NaimNet Cheap option

Posted by: Niklas on 07 March 2007

I'm a new member, coming from the world of high bitrate MP3s and active monitors. Listening to my friend's 282/200 & Allae has changed my feeling on how to listen. My system is exact, his has LIFE.

On to the theory. It seems that the new NaimNet amp NNP2 will be around £1000. It has a digital in, so I assume that the DAC resides in the amp as opposed to the Naim Music Server. The fact that the information is supposed to travel digitally from the NaimNet Music Server to the NaimNet amp also supports this.

Now, if I rip my collection into lossless FLAC or similar (on my computer), with EAC for error correction, the information will be complete. The computer then converts FLAC to PCM which goes via LAN to a nifty device called the Squeezebox, which sends it on to the NaimNet amp via optical. In theory, there should be no loss of information, except for possible jitter in the last optical stage.

The Squeezebox is £200, upgrading your computer with an extra 200GB harddrive is £100. I wonder if there is any difference in audio to the NaimNet music servers at ten times that price?

The crucial questions are: do the amps have a DAC, and is it possible to run (and control) the NaimNet amp without a connected Music Server?

Much appreciating your advice and thoughts on this, I'm aching to get my hands on an NNP 2 and a pair of Allaes in order to enjoy the same level of music as my friend, at a third of the price...
Posted on: 08 March 2007 by Thomas Breding
Dan, this is my question too. Here is one clue:

According to the NaimNet leaflet you can plug in your ipod to be played through the audiophile DAC (on the NaimNet server I guess???). See quote from page with info the connection on the front on all SERVERS:

"Local iPod – Digital Playback and Control
• Plays through the Naim audiophile DACs rather than the iPod analogue headphone socket. "

So there must be a DAC in the server (an audiphile one even!!! Eek ). And it seems like a waste to have one "only" for the iPod.

I for sure would like to see a DIN connection on the servers ( I know that the top model have one) to plug in to my 282.

Speculation oh speculation. C´mon NAIM, feed us with some more info!!!

/Thomas
Posted on: 08 March 2007 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Originally posted by dan scott:
Thanks, at least its started somewhere, that's good to know. Now just for the mainstream to get into it and the CD could have increased competition.

Another idea would be for someone to do a "CD-Ripper" transport that would enable people to take high quality rips from a transport designed to minimise jitter etc.

Dan

That's what my Yamaha HD1300-CDR does - there is also the more advanced Alesis MasterLink DL-9600 on which you can your recordings in 24-bit, 96kHZ and even edit them and apply high-resolution parametric EQ and normalising and I think it makes the tea too.

Best regards, Rotf
Posted on: 08 March 2007 by yeti.fro
quote:
According to the NaimNet leaflet you can plug in your ipod to be played through the audiophile DAC (on the NaimNet server I guess???). See quote from page with info the connection on the front on all SERVERS:

"Local iPod – Digital Playback and Control
• Plays through the Naim audiophile DACs rather than the iPod analogue headphone socket. "

So there must be a DAC in the server (an audiphile one even!!! Eek ). And it seems like a waste to have one "only" for the iPod.

Thomas,

sorry, I cant follow you. You connect an iPod digitally to a server, which transports the music digitally to a client, which does the DA-conversion. What makes you think, there´s a DAC in the server?

brgds..TC
Posted on: 08 March 2007 by Niklas
Personally, I'm a bit bummed by the inability to control the amp and the music from a PC. Once I have the music server, I can manage it from a PC, in order to have it access the PCs files. But why not simply use the PC and let software do the trick? In fact, if there is a need, people always tend to make ways...
Posted on: 08 March 2007 by dan scott
So many questions! so much speculation! I guess we'll never know until more info and suggested systems are released (Also a pricelist as that could change a lot if ideas!)

Naim must have a system in mind that can bolt into an existing Naim 2 channel system.
Posted on: 08 March 2007 by chicago_phile
Yeti -

quote:
Local iPod – Digital Playback and Control

So there must be a DAC in the server (an audiphile one even!!! ). And it seems like a waste to have one "only" for the iPod.

If you look at this link: http://www.naimnet.com/installer.htm

and download the installer brochure - it reads slightly differently to say that the "iPod playback is through the server audiophile DACs", so there must be DACs on the server...
Posted on: 08 March 2007 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
Originally posted by Niklas:
Personally, I'm a bit bummed by the inability to control the amp and the music from a PC. Once I have the music server, I can manage it from a PC, in order to have it access the PCs files. But why not simply use the PC and let software do the trick? In fact, if there is a need, people always tend to make ways...

I wouldn't want to use a PC - directly I need a PC to operate something then it becomes a non-starter in my Microsoft-free house. The unit needs to operate in its own right and dependency on a PC will make it less and less likely that I'd want to buy it. Unless the aforementioned PC is running AmigaOS. Smile
Posted on: 08 March 2007 by sonofcolin
quote:
I wouldn't want to use a PC - directly I need a PC to operate something then it becomes a non-starter in my Microsoft-free house

VNC / Remote desktop is a very good reason to use a computer as a music source.
Posted on: 09 March 2007 by Niklas
ROTF: The Netstreams interface is in Flash, hence works on most platforms (possibly not on Amiga or SX81 though...) Winker

Sonofcolin: Interesting. I've pretty much given up on the Naimnet now that it seems one must have the musicserver, which for me is a waste of £3000, something I'd much rather spend on SL2's. I don't need multiroom or lighting control, I need to rip my collection into bit-perfect and have it reach the DAC in pristine form. I guess I'm back to my trusty Squeezebox feeding DAC through optical, then onto a Nait 5. Would VNC be another option? Could it control a Netstreams compatible device?

It is important to note that NaimNet is hardware that works on the Netstreams platform. There are many other brands, and there may be other solutions.

Thomas an I will do some testing though, and we'll see what surfaces!
Posted on: 09 March 2007 by TDI
quote:
Originally posted by themrock:..I for myself have ripped my cds (more than 1000) to mp3 256 VBR and only 85 GB of the harddisk is full.
Before i choose 256 mp3 i made a testrun with wav, flac and mp3 256 vbr and i didnt hear any difference, so i choose mp3...

Hi Themrock,

I also did some tests on compressed formats a while ago, and found that there was a big jump in quality going from MP3 to AAC at the same bitrate, especially if VBR is used.

I found that 128k AAC VBR sounded remarkably good, and 256k ACC VBR sounded indistinguishable from the original.
Posted on: 09 March 2007 by Keith L
quote:
I guess I'm back to my trusty Squeezebox feeding DAC through optical, then onto a Nait 5.

I thought the general consensus is that coax is better than optical.

Keith
Posted on: 09 March 2007 by Pressure
I too think a PC or Mac music server with a (subjectively) good DAC playing back WAVs or AIFFs (or possibly FLAC) could be a good, audiophile solution. It wouldn't do all the stuff that NaimNet does, but it would be fairly good - good enough for recording studios is you used something like a MOTU 828 or even Digidesign (or Apogee!) hardware. But it would be analogue output - a very good one, but not a Naim analogue output. Or you could use the digital out into the Supernait, which I suspect will sound very good on a decent DAC.

Maybe what's required is a USB connection for the SuperNait so it can be an external soundcard for a PC or Mac...

I'm surprised the genelecs are sucking the life out of the music, every time I've heard them they've been very good.
Posted on: 10 March 2007 by Macker
Having done a comparison of 320kbit MP3's (joint stereo, High quality mode) against Apple Lossless I am firmly in favour of the Apple format...teh MP3 sounded flat and uninteresting by comparison and lets face it, if you want to store your CD's digitally and play them back on high quality equipment then you want the quality to be preserved as much as possible.

A Lossy format can never be as good as a Lossless one...although good results are possible there is a difference and it's more than just noticable.