HDX magazine review.

Posted by: gary yeowell on 21 August 2008

Read an interesting article today, not sure of the mag, might have been Hifi News, but the reviewer made a very bold statement by saying that ripped CD's through the HDX/XPS2 was better than a CDS.... he did not say which CDS, but anyhow that's quite a bold statement and he was playing it through active DBL's so quite a revealing system.

I always take these opinions with a pinch of salt when they come from the comics, but you have to have something to read in Borders whilst drinking Starbuck's coffee. Just wondered if anyone had heard an HDX vs a good CD player and come to similar conclusions. It would seem that Linn are making similarly bold statements, bolder in fact, by stating the Linn DS is better than any CD player.

Gary.
Posted on: 22 August 2008 by Paul Stephenson
km, the hdx used at cheadle was a proto and is no where near what we are shipping today in performance terms. We never intended to release this version, the roadshow like some hifi shows was intended to give people a taste of what is to come and a chance to talk with naim directly.

As you say try and have another listen then let us all know, afterall I do think naim cd players are rather good. Smile so both ways are good for me.
Posted on: 22 August 2008 by kuma
Paul,

The unit I have heard was supposedly a production version.

Like I said, it will need longer audition and rip a few more files to assess but it performed better than I expected.

It is file dependent. ( I do not listen to audiophile quality music most of the time )

Perhaps, I should get this thing instead. Big Grin
Posted on: 23 August 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by garyi:
So in conclusion, those that own CDX2s and above feel the HDX is not as good,...

not me! Big Grin
Posted on: 23 August 2008 by The Strat (Fender)
I've heard the HDX (with 555PSU) at a Summer Sounds through a 282/300/SL2s. It was very impressive (with ripped files but we should remember that it is not Naim's intention that it should be used as an audiophile standard CDP)but the only way I'd discover how it compares with the CDX2/XPS2 would be through an extensive home demo in my system.

I've have to say though that at this stage with nearly 3,000 CDs it would only have limited use without additional external storage so I agree with our earlier correspondent when he says that it's simply easier to stick on a CD (or record). And given that for broadly the same money I could trade the CDX2 for a CDS3 I know what I'd do.

Fender (Strat)
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by pylod
looking forward to hear the hdx as well. but still not available here in norway.

any ideas when the NS REF or the HDS will ship ? in the schedule it was planed 1/2 a year later than the NS3 , which is in principle the HDX for the non-naimnet line. did naim change their planes and launched an own line in the hdx ? as far as i know, the NS3 canīt be upgraded with an external power supply ( xps ).

regards p
would it be possible to bublish the whole article from hifi choise as a pdf format or so ?

thanx p
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by Chris Kelly
quote:
The thought that a mint CDS1 is not "relevant" today is amusing.

Jon, having heard your magic box I can see exactly why you think so!
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by Chris Kelly
quote:
I am somewhat relieved that a CD555 still rulz.

You're not the only one! Winker
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by pylod:
would it be possible to bublish the whole article from hifi choise as a pdf format or so?

If you own the copyright (or are licensed to publish) yes.
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by thesherrif
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Kelly:
quote:
I am somewhat relieved that a CD555 still rulz.

You're not the only one! Winker

Ah, rulz over the HDX maybe, but since the HDX has ben "designed" not to compete with the DC555 is that a surprise?!

There are many non NAIM hdd solutions that would take the 555 to the cleaners.
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by thesherrif:
There are many non NAIM hdd solutions that would take the 555 to the cleaners.

Such as?
munch.

*close* isn't the same as taking it to the cleaners.

In a few years tho, I won't be surprsed if a HDX can surpass the performance of a 555. ( it's called progress )

But I've got the feeling it'll always be *depends* much like some LP sounds better than CDs and vice versa. ( software dependent )
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by John R.
Well, my HDX already surpasses my CDX2 by quite a lot although the HDX is only palying since one week... no doubt that hard drives are the way to go at the moment. In the near future probably some sort of solid memory.
of course i donīt own the copyright , i didnīt write it myselfe nor am i the publisher.but isaw some test reports published here on the site.so i thought it would be possible.

the german naim site is also publishing the test reports for download.

i just ask, because hifi choice is not available here for us.

regards p
munch,

There is a very little VFM in any upper end kit. ( especially digital playback )

So, Lavry DAC sounds like Naim eh? That's interesting.

At least you saved yourself Ģ13,400. Smile
munch.

I've done it already 5 years ago so I know what's involed to set up a contraption.
No dobut that a better kit might be available today.

It's a huge drag ripping correctly.
If I were to get back in again, I'd get a dedicated mac and Pro Tool.

Meanwhile, a CD555 is plenty good enough in case I want to spin some CDs.

Besides, I can't be totally motivated since I keep finding more interesting music on records. :x
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by ferenc
quote:
Originally posted by munch:
kuma,
The Lavry DA-10 with a Mac book comes very very close.

I am very sorry to say, it is not. Not even close to a CDS3 and XPS2. I had a chance to try several high-end audio DACs (Accuphase DC-101, Theta Generation VIII, several dCSs, Meitner, etc) and pro DACs (all the Lavrys, pro dCSs, Weiss, Mytek Digital, Protools, RMEs, TCElectronic, etc) with my Macs and compare them a CDS3/XPS2 and a CDS3/555PS (System: NAP500, NAC552, ProAc Response 4 speakers, Mana tables, Naim cabling and Audience Au24 for the non - Naim goodies) and in this Naim system, none of the Mac/external DAC solutions were comparable. In a non - Naim system you can get different results of course, but if you value the well known Naim values, it would be a bit strange to find the other equipments "better".

As my main job is pro audio and broadcast video system integration and planning, I got a chance not only to try everything I want in the pro world, but to live with them for a while as well.
ferenc,

that's interesting as well.

When I tried several DACs in the past, that's where I netted out. Upperend DACs inevitably are better than many entry level models, but none of them really sounded like a Naim DAC.

A 47Labs Shigaraki DAC at least had a same sort of disposition as a CDX and Gill Audio Elise valve DAC was similar to the CDS3/555PS I was running then.

The systems were all Naim albeit speakers were either my Briks or Wilson WATT.
I also used Naim digital cable because others I have on hand just altered the sound opposite of where I wanted to be.

When I finally heard an HDX, it was very apparent it had a Naim sound in spade.

p.s. How did the Weise sound? I was looking at their ADC.
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
A 47Labs Shigaraki DAC at least had a same sort of disposition as a CDX

Hi Kuma

I haven't heard the 47Labs DAC, but isn't it one that doesn't use any filters or oversampling? I'm sure it'll have a unique sound as a result - it would be interesting to hear.

ATB Rotf
quote:
Did you listen to the LavryDA-10 with a optic lead and the Macbook set up at its best at home in your Naim system?

Munch,

Jesus. You used a Toslink connection?

How bizarre... Toslink never sounded as good as coax on average. Confused
quote:
Originally posted by ROTF:
I haven't heard the 47Labs DAC, but isn't it one that doesn't use any filters or oversampling? I'm sure it'll have a unique sound as a result - it would be interesting to hear.

ROTF,

Yep. I think it's a non upsampling DAC.
A lack of some filter however, can cause some problems with non mac music player.
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
quote:
Did you listen to the LavryDA-10 with a optic lead and the Macbook set up at its best at home in your Naim system?

Munch,

Jesus. You used a Toslink connection?

How bizarre... Toslink never sounded as good as coax on average. Confused

Hi Kuma

If you have a look at the thread you will see that there are many who are using the above setup with the optic toslink lead. Quite a few respected members of the forum are obtaining significant results with said setup and cables. There comments and feedback have led me to shortly be pursuing the same path (Flashback and toslink already in house Big Grin) - as such I will be using their cable recommendations and setup in the hopes of obtaining the same outstanding results. It is a brave new world out there Smile

Regards
Gregg
Cool Gregg.

So, the Lavry/mac via toslink is the official Naim user's 555/HDX replacement. Smile

P.S. Who's the respected members of this Forum?
Posted on: 24 August 2008 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:

P.S. Who's the respected members of this Forum?

Kuma

I always hold George, GFFJ, in very high esteem and respect for his insightful postings. I also believe that, based on his longevity, he has heard quite a few of Naims offerings over the many years. If you look at his postings on the Lavry thread you will see that he has "turned the corner" ( Winker) and has now embraced computer playback.

Regards
Gregg

PS In my particular case the Lavry/Mac is not my official CDS3/555PS replacement - just supplement - to give me the luxury of uncompromised access to some of my collection - and prepare me for the day of ....
Gregg,

You might end up replacing your CDS3/555PS stack, too.

munch says Lavry/mac/toslink is really close to a 555.