Best frontman in a British rock band

Posted by: Charles44 on 09 June 2018

Well, it has to be Chris Youlden, Savoy Brown late 60's very early 70's.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by fatcat

Nearly a week into the thread and no mention of THE greatest frontmant of a British rock band.

Ronnie James Dio.

Probably the greatest metal vocalist, but he was far more than that. Not just a hired singer, he influenced and seemed to inspire the musicians he played with, in a very positive manner. All the Sabbath and Rainbow albums he sang on where all top notch, as where the first three Dio albums.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Paper Plane

Freddie

Robert P

Matt B for 21st Centry

Bruce D

steve

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Steve...?  Harley? Winwood? Wilson?

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by GraemeH
Innocent Bystander posted:

Steve...?  Harley? Winwood? Wilson?

Steve PAPER PLANE I think.

G

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Premmyboy

Ian Hunter Allo.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by kevin J Carden

Noddy Holder? Only half joking 

More seriously, I’d say a coin toss between Freddie and Jagger. Fred was an even greater showman, a better singer and (perhaps?) made more of a contribution to writing the big songs, but Mick has kept it going for more than half a Century. Tough choice. 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by hungryhalibut

How about Siouxsie Sioux? Though she’d have to be best frontwoman. Actually I’d nominate (as nobody seems keen on Morrissey - the best frontman ever) Ian Curtis. He was absolutely mesmerising live. 

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by wenger2015

Just saw Mr Jagger in action last night, I have never been his biggest fan but to give credit when it’s due, his energy level was exceptional, his ability to captivate an audience, sheer charisma....absolutely superb..... bearing in mind he’s been strutting his stuff for 50 years plus.... 

possibly agree with KEVIN J CARDEN....Freddie probably  a better Singer and Song writer 

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Shep

I'm not sure which part of Ireland he was from but for me Rory Gallagher.  Best live band I ever saw.

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Shep

Sorry.  Full stop key got stuck.

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by joerand
Hmack posted:

Joerand posted:

Hmack posted:

And by the way, Scotland's national sport is football (we kick the ball with our feet) and not golf.

I got golf via a quick google. Frankly I suspected it would be curling.

Unfortunately, 'global warming' has undermined our prowess at our 2nd national sport. Our once natural curling rinks don't freeze over in the winter any more.   

Well I do know that true curling stones originate from Ailsa Craig and no amount of global warming should undermine that, although the island was up for sale recently.

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Bart
hungryhalibut posted:

Morrissey. 

You still going on about the Smiths?  

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Bart

As for presence in front of a band and in front of a crowd, I'd probably have to vote Jagger #1 and Daltrey #1A.  Robert Plant tied at 1A??  I cannot say that Jagger is MY favorite, but in terms of what a front man does I'd have to call him the best at it.

Bono is / was quite good too the 2 times I've seen him.

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by wenger2015
Bart posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

Morrissey. 

You still going on about the Smiths?  

Morrissey has the charisma of a dead fish ???? 

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by mudwolf

10 years ago an acquaintance corrected meant said SCOTS! not Scotish! what do I care about semantics? not much

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by Owen Davies

Just back from the Stones gig at Twickenham, Mick Jagger’s still got it and gets my vote!

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Romi

For me the best Rock frontman to do the cover of the song 'Love Hurts' was Dan McAfferty of Nazareth.  He simply just nails it, its as if the song was specificly composed for his voice.  The pain and anguish are so expressly conveyed  by his style of singing, its hard not to feel emotional.

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Hmack
mudwolf posted:

10 years ago an acquaintance corrected meant said SCOTS! not Scotish! what do I care about semantics? not much

'Scot' and 'Scottish' are both OK, but 'Scotch' is not (except as a drink, preferably neat). 

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Hmack

My vote for best British frontman would go to Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, Freddie Mercury and Paul Rogers - probably in that order.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Mike1951

Ian Curtis.

No fakery. 

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Proterra

My vote would go to Bruce Guthro front man of the biggest band no one knows. RUNRIG. best thing to come out of Scotland. 40 years on they are still filling stadiums throughout Europe and the UKat this very moment.  They play their very last concert this August in Stirling to approx 30000 fans. 

They play music that has a passion and a cause and tells a story in English and Gaelic. I challenge you to listen to their last Album , The Story.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://www.billboard.com/files/media/barry-gibb-knighted-2018-billboard-1548.jpg

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by groover45
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

For me it has to be Freddie Mercury....

Another vote for Freddie Mercury.

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by Mike1951

Adrian Borland. 

Also genuine. No 'rawk' dick-waving look at me nonsense....

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by northpole

Robert Plant gets my vote.

Freddie Mercury stole Live Aid with a virtuoso performance.  Queen's music was spot on for that occasion.  Led Zep were embarrassing and I suspect that performance fueled their later O2 concert where they nailed it.

I can't deny Mick Jagger his dues - heck of a front man.

Roger Daltrey probably too but I could never relate to their music.

Paul Rogers and Free were superb but I always regarded them as a tight unit, without Paul emerging so much as a front man.

Peter