Favourite TV Theme Tunes

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 26 May 2018

What are your favourite TV theme tunes ?

Movie soundtracks and scores often get a mention on this forum.  I don't recall much mention of the humble TV Theme tune though.

Admittedly there is a fine line between annoying but clever ditties, nostalgic fondness, real musical merit and utter nonsense.

I have a few albums of this genre, but nothing gets as much played as those Ron Grainer complilations. Ron was pretty much responsible for every quality theme for uk series from the 60s to 80s.    The late 70s complilations even included "disco" versions of well known themes.

Posted on: 27 May 2018 by Morton

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Skip

https://youtu.be/CpxJsy8nfjA?t=30

Can't make the video work but this link will do if you skip the ad.

We took our son shopping for an accordion at Dave's Accordion School in Los Angeles.   About that time, James Fearnley of the Pogues brought his accordion in for a tune up before his St. Patrick's Day gig that night.   He got the attention of all the serious people in the shop,  We continued to look until James left, and at that time our son had selected a couple to try.  

The service guy who had just gotten James fixed, sat down with each selection and played the theme song to Hawaii Five 0, with all the parts on each accordion.    Check out the links and imagine this on the accordion.   It was amazing live.

Needless to say, we bought an accordion that day.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Xenasys

Top of The Pops

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by thebigfredc

The Onedin Line.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Nick Lees

Ask The Family - Joe Harriot/John Mayer

The original 60s theme from the family quiz show

And the later 70s version

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by enw

How about UFO  - science fiction from 1970s

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Stevee_S

Another very good theme tune from the early 60's, Danger Man starring (The Prisoner, "I am not a number....") Patrick McGoohan.

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Geoff C

Some already mentioned - Avengers, Persuaders, Taxi, but also this - because my son was growing up with it when it was first broadcast, and the great stories made him want to become a scriptwriter for Film and Television.

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Gianluigi Mazzorana

Hey Geoff! Hope you're good!

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Kevin-W

Anyone of a certain age (55) will have fond memories of the ITV kids' series Ace of wands, with its fab theme tune by the Quo's Andy Bown:

Great series, great theme tune:

Gerry Anderson's first series with real actors as opposed to puppets, UFO, was made in 1969, set in 1980 and broadcast in 1970. For some reason, ITV deemed this dark series (the darkest Anderson ever did) suitable Saturday teamtime fodder. Why my mum ever let seven year old me watch a show about aliens harvesting humans for their organs is just as much of a mystery. The theme was one of Barry Gray's best.

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:

Gerry Anderson's first series with real actors as opposed to puppets, UFO, was made in 1969, set in 1980 and broadcast in 1970. For some reason, ITV deemed this dark series (the darkest Anderson ever did) suitable Saturday teamtime fodder. Why my mum ever let seven year old me watch a show about aliens harvesting humans for their organs is just as much of a mystery. The theme was one of Barry Gray's best.

Used to love that series.  Even as a youngest I was never too sure about the string vests sported by some of the men but the women' costumes 

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by sjbabbey

Surely it must be the original Dr Who theme. So good Pink Floyd nicked it.

Anyone remember the classic 1975 BBC pandemic drama, Survivors? The theme wasn't a bangin' tune by any means but it was hugely evocative...

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Geoff C
Gianluigi Mazzorana posted:

Hey Geoff! Hope you're good!

Hi, yes I'm good thank you - still designing and keeping an eye on all things naim!

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

Screen Test

No doubt the most bangin' tune ever to front a small screen

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by schuhmab

Greenback Boogie - Suits theme song

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Stevee_S

How could I have possibly forgotten this one! Tour of Duty ('80's series) with the Stones Paint it Black as a theme tune. 

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Kevin-W

Who can forget the immortal theme to Man About The House, by the great Johnny Hawksworth?

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by sjt

The Muppet Show! Great to sing especially when you've had a few.

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Nick Lees
Stevee_S posted:

How could I have possibly forgotten this one! Tour of Duty ('80's series) with the Stones Paint it Black as a theme tune. 

You did post it - on the 25th May

Not enough Sanatogen Steve!

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by GraemeH

’Versailles’ is pretty haunting.

G

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Stevee_S
Nick Lees posted:
Stevee_S posted:

You did post it - on the 25th May

Not enough Sanatogen Steve!

Are you sure it was me, Nick? This thread started on the 26th... 

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Nick Lees
Stevee_S posted:

Tour of Duty - Rolling Stones  

Doh. What’s a day between friends? <hic!>