Labour Party Conference

Posted by: Mr Underhill on 26 September 2018

Well, what an interesting Labour Party conference.

They are calling for a 10% stake in any company with >250 workers to be, ‘given to the workers’. Not necessarily a bad idea ....but, it turns out that what they mean is that 10% of all such companies will be given to HMG, and the UK based workers will be given a £500 bonus, apparently; in other words, a tax – IF you are registered in the UK. According to R4 in the case of Shell there will be an Annual Bonus of £500 for each worker and £1.2 billion for HMG; if Shell doesn’t just move its HQ.

So, a money grab by the politicians & kill London in one stroke, bravo.

Of course we can trust the politicians to spend any money they collect wisely, can’t we?

I suppose I should go and see if I can find an official Labour Statement of their policy and get this from the horses mouth, as it were.

To underscore their support for democracy a Labour MP was warmly applauded by a Shadow Cabinet member when calling for a General Strike to topple the current Government; I wonder what she will call for if the people make the wrong choice?

M

Posted on: 27 September 2018 by Don Atkinson
Rich 1 posted:

I used to be a die hard Tory but am now on the fence. I have a substantial shares portfolio that I manage myself and other accounts that I use a broker to manage. I suppose I'm quite wealthy but had to work hard long hours, reaping the benefits in my retirement now. However, I'll act as devil's advocate. Taking the home energy sector as an example that all UK residents have to use, specifically gas, electricity and water. Why are a number owned by non UK companies, some supported by their government? I know it smacks of communism but as these assets are basic necessities why shouldn't some of the profits and certainly the dividends be put in the countries coffers rather than in shareholders pockets? Of course the utilities would have to be run as individual entities with no interference from government and as an efficient business as if it were private. It's not rocket science. I would be negatively financially affected if this came to pass though. Rich 

ISTR that the Gov of years ago (Thatcher) sold all these Utilities to people like you and me ie the British Public.

Most of us (not me in particular) subsequently sold our shares onto others who in turn sold them etc etc until we are where we are now.

I doubt if it would be different next time around. Or do you propose that the Gov (ie my taxes and your taxes etc) should be used to repurchase these utilities and run them as nationalised industries ?

Posted on: 27 September 2018 by Don Atkinson

BTW, i'm not entirely sure I know who OWNs each utility asset. Quite often it's the Gov, with the Utility company merely  having the right (and the obligation) to operate, maintain and renew it. But in other cases I imagine the utility company actually owns the infrastructure.

Posted on: 27 September 2018 by Jonners
Don Atkinson posted:

BTW, i'm not entirely sure I know who OWNs each utility asset. Quite often it's the Gov, with the Utility company merely  having the right (and the obligation) to operate, maintain and renew it. But in other cases I imagine the utility company actually owns the infrastructure.

Well, it appears to be rather complicated: the energy market is owned by the French government mainly, our railways are owned by the Dutch and German governments and the Royal Mail's part-owned by the German government so they are state-owned, [it’s] just not Great Britain that owns them. The only thing I'm confident in stating is that railway infrastructure (everything apart from stations and trains), is owned and run by Network Rail which is answerable only to the UK Government.

Posted on: 27 September 2018 by Bob the Builder

Like politics in general these type of threads just trundle along with same old insults the same accusations and platitudes from the same people until everyone gets so bored they just disappear without anything good coming from them.

Posted on: 27 September 2018 by thebigfredc

Spoil Sport

Posted on: 28 September 2018 by JamieWednesday

What does?

Posted on: 28 September 2018 by Don Atkinson
Jonners posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Well, it appears to be rather complicated: the energy market is owned by the French government mainly, our railways are owned by the Dutch and German governments and the Royal Mail's part-owned by the German government so they are state-owned, [it’s] just not Great Britain that owns them. The only thing I'm confident in stating is that railway infrastructure (everything apart from stations and trains), is owned and run by Network Rail which is answerable only to the UK Government.

Regarding the railway system.............

The infrastructure (track, bridges, tunnels, signalling etc) is owned by the Government. It is operated, maintained and renewed by Network Rail. Network Rail is a Government organisation as well.

The Train Operating Companies are franchised to provide the train services set by the Government. There are 18 TOCs. Three of them have terminated their franchises early and these are now being run by Network Rail. The other 15 are operated by a range of National and International companies, some of whom are run by Governments other than the UK gov. These franchises typically run for between 7 and 10 years before renewal by tender.

The trainsets, which the TOCs operate, are generally owned these days by the big banks, and are rented out to the TOCs.

As you say, it complicated.

Posted on: 28 September 2018 by thebigfredc
JamieWednesday posted:

What does?

Bob's a spoil sport i.e. being all grown up and not wanting us to argue with one another until we are blue in the face and Richard has to intervene.