What to do for a source

Posted by: freddie59 on 20 May 2008

Hi,

I currently have CD5X,202, 200.
Have a reasonably small CD collection and a larger collection on my computer.

I have that upgrade feeling again. However don't really want to get a CD player due to the ever changing digital world.

I have a Beresford DAC. So I would imagine this is a good short term solution to use as a source until things settle down.

So my question is what I should upgrade for now.

My end game is somewhere around (Source - unknown!) 282, supercap, 250mk2.

My speakers are B&W 805S, which I know to be a pretty tough load, I know people have a strong dislike for these but not gonna change them!...yet.

So my question is what you would suggest I upgrade for now, pre, power, power supply or source?

Thanks!

Fred
Posted on: 09 June 2008 by thesherrif
Gosh, you learn something every day !
I've never heard of these boxes that sit between a digital out and a DAC, and now I've heard the names Monarchy and GW Labs and have looked both of them up. Interesting stuff.

So I'm wondering, would one of these boxes sitting between the digital out of an Airport Express and the Supernait DAC make a difference? Would it make a difference to the digital out of a SKY HD box? What about my DVD player ?

All thoughts, suggestions etc are welcome
Posted on: 10 June 2008 by james n
A very interesting thread. My experiences have been with a SB3 and Duet. All files ripped as AIFF on a remote NAS with a spare Apple Powerbook as the server.

All into the digital input (coax) of a n-Vi into n-Sats.

SB3 - very good. Better than an Airport Express.
Duet - Slightly better than the SB3.
Duet via Ethernet - better still not suprising as the internal wireless card is powered off.
Duet with Welbourne labs linear PSU - better still - a general cleaner sound and deeper bass.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't sound as good as the n-Vi playing the original CD. Very close but bass still plays a better tune via CD.

I've got upgraditus at the mo so am tempted to start with a Supernait with either CD5X/FC2 or CDX2. I'm loathe to spend an excessive amount on a new CD player due to the arrival of the HDX and the possibility of HD5X components. If the Duet + SN compared to the CD5X then i'd be happy. Time to get a home demo of the SN i think Smile

James
Posted on: 15 July 2008 by Jack Barron
quote:
Originally posted by Steve S1:
DC,

So I can't speak for previous versions of the Airport Express or OS X as it's my first Mac, but this latest one works superbly. I was always concerned at what I hear as a slightly lean, uninvolving presentation with the DAC1 in my system, so I tried the Lavry, which I am using now as I prefer it. The presentation is more to my taste, and makes differences with my CDP hard to detect to the point of not being worth worrying about. The Lavry has a greater sense of weight to the sound than the DAC1, and an extended top end that compares favourably - I'll leave the techies to worry about which is more accurate, it's a subjective presentation thing that is bound to vary in different circumstances.

Steve

Thanks for the info. I've been streaming Apple Lossless files, via an Airport Express and Beresford, for the last year. The sound quality is pretty good considering I'm using a cheap DAC.

I was thinking about upgrading to a Benchmark, but will also try a Lavry. I like the idea that it has a greater sense of weight and an extended top end.

Of course it would be even better if Naim put out a great DAC that costs £1,000 or less.

Trying to find a shop in London that has a selection of DACs, and a Squeezebox/Duet, as well as Naim equipment is virtually impossible.

I assume this shop situation will change. Because sure as hell people playing digital files through their hi-fi is going to increase in the coming years.

The fact that Naim have the HDX, NaimNet, and have added a DAC to the SuperNait, is an acknowledgement of this.

Jack
Posted on: 15 July 2008 by pcstockton
Jack,

I have had wonderful results with my B-ford DAC. Even when connected directly to my cheap soundcard (with toslink out).

It will certainly get the job done until Naim releases their DAC(s). And that day cannot come soon enough.
Posted on: 15 July 2008 by thesherrif
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:
Jack,

I have had wonderful results with my B-ford DAC. Even when connected directly to my cheap soundcard (with toslink out).

It will certainly get the job done until Naim releases their DAC(s). And that day cannot come soon enough.

Not wanting to sound like a party pooper here, but what's going on? Are you saying that a Naim DAC is bound to be good just because it's a NAIM bit of kit?

Now Naim have produced a box (HDX) that's not even even the equivalent of (free) itunes and a Supernait and are flogging it for £4500. Given that the difference in quality between their cd players is probably 90% DAC what price do you think they will shove a DAC into the marketplace with? £1000? £2000? And how good will it be? As good as the SN DAC? I'll be pretty pissed off if it's better, but then again not surprised. At least it will show that Naim agree that the CD player is dead, and good job too.
Posted on: 15 July 2008 by pcstockton
quote:
Originally posted by thesherrif:
And how good will it be? As good as the SN DAC? I'll be pretty pissed off if it's better, but then again not surprised.

That is like me getting angry that a Superline betters the internal boards in my 102.

And not sure what your comment about the HDX vs Itunes refers to.

They are completely different things.

Are you saying the interface of the HDX pales in comparison to a PC/MAC running itunes?
Posted on: 23 July 2008 by thesherrif
A Naim DAC would have to compete in the DAC marketplace, and not simply sit in the NAIM range of boxes in a comfortable place where it cannot be criticised. If anyone says "oh, the new NAIM dac is better than the DAC in my 555" Naim will simply say it's progress !
Posted on: 28 July 2008 by rega1
quote:
Originally posted by gary1:
Just as an aside my dealer happens to be the sound/recording engineer for the the Naim record label and you'll have a hard time convincing him of SB3 over Sonos as I brought in the SB3 to his store and he and I and his partners listened to the various combinations of SB3/Sonos through the SN DAC and it was not even a contest.

The Konnekt 8-->SN DAC with his 24/96 A/D recordings wins hands down in the digital arena so far.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Gary1/ All - FYI, Speaking to Ken last week he said to rip/ convert a CD to 24/96 is a waste, as another person on this thread mentioned, you are just adding and taking away information by doing this, rip it to WAV/ Lossless, etc. and be done. It is not an original recording!!!

As far as ngregson and the "jittery" comment on music delivery with SONOS, never heard it, at home or at my Chicago dealer.

The guys in Chicago RIP 24/96 vinyl all day that as Gary says "is hands down in the digital arena". I have the chance to listen to new recordings almost every weekend. The latest was a friend of one of the owners. He brought in a jazz LP he recorded in 1976, transferred it to 24/96, burned it to CD for him, and away he went. I listend to the raw recording through the Konnect 8/SN DAC/SF Cremonas, and you would have thought it was a CDP. It is truly a work of art what those guys create. Live recordings at the Green Mill jazz club are just phenominal.

Good thread guys!!!!

rega1