Nations on th forum

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 25 September 2018

i was just thinking that it would be interesting to see how many different countries are represented on the forum. As all have a distinct legacy / background in audio. For instance I am originating from the Netherlands, and now living in Germany. The topic of hifi seems to be much more lived in Germany. Would be interested to hear the Nations on the forum and some background on how they experience audio interests in the country....

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by Beachcomber
Innocent Bystander posted:

TV documentaries padded out with frequent pauses to recap, and often several subjects split and intermixed instead of simply presenting each in turn, etc. 

Oh how I hate those things.  They spend about 5 minutes telling us what they are going to tell us.  At each commercial break they recap and tell us what is coming up.  After the break they tell us what they just tell us and what is coming up.  Of course, it does mean they produce much more programme time for no extra effort.  And splitting several subjects up and interleaving them is a  real turn-off (literally).

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by sjbabbey

Scouse although now a woolyback.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by John Willmott

Born in Wales, educated and worked in England until 35 years ago .. moved to Florida .. I just spend the winters there now as the summers are way too hot, we spend the summers in Nova Scotia .. going back to the US at the end of this month .. if there's anything left after the hurricane.

Posted on: 09 October 2018 by ewemon

Scots through and through. At one point sold Naim and Linn (incl set up at customers house) for a living and also supplied Russ Andrews when he was based in Edinburgh with his records.

Still my fondest memories is of lsitening to music with my brother on an old Dansette record player to which I had wired a second speaker. 

Posted on: 12 October 2018 by ekfc63

Born in HK (2yrs), grew up in the UK (NW London 27yrs COYS!).  Have lived in Vancouver since '92.  Still have my (long expired) British passport.  For a smallish city of +/-2m people we can support 6 decent hifi shops so there must be a healthy hifi scene.  The city is booming with a lot of far east investment which must be a contributor to demand for hifi.     We had our first hifi show three years ago, which must be a good sign that high end audio is alive and well.  Bought my first piece of Naim gear (Nait) in the mid '80s.  Now down to three Naim bits (Snaxo 242, Fraim and SL2s).

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by CroBoy

As my nickname saying, from Croatia but living in AU.

And yes, I have Sonos as my home theater set up in the living room......but Uniti Star/Spendor A2/ Rega P6 in my small office/listening room....

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by thebigfredc

Mongolian, about 60 km north of Ulaanbaattar.

Its cold in the  yurt but at least it has advantage of generator power. So no mains pollution for my ND555 - not that I get many opportunities to listen these days in between milking the goat/slaughtering the goats for their cashmere and worrying about North Korea's nuclear threat.

Ray

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by Innocent Bystander
thebigfredc posted:

Mongolian, about 60 km north of Ulaanbaattar.

Its cold in the  yurt but at least it has advantage of generator power. So no mains pollution for my ND555 - not that I get many opportunities to listen these days in between milking the goat/slaughtering the goats for their cashmere and worrying about North Korea's nuclear threat.

Ray

How do you soundproof the yurt? Or are yo so far from the nearest neighbour that there’s no need, but with the advantage of the music making the goats produce more milk? 

But I’m curious as to why you’re so passionate about the UK leaving the EU as Britain’s ‘freedom’ is unlukely to make any difference in Mongolia....

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by thebigfredc

Very observant IB.

Yurts have very good sound absorbance, providing you use two layers of animal skins of course, plus the conical shape has no internal flat surfaces to cause reflections. 

Goats definitely favour early Dylan, could be the folk landscapes he evokes are similar to the valleys and mountains round here.

My sympathy for the British and their relationship with the EU really comes from the parallel of the many years when we were under a similarly oppressive Chinese rule - a very bad time when we were banned from sleeping with our animals.

My real name is Yar btw, I only use Ray to endear myself to the forumites.

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by mpw

Namaskaar  !

Am from Mumbai,  India. 

My memory of music takes me back when I was 6 years...

Ours was all big joint family... Small house.. Struggle to make ends meet. 

My dad used to work in Philips. 

My dads elder brother was an audiophile ...i would call him that now.. 

Dad used to get him B Stock Philips amplifier and turntable and sealed suspension speakers. .

I remember the turntable GA242 very well. 

Remember dancing without a care in the world when the records played. ..

My uncle died in 1980 

I was too small to realize or object.. . All his records were sold. .

So here I am..

Trying to get to even half of the enjoyment I had when Listening to Osibisa and Boney M and Abba..in my late uncles rig..wearing only an underwear.. 

Best regards 

Mpw

Posted on: 13 October 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Born in Gdank, Poland (I remember the shipyards in 1980...)  grew up and educated (really???) in London, now back in Warsaw, Poland.

My first memory of Naim and Linn was an Uxbridge dealer (close to the Uxbridge station - Metropolitan Line) who sold both. Must have been early 1991. I saw the prices and I thought they must have misplaced a 0 at the end. They were just beyond anythign a poor boy from ‘Eastern Europe’ could even imagine owning.
But I said to myself - one day, I will own some of those beautifuly-sounding boxes

I love music, been listenign to it and playing it for most of my life