Cover versions better than the original.

Posted by: dave marshall on 02 August 2018

I was listening to Fink do "All Cried Out" last night, thinking that I preferred it to Alison Moyet's outstanding original from the '80's.

Fink - Biscuits For Breakfast.                                                              Alison Moyet - "Alf"

Pondering whether there were other examples in my library, I also concluded that Cyndi Lauper's "True Colours" and  "Time After Time"  had been covered beautifully by Eva Cassidy.

Eva Cassidy - Simply Eva.                                                                    Cyndi Lauper - True Colours - The Best Of.

Obviously, this is all a matter of personal taste, but any suggestions for cover versions which you feel add to, and probably surpass the original? 

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by Dan Steel

Fleetwood Mac or Santana. ????

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by DBS-Al

Erasure's version of Abba's "Take a chance on me"  and Morrissey doing "That's entertainment".

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by Dan Steel

The Boss or Patti. ????

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by Chunky

The Czars version of Tim Buckley's Song to the Siren.

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

Jefff Buckley's version of Hallelujah, Galaxy 500s version of Ceremony 

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by Innocent Bystander
hungryhalibut posted:

Gosh, I didn’t have you down as an Anti Nowhere League fan! I loved that song back in the day. Didn’t it come with the wonderful So What, with a particularly memorable chorus?

I can be full of surprises! Not really a fan, though I really liked that song (and yes, So What on the flip side of the single - and when I ripped my vinyl I decided I could do better than the old single and picked op an album with them on - some other things OK, though not keen on all (and generally only SoL gets an occasional airing).

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by kevin J Carden
PSAN posted:

K.D. Lang's version of Joni Mitchell's A Case of You. Magical!

Is a lovely version, but not convinced it’s better. Debatably,  Joni herself may have upstaged herself with her later version on Both Sides Now

But my favourite for the goose bumps it prompts is Diana Krall on Live in Paris. That is amazingly heartfelt given the story is not actually her own. Certainly sounds like it is and the Recording is demo material. 

Posted on: 05 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Dan Steel

Joni or Diana’s version of Black Crow both superb recordings. ????

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Richard Morris

Jimmy LaFave singing Donovan's Catch The Wind on Cimarron Manifesto.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Richard Dane

I rather like Peter Gabriel's cover of Elbow's Mirrorball.  First time I heard it - on vinyl, of course - it made the hairs of my arms stand on end. Still does..

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Peder
SimonPeterArnold posted:

And who made the original. ?

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by PSAN
kevin J Carden posted:
PSAN posted:

K.D. Lang's version of Joni Mitchell's A Case of You. Magical!

Is a lovely version, but not convinced it’s better. Debatably,  Joni herself may have upstaged herself with her later version on Both Sides Now

But my favourite for the goose bumps it prompts is Diana Krall on Live in Paris. That is amazingly heartfelt given the story is not actually her own. Certainly sounds like it is and the Recording is demo material. 

Yep, Diana Krall's version is not too shabby either! ????

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by jfritzen
Bert Schurink posted:

Hallelujah on this album, for me unbeatable....

On the same album, "Lilac Wine" is also very intense. A beautiful rendition. 

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by nickpeacock
Peder posted:
SimonPeterArnold posted:

And who made the original. ?

/Peder???? 

Leonard Cohen and New Order respectively.

Posted on: 06 August 2018 by Zackwater

Great topic.  Here are my favorites:

(1) The Sound of Silence by Disturbed

(2) House of the Rising Sun by Five Finger Dearh Punch

(3) Billie Jean by Chris Cornell

(4) Zombie by Bad Wolves

(5) Come Together by Gary Clark Jr.

(6) Knocking on Heavens Door by Guns N‘ Roses

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by dave marshall

Tom Jones - Delilah.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Delilah.

Absolutely no contest ........................... what a character Alex was, sadly missed. 

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Xenasys

Why Why Why Delilah !!!

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by dave marshall
Xenasys posted:

Why Why Why Delilah !!!

'Tis a classic. 

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Kevin-W

This Al Green song is fantastic:

But Talking Heads' 1978 version of this song, in all its jittery, nervy glory, is even better (caveat: I loathe the 1984 version of the tune that appeared in the Stop Making Sense movie, which seems to be trying way too hard)

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by TOBYJUG
Zackwater posted:

Great topic.  Here are my favorites:

Billie Jean by Chris Cornell

Billie Jean is a much covered track from the Dub Reggaesters..

This ones my fave.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Zauberberg

I will go for this - Blancmange - The Day Before You Came. Final track on the album Mange Tout.

Original ABBA 1982.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by ChrisR_EPL

Not quite in keeping with the spirit of the thread, but We Will Rock You on the News Of The World album is and always has been a bit meh, but the BBC session version for John Peel's show from October 77 and available on the recent CD On Air has long been one of my go-to tracks. 

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Iconoclast

Although very similar, Help Me by K.D. Lang, as good or better that the original by Joni Mitchell.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by nickpeacock

For a left-field one, try The Sisters of Mercy's version of "Emma" (originally, and I kid you not on this given the goth treatment it received, by Hot Chocolate). As ever with the Sisters, play loud.

The glorious Sisters of Mercy - now, to my great regret a shadow of their former selves in that Andrew Eldritch can no longer sing properly - did some great cover versions: 1969 (The Stooges), Gimme Shelter (The Rolling Stones), Knocking on Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan) and even, and most fabulously when I saw them live, "Confide In Me" (Kylie Minogue).