An occasional thread for standout purchases

Posted by: Bruce Woodhouse on 11 February 2018

Alela Diane - Cusp

I never find the long lists of purchased CDs and downloads inspire me much so here is a thread for people to pick out occasional highlights of their purchasing and maybe add a bit more detail if they want. I hope it means people will find new music they like.

I've bought all of Alela Dianes's work but this is richer and seems more consistent than other albums.

There is a bit of Laura Veirs or KD Lang in her style (although she is from Oregon not Canada) and early albums were more dusty folk/country. This latest is smoother and lyrically really interesting and it engages over several listens. A subtle pleasure but high quality I think.

If you like this try her previous albums (To Be Still possibly the best, if a bit spikier) and maybe Anna Tivel's excellent recent brace of Small Believer from last year and Heroes Walking from 2016. Very good indie country folk albums with great storytelling-style songs and a clean and natural style. Again quiet and simple albums but worth the effort.

There is a review of Cusp below with some samples. I note also that 7Digital and Qobuz have a good price for it in High Res just now although the former seems to change day to day

Cheers Bruce

https://www.theguardian.com/mu...iew-songs-motherhood

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by nickpeacock
Jonners posted:

One of the bands which are hard to classify but who churn out consistently good Country-esque material which is beautifully recorded are The Jayhawks. This album from 2003 is I think their best and I return to it time and time again:

Image result for the jayhawks rainy day music

+1.

Brilliant album. ‘All the Right Reasons’ is a beautiful track.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Hmack
Jonners posted:

One of the bands which are hard to classify but who churn out consistently good Country-esque material which is beautifully recorded are The Jayhawks. This album from 2003 is I think their best and I return to it time and time again:

Thanks for the recommendation - just been listening to a few of their albums on Tidal.

A lot of their stuff is very reminiscent of The Flying Burrito Brothers (and Gram Parsons) from the 70s.

Wonderful & very nostalgic.  

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Bruce Woodhouse

I think from The Jayhawks you have to go to Wilco, and that will keep you going for a long and very happy time!

Bruce

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Chunky
Jonners posted:

All of the Jayhawks albums are excellent.  I agree, though, this is arguably the best.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

That got me thinking of " The Mohawks" The champ.

https://img.discogs.com/iBBPlJnuiH-3JYU1D8h2x9bY06w=/fit-in/600x593/filters:strip_icc[):format[jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-1384082-1438004432-9361.jpeg.jpg

A standout release from 1968.