PS. This is a punchy groovy cartridge and well fleshed out midrange but the bass can stick a bit so I also had to back off on the VTF just a smidge. ( but the anti-skate was kept at 2g )

Incidentally, a Linto was a total disaster on this. (Its fixed loading probably doesn't agree with the cartridge. )
Posted on: 03 March 2010 by Timbo
Apologies if this is already been done, but I'm having problems using the "find" function.

Do we have any recommendations for the loading of a Rega Apheta, seriously considering replacing my DV17D3 with one.

I'm assuming it would be better quality than the DV XX2.

Thanks

Tim
Posted on: 03 March 2010 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by Timbo:
Do we have any recommendations for the loading of a Rega Apheta, seriously considering replacing my DV17D3 with one.

I'm assuming it would be better quality than the DV XX2.

Tim

Timbo,

I see from yoy profile that you are using amongst other things a P9 and SL2s.

Well the Alpheta will be quite a lot brighter than the 17D3, so is this what you want in your system? Sure, it's very revealing and plays tunes well - good PRaT but for me, the very forward presentation meant I just couldnt enjoy the music. For me the XX2 is an easy choice, balanced, very musical, bags of PRaT and light years ahead of the 17D/3 if set-up and loaded correctly. Best results so far are with an Airplug using a 453R load.

Try and get some demos before you buy. If you cannot, then the safe bet is the XX2 as it never fails to please in my experience.

KR

Peter
Posted on: 03 March 2010 by jacques (JD12)
Hi Peter,

On my Superline/Aroed LP12 I have in mind to replace my Supex 900 MkIV when it will be on it's knees by a Dyn XX2/2 or may be a Lyra Delos to stay in a respectable budget of 1000 £.
Have you, or some of others nice guys here any experience of Lyra carts and of the new Delos (I know the XX2/2 is a good match for my config).

KR also

Jacques
Posted on: 03 March 2010 by Cymbiosis
I have a Delos on order and should have it in about a month I hope. I'll know more then as to how it compares to the XX2 and which loads suit.

KR

Peter
Posted on: 03 March 2010 by kuma
quote:
Well the Alpheta will be quite a lot brighter than the 17D3, so is this what you want in your system? Sure, it's very revealing and plays tunes well - good PRaT but for me, the very forward presentation meant I just couldnt enjoy the music.

Peter,

That's interesting.

I've also listened to the Apheta ( ARO/LP12 ) with a Superline. We left the loading at 590R ( same as Akiva ) and found it too incissive also. We did not bother cycling through the loading because it was so far out there. ( Just switch to the Akiva was much easier fix ) Big Grin

Out of curiosity, which loading did you use on the Superline with Apheta?

Delos, indeed, would be interesting one to hear.
Posted on: 03 March 2010 by pt109
quote:
Originally posted by jacques:
Have you, or some of others nice guys here any experience of Lyra carts and of the new Delos

I'm currently using a Delos on my SME TT, very detailled without any harshness, stylus silent in the groove, and mids are warmish (for a Lyra). Output is healthy at 0.6mv.
I'm not done evaluating it as I've been playing around with a few phonostages recently.And just changed my amp.
Posted on: 04 March 2010 by jacques (JD12)
Thank you, I'll wait like Peter. It seems not very common to fit an Aro with a Lyra and the Delos is too recent to have reports.

Jacques
Posted on: 04 March 2010 by Timbo
Thank you Peter, I've been scanning the internet for reviews and pretty much all of them draw the same conclusion. I've had an XX2 before and like it, plus I have found out that I should get a trade in allowance on a new DV Smile

In your opinion is the P9 up to a TK rua as i have always wanted one of those?

Cheers

Tim
Posted on: 04 March 2010 by kuma
jacues,

on the contrary, ARO/Lyra pairing seems to be rather common around this neck of the woods.

Their house sound is leaner than your Supex but just as good in a different way.

Generally their output volutage is higher than what Naim stage wants to see, excpet a Helikon SL and Olympus, but all should work with a lower output version of SL.
Posted on: 04 March 2010 by Cymbiosis
Glad to help where I can guys Smile

quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
Peter,

That's interesting.

I've also listened to the Apheta ( ARO/LP12 ) with a Superline. We left the loading at 590R ( same as Akiva ) and found it too incissive also. We did not bother cycling through the loading because it was so far out there.

Out of curiosity, which loading did you use on the Superline with Apheta?

It was over a year since I tried one last and I just can't remember. Pretty sure I cycled through the range from 100R up to 576R, but remember that although it did many things very well, I just couldn't get on with it Frown Shame as it offered a lot and it's a good price too.

Anyway, I'm off to move Jon Honeyball's complete system to his new house today.... and tomorrow, so I won't be about for a while! Eek

KR

Peter
Posted on: 05 March 2010 by fixedwheel
quote:
Anyway, I'm off to move Jon Honeyball's complete system to his new house today.... and tomorrow, so I won't be about for a while! Eek

Mind your back, and don't lose the Blu-Tac! Winker

John