Which 4K TV?

Posted by: nickpeacock on 30 January 2017

Recent purchase of Oppo 203 and flat move in two weeks' time might justify upgrade to 4K TV. House-warming present to self if you will...

Richer Sounds told me current 4K models may come down in price between now and April, when new models and price increases are expected.

So, the question is - which TV?

(Looking at 40" max - I really baulk at oversized models...)

Posted on: 04 February 2017 by Innocent Bystander

My two Panasonic plasmas seemed fine colour balance and saturation. My LG LED needed considerable reduction of saturation to be near natural, though overall colour balance seemed reasonable. But these are all just subjective for acceptability, not attempting to calibrate them. I can't remember how I may have tweaked the contrast on any, while brightness requirement depends on room brightness anyway.

Finkfan, is your country setting correct? (TV manufacturers might have preconceptions of native' skin tones...)

Posted on: 04 February 2017 by Finkfan

Hi IB. As far as I know it's set to U.K. Will have to check though 

Posted on: 04 February 2017 by nickpeacock
Mike-B posted:
...I have however just replaced a 10 y.o. 32inch flatscreen with a 4K 43inch,   but the TV is not 11 inch's bigger,  with the very narrow screen edges these days it has a bigger screen but only slightly bigger (wider) than the old model & most pleasing & why i chose this one is it still stands nice & discreetly on the TV cabinet.

Out of interest [@mention:1566878603907884], which brand did you buy?

There's a 43" LG model and a 40" Panasonic model which might suit me.

I can't bring myself to go to 49" and I'm not wall-mounting the TV.

Posted on: 04 February 2017 by Mike-B
nickpeacock posted:
Mike-B posted:
...I have however just replaced a 10 y.o. 32inch flatscreen with a 4K 43inch,

Out of interest [@mention:1566878603907884], which brand did you buy?   There's a 43" LG model and a 40" Panasonic model which might suit me.   I can't bring myself to go to 49" and I'm not wall-mounting the TV.

Hi Nick,  Sony KD43XD830.     I chose Sony for   1:  Comparing Sony, Panasonic & LG 4K models side by side in the store, the Sony picture was better.  2: The Sony cable mngt was neater    3: I have Sony Blue Ray & PVR & the new TV can link with them all & no need for a remote for each.      I am also anti wall mount.

Posted on: 05 February 2017 by djh1697

I would suggest you do a 'blind' viewing comparison! If you are going to have only 40" I doubt you will notice much difference, Having said that, 576i on a 55" screen is not the best of viewing experiences. I purchased a 55" Sony with built in PlaystationNow. The games are great at that size! I have a Netflix 4k subscription, and watching in 4k really is a benefit in nature documentaries, as for films and sports they are just as enjoyable in 1080i. Do you need to read the detail on a spectators scarf when watching football? 

Posted on: 05 February 2017 by Adam Zielinski

Yes - the blind test will be very helpful  

Posted on: 05 February 2017 by nickpeacock

I think I need to state publicly that playing video games will not be part of my TV usage. (And that I don't judge those whose usage differs in this respect from mine of course...)

Posted on: 22 February 2017 by Ravenswood10

I will update the Forum as soon as a have a response from LG but my wonderful new OLED TV has developed a stuck pixel 2/3 down the screen and it's bright green and only after 2 months! Evedently LG have some policy re 8 dead pixels for return but are somewhat more flexible with stuck pixels. We'll have to see - it is distracting expecially in dark scenes against those deep blacks.

My 13 year old daughter came home yesterday and spotted the flaw without me pointing it out. First ever TV with this issue so not best pleased. Let's see how LG customer service compares to Naim or not! If they won't play ball this could well be my first and last LG purchase.

Posted on: 22 February 2017 by nickpeacock

Eek that's not great.

I ended up getting a 43" LGUH750V. So far so good.

Posted on: 23 February 2017 by count.d
Ravenswood10 posted:

I will update the Forum as soon as a have a response from LG but my wonderful new OLED TV has developed a stuck pixel 2/3 down the screen and it's bright green and only after 2 months! Evedently LG have some policy re 8 dead pixels for return but are somewhat more flexible with stuck pixels. We'll have to see - it is distracting expecially in dark scenes against those deep blacks.

My 13 year old daughter came home yesterday and spotted the flaw without me pointing it out. First ever TV with this issue so not best pleased. Let's see how LG customer service compares to Naim or not! If they won't play ball this could well be my first and last LG purchase.

All tvs can develop stuck/dead pixels. Stuck pixel can solve itself again. I doubt LG will do something about 1 pixel though, or any other tv company.

Posted on: 23 February 2017 by Ravenswood10

Yes but not when they're less than 2 months old. The green pixel of death has been absent for the past couple of days which is just as well as LG has yet to reply. I've had 4 plasmas over the years and two LCDs elsewhere in the house and none developed pixel issues. Still at least the Oppo UDP 203s beta firmware update has resolved a number of issues. The joy of being an early adopter

Posted on: 24 February 2017 by Anto68

New Wallpaper Oled LG 2017 model W7

A step into the future

Posted on: 05 March 2017 by IanG

That's it !

After two faulty Sony TV's I've bitten the bullet, coughed up the extra money and ordered a 65" LG OLED. I hope they are as good as people say they are !

Thank goodness I bought from John Lewis who have made the return process as painless as possible.

Posted on: 05 March 2017 by Finkfan

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of LG! 

Posted on: 05 March 2017 by Ravenswood10

Not a good experience with Sony. My LG 55 inch has been excellent over the past couple of months I've had it. Slight wobble one month in with a bright green pixel which persisted 5 seconds even after the set was switched off but this seems to have rectified itself. LG customer services are keeping the report open should the green pixel of death reappear.

Love it with my Oppo 105D and 203 UHD players. To be honest on standard blue ray the 105 does an exellent job upscaling to 4K - at least to these  eyes and to be honest I've not been that impressed with some of the HDR discs - something a little artificial about them I feel.

Posted on: 05 March 2017 by IanG

Sony not good, but JL have dealt with it well so no worries, these things happen. The one I got yesterday was JL's last so I've kind of had my hand forced to look at something else.

I was originally convinced myself that rather than get a 55" OLED I'd benefit from the 65" Sony for roughly the same cost. 

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by IanG

Another LG OLED convert. The new TV is fantastic. Sony now a distant memory.

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by Ravenswood10

Glad you like it. My strange green pixel of doom came and went and all has been well for the last month or so. Fed with an Oppo UDP203 the pictures are superb and not at all bad even with plain old DVD.

Yes. Very pleased. I'm having it professionally calibrated on Friday. I've been mainly watching Sky this weekend. I watched about 10 minutes of The Revenant on 4K blu ray using an Oppo UDP203 just to check everything was working and it looked stunning.

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by Ravenswood10

well worth having it calibrated - although there are those who will say it's a waste of time. All in the eye of the beholder I say! Grayscale did mine as they did my Panasonic VT Plasma - incredible results and much better than playing around with those set-up discs.

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by Finkfan

Do the TVs need time to 'settle down' before calibration? I'll be looking for a new Tv soon. I'll be looking at Panasonic, Samsung and now maybe LG. Mot of my viewing will be via Sky but I quite fancy an Oppo too. 

I checked with the guy doing mine. He said around 30 hours use prior to calibration would be ok. I think I've done that this weekend . The LG OLED and Oppo are the first time I've really bought a high end TV and Blu Ray player and jolly impressed am I.

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by Finkfan

Great news! 

Posted on: 20 March 2017 by Don Atkinson

Ian,

Just to be clear, you ended up with an LG 65" OLED ? (it was only the Sony's that gave you some trouble and JL sorted you out with the 65" LG ?)

No doubt these 65" OLED LG's come in various guises ?

And Oppo are about to bring out a new 205 - which will be slightly different to the new 203 ? so worth waiting for ?

My Pioneer Kuro is still looking good, but.......................it's about time to change !

After two faulty Sony's, I decided to try the LG OLED instead and paid the price difference. It wasn't a free upgrade if that is what you're asking Don ?

As I understand, the main difference between the Oppo 203 and 205 will be in the DAC/sound processing capabilities not picture processing. If you plan to use the full music capabilities as a universal player then the 205 may be the one to go for. If your main usage will just be watching films, the 203 is probably adequate.

That said, my understanding may be wrong...