Tour De France 2018

Posted by: Tabby cat on 02 July 2018

Who is everyone routing for on this years tour ?

Just got the news this morning that Chris Froome will be riding it as the UCI are dropping his doping enquiry.

I would love to see Chris Froome win it again and Peter Sagan win the Green Jersey

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/10/17/1/tourdefrance2018_1_670.jpg

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by naim_nymph

It would seem Tejay Van Garderen, Rigoberto Uran, Romain Bardet, and especially Richie Porte got the bad luck card from the cobbles.

Good day for the yellow jersey wearer gaining so much time, and despite many luckier riders moving up the GC leader board they are further behind in time.

Although i'm a team Trek-Segafredo fan and couldn't be happier with the winner result at Roubaix,, and at risk of being a killjoy, IMO these cobble stage races are too dangerous, unpredictable, and haphazard for serious TdF intensions in finding the strongest-fittest-fastest bicycle rider. Too much of the race results in plain bad luck and at the riders expense of blood, bandages, and broken bones. There comes a time when entertainment value and armchair/television sensational spectacle is putting riders heath at too higher risk.

Debs

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by Tabby cat

Wow what a day on the pave that was yesterday.It was like watching Paris Roubaix but in summer.Shame about Richie Porte.He certainly has the most rotten luck in the TDF.Looking forward to the mountains tomorrow and the G.C contenders coming to the fore.

Debs,

Big thankyou for taking the time to post the G.C from Sunday - Top stuff

https://s.golondon.info/section/newsInText/upload/images/news/intext/000/038/431/chris-froome_5b4c4f62425f4.jpg

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by fatcat

Things are looking good at the moment. I put as little E/W bet on Steven Kruijswijk and I haven’t jinxed him yet. I got the feeling he was using the Giro as a training ride, if he hits form, he’s in with a chance of a podium place.

I can’t gloat too much at home, (yet) my wife’s bet on Rafal Majka. Although I’m expecting him to fail miserably in the time trial.

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by naim_nymph

Tuesday 17th July 2018

Stage 10

Will Geraint be wearing yellow after todays stage i wonder? : )

Debs

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by seakayaker

Have enjoyed the TDF again this year, tape every stage and enjoy it to no end. Impressive athletes and team discipline shines through. I am not much of a bike rider but am captivated by this event each year. Looking forward to the mountain stages over the next few days! The change with going from 10 riders down to 8 certainly impacts a team dramatically when they start to loss riders. Always interesting to see the composition of the riders on each team to support their leader.  Lots of good story lines this year, nice to see some of the new riders moving up with a few of the old guard sliding back.

Anybody who can get through all the stages must be in absolute heaven the first time they do it, for the folks who get to do this a 2nd to...... 18 time must have their sanity checked!

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by joerand
naim_nymph posted:

IMO these cobble stage races are too dangerous, unpredictable, and haphazard for serious TdF intensions in finding the strongest-fittest-fastest bicycle rider.

You missed "best all around rider"; hence I feel the cobbles should remain included. I suppose the number of cobble sectors within the stage could be argued.

On a similar topic, "best all around rider" kinda begs for a stage with a velodrome finish, though I don't really see that as practical given the number of riders. There have been previous stage finishes on auto race tracks, but to my knowledge no real number of laps involved.

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I think the cobbled sections are just fine. They are a part of the culture of N European racing. They provide drama and sometimes real risk/reward. I appreciate that they are is luck involved but the best riders generally are there or thereabouts at the end. Richie Porte's crash was just a few km from the start on a normal road.

Flat, cobbles, downhill finishes, summit finishes, time trials etc all good in my view. I think it risks being two races otherwise. Sprinters on the flat and climbers for GC without the variety of these different profile days. The fascination of the Tour is the blend of abilities, teamwork and strategy, not just fastest and fittest.

I've ridden a couple of cobbled sections in Belgium. Blimey they are horrible and you really have to commit to make progress. Never feel the need to ride any again!

Bruce

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by naim_nymph

Classification results of La Course - Women's road race [by Le Tour de France]

RANKRIDERRIDER NO.TEAMTIMESGAPBP
1ANNEMIEK VAN VLEUTEN1MITCHELTON SCOTT03H 20' 43''---
2ANNA VAN DER BREGGEN16BOELS DOLMANS CYCLINGTEAM03H 20' 44''+ 00H 00' 01''--
3ASHLEIGH MOOLMAN-PASIO71CERVELO - BIGLA PRO CYCLING TEAM03H 22' 05''+ 00H 01' 22''--
4CECILIE UTTRUP LUDWIG75CERVELO - BIGLA PRO CYCLING TEAM03H 22' 41''+ 00H 01' 58''--
5MEGAN GUARNIER13BOELS DOLMANS CYCLINGTEAM03H 23' 02''+ 00H 02' 19''--
6KATARZYNA NIEWIADOMA104CANYON // SRAM RACING03H 23' 02''+ 00H 02' 19''--
7KATHARINE HALL151UNITEDHEALTHCARE PRO CYCLING TEAM03H 23' 05''+ 00H 02' 22''--
8AMANDA SPRATT6MITCHELTON SCOTT03H 23' 05''+ 00H 02' 22''--
9ANE SANTESTEBAN GONZALEZ81ALE CIPOLLINI03H 23' 07''+ 00H 02' 24''--
10ERICA MAGNALDI121BEPINK03H 23' 07''+ 00H 02' 24''

I really feel for Anna Van der Breggen getting pipped on the line, must be the most galling way to finish 2nd : /

Debs

Posted on: 17 July 2018 by naim_nymph

General Classification after Stage 10

1GREG VAN AVERMAET87BMC RACING TEAM40H 34' 28''-B : 15''-
2GERAINT THOMAS8TEAM SKY40H 36' 50''+ 00H 02' 22''B : 3''-
3ALEJANDRO VALVERDE78MOVISTAR TEAM40H 37' 38''+ 00H 03' 10''B : 4''-
4JAKOB FUGLSANG121ASTANA PRO TEAM40H 37' 40''+ 00H 03' 12''--
5BOB JUNGELS105QUICK - STEP FLOORS40H 37' 48''+ 00H 03' 20''--
6CHRIS FROOME1TEAM SKY40H 37' 49''+ 00H 03' 21''--
7ADAM YATES61MITCHELTON - SCOTT40H 37' 49''+ 00H 03' 21''--
8MIKEL LANDA MEANA75MOVISTAR TEAM40H 37' 49''+ 00H 03' 21''--
9VINCENZO NIBALI51BAHRAIN - MERIDA40H 37' 55''+ 00H 03' 27''--
10PRIMOŽ ROGLIC166TEAM LOTTO NL - JUMBO40H 38' 04''+ 00H 03' 36''

I think Greg van Avermaet has rather taken to wearing the yellow jersey : )

Wednesday 18th July - Stage 11

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by joerand

Brilliant ride by Van Avermaet in stage 10, timing his breakaway perfectly. Nevertheless, my gut tells me Sky is in complete control.

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Tabby cat
naim_nymph posted:

Classification results of La Course - Women's road race [by Le Tour de France]

RANKRIDERRIDER NO.TEAMTIMESGAPBP
1ANNEMIEK VAN VLEUTEN1MITCHELTON SCOTT03H 20' 43''---
2ANNA VAN DER BREGGEN16BOELS DOLMANS CYCLINGTEAM03H 20' 44''+ 00H 00' 01''--
3ASHLEIGH MOOLMAN-PASIO71CERVELO - BIGLA PRO CYCLING TEAM03H 22' 05''+ 00H 01' 22''--
4CECILIE UTTRUP LUDWIG75CERVELO - BIGLA PRO CYCLING TEAM03H 22' 41''+ 00H 01' 58''--
5MEGAN GUARNIER13BOELS DOLMANS CYCLINGTEAM03H 23' 02''+ 00H 02' 19''--
6KATARZYNA NIEWIADOMA104CANYON // SRAM RACING03H 23' 02''+ 00H 02' 19''--
7KATHARINE HALL151UNITEDHEALTHCARE PRO CYCLING TEAM03H 23' 05''+ 00H 02' 22''--
8AMANDA SPRATT6MITCHELTON SCOTT03H 23' 05''+ 00H 02' 22''--
9ANE SANTESTEBAN GONZALEZ81ALE CIPOLLINI03H 23' 07''+ 00H 02' 24''--
10ERICA MAGNALDI121BEPINK03H 23' 07''+ 00H 02' 24''

I really feel for Anna Van der Breggen getting pipped on the line, must be the most galling way to finish 2nd : /

Debs

Debs,

It was sad Annemiek Van Vleuten just riding away from Anna Van Breggen to get it .There didn't look like there was anything left in her engine.From what I saw last night on the ITV 4 highlights she was very gracious about what had happened.And it was lovely how chocked up with emotion about the amazing support out on the road for her and how it was one of the best days of her life......ah the magic of sport   

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/16572/production/_102560519_gettyimages-1000569008.jpg

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by naim_nymph
Tabby cat posted:

Debs,

It was sad Annemiek Van Vleuten just riding away from Anna Van Breggen to get it .There didn't look like there was anything left in her engine.From what I saw last night on the ITV 4 highlights she was very gracious about what had happened.And it was lovely how chocked up with emotion about the amazing support out on the road for her and how it was one of the best days of her life......ah the magic of sport   

When watching Julian Alaphilippe win yesterdays stage, the ITV4 commentator said he half expected to see Annemiek van Vleuten suddenly come up behind him and pip him at the post! 

Made me LOL! : D

Looks like Geraint Thomas [and others] have done a Vleuten on Mikel Nieve  

Stage 11 results

3h 29' 36''

+ 00' 20''

+ 00' 20''

+ 00' 22''
+ 00' 22''
+ 00' 27''

And a huge shake-up on the GC

General Classification after stage 11

44h 06' 16''
+ 01' 25''
+ 01' 44''
+ 02' 14''
+ 02' 23''
+ 02' 40''
+ 02' 56''
+ 02' 58''
+ 03' 16''
+ 03' 16''

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by fatcat

General Classement is starting to look interesting.

Steven Kruijswijk up to 6th. Looked a little tired, but historically he comes on strong in the third week of a grand tour.

There are a fare few high profile riders who are dropping down the GC which begs the question; are they simply off form (or been consistently unlucky) ...or have they come to accept they are no match for GC so intend to save their strength for the day they feel like going for a stage victory (?)

<>

Thursday 19th July 

Stage 12

Todays stage has the makings of being an epic event : )

Debs

Posted on: 18 July 2018 by Tabby cat

It's fascinating we are back to the Wiggins - Froome scenario with Sky but of cause Thomas - Froome with the G.C at the moment.I know Braislford is being diplomatic at the moment but Froome will have a problem if Thomas starts to put more time into his g.c standing.If things stay the same Froome should be able to recover in the TT but Froome is the team leader so it will be interesting how things unravel in the next 5 days.

Fabulous stage yesterday.Great to see Thomas get the yellow jersey in the mountains with a stage win.Looking forward to more great cycling today and tomorrow

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by joerand

Agree with all above Tabby, foremost;

Tabby cat posted:

Fabulous stage yesterday.

Great course set by the race planners for Stage 11. A short, sweet, and painful little ditty that made for pure excitement on the run up to the finish. The best in years. I hope the planners will continue with similar stages in future years, maybe alternating between the Alps and Pyrenees.

What does Sky do now between Thomas and Froome? As is, it may be an internal team compromise for supporting the 'best rider'. Maybe the guy that doesn't crash? I wish they were on different teams as it would hearken back to the great rivalry days we saw between Armstrong and Indurain 

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by Tabby cat

I never knew this but Mark Cavendish missed the Time cut on yesterdays stage and now faces elimination.....sad news for Cav fans

http://e2.365dm.com/18/03/16-9/20/skysports-mark-cavendish-team-dimension-data_4258293.jpg?20180317201139

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by naim_nymph

Withdrawals 

( so far up to the start of Stage 12 )

Stage 12 abandonments

Rigoberto Uran (EF Education First-Drapac) – DNS

Stage 11 abandonments

Mark Cavendish (Dimension Data) – Missed time cut
Mark Renshaw (Dimension Data) – Missed time cut
Marcel Kittel (Katusha-Alpecin) – Missed time cut

Stage 10 abandonments

Jens Keukeleire (Lotto-Soudal) – Crash (DNS)
Alexis Vuillermoz (Ag2r La Mondiale) – Crash (DNS)

Stage nine abandonments

Tony Martin (Katusha-Alpecin) – Crash (DNS)
Richie Porte (BMC Racing) – Crash
José Joaquin Rojas (Movistar) – Crash

Stage eight abandonments

None

Stage seven abandonments

None

Stage six abandonments

None

Stage five abandonments

Tiesj Benoot (Lotto-Soudal) – Crash (DNS)
Michael Matthews (Team Sunweb) – Illness (DNS)
Robert Kiserlovski (Katusha-Alpecin) – Crash

Stage four abandonments

Axel Domont (Ag2r La Mondiale) – Crash

Stage three abandonments

None

Stage two abandonments

Tsgabu Grmay (Trek-Segafredo) – Illness
Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana) – Crash

Stage one abandonments

None

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/...#YpgDzZj6FbJELSJm.99

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by fatcat

With the finish on The Alp, I’m expecting Thomas and Dumoulin to loose time to the smaller riders, with maybe Froome in between.

Also, Thomas and Dumoulin burned a lot of energy yesterday while Quintana, Landa and Nibali kept their powder dry.

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by seakayaker

Stage 11 was awesome, the break away and capture of the leaders and then crossing the line first by Geraint Thomas was fantastic.  Then Chris Frome coming clear of the other riders for third was another awesome display of power. It was one 'ell of a race from start to finish. Looking forward to today's stage to see the climbers return to form after Stage 11 grueling race.  It was also fantastic that no-one crashed on the down hill sections of the course. I found it to be one exciting race.

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by naim_nymph

Wow, that was a tuff stage, and another impressive and incredible finish : )

And the ranks continue to thin out:

Stage 12 abandonments
Rigoberto Uran (EF Education First-Drapac) – DNS
André Greipel (Lotto-Soudal) – Missed time cut
Fernando Gaviria (Quick Step Floors) – Missed time cut
Dylan Groenewegen (LottoNL-Jumbo) – Missed time cut
Marcel Sieberg (Lotto-Soudal) – Missed time cut
Pawe? Polja?ski (Bora-Hansgrohe) – Missed time cut
Rick Zabel (Katusha-Alpecin) – Missed time cut
Tony Gallopin (AG2R La Mondiale) – Missed time cut

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Another fine stage and Thomas was really impressive in the final section. Great to see the group whittled down to the final slection and attacking each other. Dumoulin clearly still in good form and maybe still has cards to play in the race but although Nibali did well to come back after his fall it is hard to see how he could really challenge. Quintana is surely gone.

I have no doubt that if Thomas is still in yellow in the third week he'll be sacrificed for Froome's benefit. I am not hearing or seeing anything to suggest otherwise. Can SKY get both on the podium?

Bruce

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by Clive B
Bruce Woodhouse posted:

Can SKY get both on the podium?

Bruce

Let’s hope so!

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by Fabio 1

Ciao Vincenzo.