And the new, modern-day cardinal rule of the Naim forum is ....

Posted by: joerand on 09 June 2018

???

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Interestingly, my first IMFs sounded good to me in every room in which I used them - 5 different rooms, though one was a short stint in a flat where I never played very loud. Their bigger replacement did likewise in 4 locations when I had them, and now in someone else’s house. I did have trouble getting sound right in one room, but it was an oddly-shaped room and was solved using REW to find a room arrangement that worked, necessitating a completely different layout from that originally planned. 

I don’t know if that is luck, or because all rooms were big enough (all somewhat larger than typical UK living room size), or because the speaker design might makes it in some way less susceptible to some room effects (they are transmission line designs), or if I was simply insensitive to whatever imperfections each room imposed.

However, the best any speaker has ever sounded to me is the larger of the IMFs outdoors - with no room effects....

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Massimo Bertola
Ardbeg10y posted:

From what age onwards is someone middle aged? 35? 40? 45?

You're middle age the first moment you see a woman who's more than 18 but less than 30 and erase her from your thoughts because she's too young.

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

So not early 60s, then...

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse
Massimo Bertola posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:

From what age onwards is someone middle aged? 35? 40? 45?

You're middle age the first moment you see a woman who's more than 18 but less than 30 and erase her from your thoughts because she's too young.

A very Italian viewpoint I would say!

Middle-age for me is being old enough, wise enough, confident enough and also secure enough to do the things I enjoy, with the people I like more often. It is a positive not a negative.

Bruce

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Mike-B
Massimo Bertola posted:

I've got a long way to go on that measure Max,  if the sap is still rising ........   

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by joerand

I figured I hit middle-age the first time I went into a room and forgot why I'd gone in there. Fortunately I'm still at the stage where I can go back to the previous room and remember.

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Oh dear, that means I was middle aged in my 20s. Must be way past old age now!

If I’m beyond old age, perhaps I’m dead - or, he thinks existentially, maybe I’m simply a figment of my own imagination, as is everyone on here - though that surely indicates a warped imagination! However whilst I don’t know why I would imagine Brexit, it surely means I can reverse it, so all will turn out well in the end. (maybe the same goes for the T word...)

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by joerand
Innocent Bystander posted:

Oh dear, that means I was middle aged in my 20s. Must be way past old age now!

Hah! Maybe the better measure then is that you happily back-track into the previous room because it will log more hits on your step counter

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by feeling_zen

From reading posts on any thread at all, one could be fogiven for thinking that the cardinal rules are:

1) To pay as much lip service to sounding open minded and accepting of other preferences as possible while at the same time...

2) Finding a suitable passive aggressive way of putting down any preference that diverges from your own.

3) Never failing to link the value of your gear to the value of your opinion as if the two could somehow be related.

4) Under no circumstances use search. Just repeat the same foxtrotting question as many times as you like. 

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by Kevin Richardson
joerand posted:

???

The number 1 rule is "don't discuss the most important topic of our day. Pretend like HiFi still matters."

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by joerand
Kevin Richardson posted:
"don't discuss the most important topic of our day."

Trump posts are banned, although today you could get there laterally via Putin posts.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Huge
joerand posted:
Kevin Richardson posted:
"don't discuss the most important topic of our day."

Trump posts are banned, although today you could get there laterally via Putin posts.

Or even more indirectly via golf and putting posts!