Football season 2018/19

Posted by: Kevin-W on 15 July 2018

Now the World Cup's over, it's time to turn our attention to the domestic leagues in the UK, Europe, South America and elsewhere...

So here's a thread for all matters pertaining to the 2018/19 season - whether you follow one of the giants like Barca, Real, Juve, Man City or Corinthians; or a non-league side.

All are welcome - and let's hear from followers of smaller clubs, like Harrogate Railway, Sutton United or Tottenham Hotspur.

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by Paper Plane

Well,  a 2-1 win over Newcastle is a decent start in my book.

steve

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by MDS
Paper Plane posted:

steve

It is. But from what I saw on MotD, you enjoyed a bit of luck, Steve.  

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Tabby cat

Well pleased with City's performance at The Emirates yesterday.Brilliant atmosphere in the away end and Marhez looked really good and Mendy played superbly.Stilrling was causing them loads of problems and nice to see him score n the first half.Bernado Silva's goal was the icing on the cake.Loved it when they all came over to the away end and applauded us.Great day out and a robust start to the season.

Liverpool looked good with West Ham.City - Liverpool - City is going to be tasty.

Great to have the Prem back.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by MDS

The thing that really caught my eye with Man City yesterday was their bench which included: Kompany, Jesus, Otamendi, Sane and De Bruyne!  A staggering array of talent.  

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Wugged Woy
MDS posted:
Paper Plane posted:

steve

It is. But from what I saw on MotD, you enjoyed a bit of luck, Steve.  

To paraphrase the great Gary Player, 'the harder Spurs practice, the luckier they get........ '

Great 3 points for Spurs. The jealous Arsenal and West Ham naysayers will bitch, but let's see how the season develops.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Christopher_M

Danny Ings gave this Saint some hope.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Bob the Builder
MDS posted:

The thing that really caught my eye with Man City yesterday was their bench which included: Kompany, Jesus, Otamendi, Sane and De Bruyne!  A staggering array of talent.  

That’s what happens when you have a staggering amount of money. 

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Kevin-W

Rumours have been circulating for months that the Spuds' new stadium is something of a mess - poor electrics, poor finishes etc. They have been rushing to finish by the deadline but it won't be ready. The rumours were true.

It may not be ready until November, if then:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45177215

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Tabby cat
Bob the Builder posted:
MDS posted:

Like 160 Million on the City bench.The money in the game now with Sky and BT's yearly injection is staggering.Amazing now that a 25 Million pound player is the norm and someone really tasty is in the 50 million + bracket.In a way it's all quite sick when you think of all the people with nothing or starving in the world,But it's a capitalist world and I suppose the City bench reflects that.

Tabby cat posted:
Bob the Builder posted:
MDS posted:

Like 160 Million on the City bench.The money in the game now with Sky and BT's yearly injection is staggering.Amazing now that a 25 Million pound player is the norm and someone really tasty is in the 50 million + bracket.In a way it's all quite sick when you think of all the people with nothing or starving in the world,But it's a capitalist world and I suppose the City bench reflects that.

Agreed. And over this and the previous transfer window it looks like this has infected the Championship too, with some clubs there splashing £10m+ on a player.  It's gone a bit crazy.

Kevin-W posted:

Rumours have been circulating for months that the Spuds' new stadium is something of a mess - poor electrics, poor finishes etc. They have been rushing to finish by the deadline but it won't be ready. The rumours were true.

I'd heard a rumour that the seats installed were red 

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Mike Hughes
PaulM160 posted:
Mike Hughes posted:

Quite enjoying myself in the most competitive division. Wrexham AFC now starting our 11th season in non-league and we appear to have done so on the front foot. Rookie manager in Sam Ricketts and he’s made a prompting start. Even better, my prediction that Salford City would do well to finish in the top 7, let alone win it as most mainstream media and bookies believe, is on course.

I wish you luck Mike. Luton were not long ago in the same situation & I remember the Wrexham games over the years where Wrexham were always pushing to go up but then feel away. As you say, it is a tough division with a number of ex-league teams now plying their trade there.

Play off semi first leg at our place gave me my one of my worst evenings in football. From 0-0 to 0-3 in about 20 minutes. Always amused me that all we could hear was “Come on Luon”. Never a t in the word

Kevin-W posted:

S'pose we'll have to slum it at Wembley a bit longer then..........

The main worry for the mighty Spurs is that the PSG eagle seem to be hovering overhead, ready to snatch little Christian.

Levy's decision not to add to the squad this last window may end up biting him on the bum !

MDS posted:
Kevin-W posted:

I'd heard a rumour that the seats installed were red 

They will be. Perfect to put our bottoms on.

Posted on: 13 August 2018 by Bob the Builder

Although we lost 2-0 to Man City it wasn’t the complete capitulation of the last two meetings and there where some positives. I thought the David Luiz lookalike Guendouzi at 18 years old playing an Arsenal and premiere league  debut against Man City looked a very real prospect and quite clever of Emery as he now knows nothing will faze this young Frenchman. 

Torriera when he came on looked busy and also unfazed and also Lichtsteiner played well when he came on so three decent debuts. 

Ifs and buts do not win football matches but Aubameyang, Lacazette and Ozil all could and should have scored. 

So let’s be real a draw would have been nice but we were not expected to win even at home as Aubameyang said yesterday judge us after Chelsea on Saturday. 

Posted on: 14 August 2018 by dave marshall

Three in a row for The Mighty Whites .................. unbelievable! 

Mustn't get too carried away though. 

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Kevin-W

I would personally like to thank the players of Manchester City for so comprehensively destroying Huddersfield that my beloved Irons no longer sit at the foot of the table!

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by Tabby cat

Kev,

Loving the City result with Hudderfield - City running riot.Mendy is looking superb at rightback.

Hope Brighton get something against those odious Rags and that miserable manager.

This is a great Pep team talk at half time......Sit down nobody talk !

http://e1.365dm.com/18/08/16-9/20/skysports-david-silva-manchester-city_4394659.jpg?20180819144814http://e0.365dm.com/18/08/16-9/20/skysports-manchester-city-aguero_4394624.jpg?20180819140531

Ian - have you seen that brilliant film Artist In Residence: The Football Club, all about a painter employed by West Brom last season?  A really terrific, moving picture, whether you're a Baggies fan or not. It's on All4, Channel 4's catchup service.

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by MDS
Tabby cat posted:

Kev,

Loving the City result with Hudderfield - City running riot.Mendy is looking superb at rightback.

Hope Brighton get something against those odious Rags and that miserable manager.

Saw the first episode of All or Nothing a couple of nights ago. Insightful and entertaining. I'll definitely be watching the rest. 

So moaning Maureen's miserable Mancs succumb to Brighton (again). Has [@mention:1566878603896234] been in?

Posted on: 19 August 2018 by MDS
Kevin-W posted:

So moaning Maureen's miserable Mancs succumb to Brighton (again). Has [@mention:1566878603896234] been in?

Well at least Chris won't have had a long journey home.

Kevin-W posted:

Ian - have you seen that brilliant film Artist In Residence: The Football Club, all about a painter employed by West Brom last season?  A really terrific, moving picture, whether you're a Baggies fan or not. It's on All4, Channel 4's catchup service.

Thanks Kev for that - I will try to find it on YouTube if it's there.Do enjoy fly on the wall documentaries with life situations.

MDS posted:
Tabby cat posted:

Kev,

Saw the first episode of All or Nothing a couple of nights ago. Insightful and entertaining. I'll definitely be watching the rest. 

I am jealous Mike,

I would love to watch it but only a basic Freeview package. So won't be able to view it.I expect it will all be on YouTube eventually.Theres always plenty of music to listen to here.......so not to bad.....

Wishing you a good day

Posted on: 20 August 2018 by Chris Dolan

United never win at Brighton - no drama  and I was home by 10.00pm as designated driver