Beatles' White 50th Anniversary, details emerging

Posted by: Kevin-W on 21 September 2018

Rumour is - out 9th November.

4LP set: 2-LP stereo remix of the album by Giles Martin, akin to his treatment of Pepper last year; plus two futher LPs of Esher demos.

3-CD set: as above.

6-CD deluxe set: as above, plus a further three CDs of jams, outtakes, demos etc. 50 or so tracks in all. But 'Carnival of Light' or the 27-minute 'Helter Skelter' aren't included.

But there will a blu-ray with 24/96 stereo AND mono versions of the album, as well as a new 5.1 mix by Martin fils.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Kiwi cat
Kaizen posted:

Woke up to the deluxe version as a present this morning. Unitiserve won’t rip any of the CDs. Checked other cds and it’s functioning ok. Gutted, don’t know what to do to make it work. Any ideas?

Similar experience here, with my unitiserve, but not so bad. The first CD ripped ok, albeit very noisily, I was actually surprised to see it had made it onto the database. The second would not rip at all, it was swalllowed up by the serve, which only spat it out when turned off then on again. The Esher CD ripped normally.  I comfort myself with the knowledge that the second of the 2 cds is not as good as the first, where all the most famous songs are. I also love the remix, it really enhances the bass and is very clean. 

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Kaizen

Who saved Christmas? Bart did! Thanks mate, ripped to 10 year old iMac and onto SD  card for now. Totally living up to expectations. Wife would like to watch some telly now though! 

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bart

Santa brought me the cd box set as well!  The book is super interesting; have only read a little bit of it so far.

Posted on: 25 December 2018 by Bart
Kaizen posted:

Who saved Christmas? Bart did! Thanks mate, ripped to 10 year old iMac and onto SD  card for now. Totally living up to expectations. Wife would like to watch some telly now though! 

Glad that worked out for you!  Cheers!

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by fathings cat

I recieved the 3 cd version from Santa - ripped no problems on my uniti serve. Only played the Esther’s demos so far and very enjoyable. Now contemplated the vinyl..... £79.99 likely to be leaving my bank account very shortly...

Gary

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Timmo1341

I’ve had the same experience as FATHINGS CAT. Out of 3,500 (approx) cd rips, I’ve had less than 20 (>1%) refused by my UnitiServe. The new White Album is superb, and from being one of my least favourite Beatles’ offerings it has become one I’m finding difficult to leave alone!. The Esher demos in particular are absolutely fascinating. I am hoping that similar treatments are in store for Revolver, Rubber Soul etc.

Posted on: 29 December 2018 by Kevin-W
Bart posted:
Kevin-W posted:

On another note, has anyone heard the 5.1 mix on the blu-ray in the super deluxe set? "Revolution 9" is supposed to sound absolutely incredible.

Is there any point to listening to the 5.1 mix on a 2-channel hi fi?  I've assumed that the answer is "no." 

I dunno - probably not. But that's why I asked the question: I only have a two-channel setup and so have only ever listened to the 2.0 hi-res PCM tracks on this set.

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Having now listened to the deluxe vinyl set all the way through, first listening to the Esher demos, and finally the remastered album itself, I just want to say... wow! I love the white album - so much. I played a copy to destruction from a very early age, to the point where I could recite all the songs off by heart - usually to the birds and myself. So hearing this anniversary set on vinyl has been a total joy. It may seem quite expensive, but this box set gets my strongest recommendation. I’m listening to it all over again as I type this post on my phone - I’m in music heaven and just had to share with you all. 

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by FangfossFlyer
Richard Dane posted:

Having now listened to the deluxe vinyl set all the way through, first listening to the Esher demos, and finally the remastered album itself, I just want to say... wow! I love the white album - so much. I played a copy to destruction from a very early age, to the point where I could recite all the songs off by heart - usually to the birds and myself. So hearing this anniversary set on vinyl has been a total joy. It may seem quite expensive, but this box set gets my strongest recommendation. I’m listening to it all over again as I type this post on my phone - I’m in music heaven and just had to share with you all. 

I agree, an excellent set.

Have you heard the John Lennon Imagine set on vinyl as it is also excellent.

Richard

Posted on: 07 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Richard, no I haven’t heard the latest Imagine set. I have lots of LPs of this.  A few uk originals, a Japanese issue, the MFSL, and the EMI100 reissue. If it improves on these - particularly the last one - then it must be very special. 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by David O'Higgins

I’m just now listening to the 24bit version of Super Deluxe for the first time, and it’s brilliant. (And to my ears, O Bla Di and Piggies are excellent).