what was the last cd you bought?

Posted by: AL4N on 13 March 2004

after a suggestion,i have split up the old topic into this one and what was your last vinyl purchase.I hope it makes life easier.
so to get things off and running
queen--the highlander sound track
Posted on: 31 March 2004 by Mekon
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
Mum - Nightly Cares
Super_Collider - Head On (+ bonus CD)
Posted on: 31 March 2004 by Dev B
quote:
Originally posted by kj burrell:
Tomasz Stanko Quintet, Suspended Night. Lovely chamber jazz. A lot of the reviews have it pegged as similar to Kind of Blue, but it's more comtemorary than that. Some of it feels like a close relative to EST and the trumpet has a Kenny wheeler like tone - must be the ECM studio effect.

I bought this last week and it is a beautiful record. More sparse than his previous 'the soul of things' but great nonetheless.

A great record!
Posted on: 02 April 2004 by BigH47
Just dropped through the letterbox via E-Bay:-
The Magical Sounds of Banco de Gaia.
Track 1 playing atm. Smile

Howard
Posted on: 02 April 2004 by sideshowbob
quote:
Originally posted by Mekon:
Aphex Twin - Windowlicker
Mum - Nightly Cares
Super_Collider - Head On (+ bonus CD)

Is that Mum their new one? Any comments? I really liked their first two records, I've heard a track or two from the new one and wasn't entirely convinced.

-- Ian
Posted on: 04 April 2004 by BigH47
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Best of Horslips
SWMBO got 3 DVDs to make up the 3 for £30 in Virgin.

Howard

[This message was edited by BigH47 on Sun 04 April 2004 at 16:42.]
Posted on: 04 April 2004 by Not For Me
Pet Shop Boys - Flamboyant
[With remixes by DJ Hell, Tomcraft]

DS

ITC - Roger Devlin - The Information
Posted on: 06 April 2004 by Mekon
Ian - Nightly Cares doesn't do anything unexpected, it's just very Mum. However, Once in a shiny morning puddle has a strangely New Order-ish thing going on, so it's all good.
Posted on: 06 April 2004 by sideshowbob
Cheers Mekon. Suppose I'm going to have to buy it...

-- Ian
Posted on: 06 April 2004 by kj burrell
quote:
Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out

Alex: do YTL hit the spot for you? I've still no got round to the Joy Zipper cd: is it still playing or has it slipped quietly onto the shelf?

This weekend fell victim to hmv sale syndrome. Went out to get a cheap copy of Leon on dvd, came home with:

Split by the Groundhogs - a mate "borrowed" my vinyl copy 20 years ago! Great 70's rock - but I forgot that I no longer like 70's rock Confused

Jaco Pastorious: 1st solo: awesome bass playing, lots of noodling

Elbow: Cast of Thousands: A lovely record, if a little grumpy mainstream

and then..
I'm Your Man, Leonard Cohen bloody aweful. I once heard Take This Waltz on a movie soundtrack , some adaptation of a Julian Barnes novel in french, sounded great. This, however, is dire - good songs, but horrible 80's pop arrangements.

Should've gone for the latest Tortoise, which I actually wanted to buy but left in the shop.

Don't you hate hmv sales?

Kevin
Posted on: 06 April 2004 by BigH47
E-bay purchase:-
Jap pressing Stop making Sense - Talking Heads
Sounds excellent.

Howard Big Grin
Posted on: 07 April 2004 by ErikL
Alex,

When will the YLT collection be completed? We must know.

FWIW I haven't purchased any music in a few weeks but my list keeps growing.
Posted on: 08 April 2004 by kj burrell
Alex

picked up a copy of the Joy Zipper cd today - 2nd hand!! quite lovely.

re: YLT 2 recommendations:
1) Fakebook: more like Jonathan Richman that YLT but one of the loveliest records ever - cover versions of all sorts of obscure songs, a Kinks song,a Flamin Groovies and a couple of YLTs own. Wonderfully uplifting stuff.
2) The Sound of the Sound of Science: only available via their website - very ambient and ethereal: all instrumental .

Any views on these Ludwig?

Kevin
Posted on: 08 April 2004 by ErikL
quote:
Originally posted by kj burrell:
re: YLT 2 recommendations:
1) Fakebook...
2) The Sound of the Sound of Science...

Any views on these Ludwig?

Well, I don't own either one. TSoTSoS has always been elusive (ah ha- website only!) and Fakebook has hidden on my to-do list for years. Your comments are noted, and Fakebook especially has now moved up my list. There are no more excuses.

PS- Alex G, have you read these comments by Mr. Burrell? You know you want to buy these albums immediately. Re: the Jad Fair album, a few comments from Amazon reviewers: "jad fair's cutesy contrivances are so utterly unclever and outright annoying that they make this unlistenable", "An exercise in weirdness, but little more than that", "the novelty of the funny titles wears off fast and Jad's vocals are just plain annoying most of the time".
Posted on: 08 April 2004 by ErikL
Algervonshpongler,

Those B&S discs will be gathering dust from now on.
Posted on: 09 April 2004 by simcat
This month so far :
Dexter Gordon "Our man in Paris" and "Go". But best of all The Shins "Oh, Inverted World" and "Chutes Too Narrow". Keep playing the Shins as its a nice sunny day...

Simcat

"Dogs have owners but Cats have staff"

Posted on: 09 April 2004 by ErikL
Ordered thanks to forum recommendations and the valuable Pitchfork "best new" list:

Yo La Tengo- Fakebook (KJ Burrell)
TV On The Radio- Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes (PF)
Dios- Dios (PF)
Pixies- Come On Pilgrim (Alex G; I've always resisted EP's! Eek)
Iron & Wine- Our Endless Numbered Days (PF)
Destroyer- Your Blues (PF)
Of Montreal- Satanic Panic In The Attic (PF)
Nathan Michel- Dear Bicycle (PF)
Modest Mouse- Good News For People Who Love Bad News (still the best band ever from Issaquah! Cool)
Oneida- Secret Wars (ejl)
Vijay Iyer/Mike Ladd- In What Language? (Mekon)
man'sbestfriend- New Human Is Illegal (me; the new Sole album)
The Cansecos- Upper Class (PF, from Darla)

And a cookbook too... Moosewood Cooks at Home: Fast and Easy Recipes for Any Day (my sister Big Grin)
Posted on: 10 April 2004 by andy c
hi,
Ok I am sad. I have reached new lows....
Britteny Spears - In the Zone.

andy c!
Posted on: 11 April 2004 by andy c
Hey AG,

I know! Big Grin

abc
Posted on: 11 April 2004 by kj burrell
Diverse purchases this weekend:
Robert Johnson sings Eric Clap... sorry, King of the Delta Blues Singers - £4.99 in hmv sale!
Stereolab Dots and Loops - been meaning to get round to this for ages
Bill Frisell, The Intercontinentals - a great"world music"/jazz/country fusion. Not usually my sort of thing but read about it, had a listen in Borders and took it home keeping the receipt handy. It is quite lovely, intricate, haunting music although I also worry that I'm going a bit coffee table when I put world music on. I've never gone for it wholesale - got some Farke Toure, some cuban stuff, Fela Kuti, but enjoy things like Arto Lindsay more ( or Zorn, of course)where its mixed in with some beats and noise. Is there anything else I should look out??

Kevin
Posted on: 13 April 2004 by BigH47
Via E-Bay
U.F.Orb.
OT/T now

Howard
Posted on: 14 April 2004 by Mekon
Various - Reich Remixed

I saw the London Sinfonietta perform Pendulum Music, Violin Phase, and Six Maribas at the Warp thingy, so thought I might try this as an intro to his other stuff. Not sure if it is very representative, but it's fun.
Posted on: 14 April 2004 by Mekon
scuba_suit - music to chop your chicken to
Posted on: 14 April 2004 by BigH47
Via E-Bay
Shpongle Tales of Inexpressible.
Very good thanks for the reco whoever it was. Is this representative of their stuff?
Howard
Posted on: 15 April 2004 by BigH47
A couple more via E-Bay:-
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left.
Eurythmics - Peace.

CD singles from charity shop:-
Bonnie Rait - Silver Lining
Billy Joel - River of Dreams &
Jon Bon Jovi - Always for 'er in doors.

Howard Big Grin

OCDP Nick Drake Five Leaves Left.
Posted on: 15 April 2004 by Simon Perry