Help please.....getting deseperate

Posted by: Davidr on 06 October 2018

Now I am feeling vulnerable as I may be about to reveal stupidity! But ask for tolerane and help.

I have just received my NDS which was working wonderfully last night using UPnP, streaming to my MUSO & MUSOQB. Then I installed the unpdate for the MUSO and I can no longer stream to either of the MUSOs . When I am in the Naim app the multiroom option is there, both MUSOs appear but as soon as I try to connect to one its starts to try and connect and then disappears followed by the other one. 2 minutes later they appear!

What is more baffling is that using iRadio works just fine, streaming to the MUSOs so why does the UPnP

Both MUSOs have the multiroom enabled.

I test the MUSO which had the firmware update last night this morning streaming direct from the NAS and it kept dropping. The MUSO QB worked perfectly.

All suggestions welcome....I cannot understand what has gone wrong.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Davidr

Unfotunately I spoke too soon.....missed an entire album. Maybe the metadata will help

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Huge
Davidr posted:

So I have re-indexed and it seems to be behaving better, the NDS has not failed to find a track ...so far so this is very encouraging. I think that there may have been conflicts with some of the pre-installed apps on the Synology NAS so I have removed them. I am now running Songkong to see if there are metadatra problems.

The Naim app does not seem to find a lot of the artwork, the files are either Applelossless or AIFF. ANy further wisdom

Many thanks for all of your contributions. It is a very helpful forum.

The Naim app doesn't 'find' any of the artwork, it simply displays what the UPnP Media Server tell it to display.

In the case of the Synology Media Server, for the folder / album art, that requires a file called Folder.jpg or Cover.jpg in the album folder, for individual tracks, that requires artwork to be embedded in the file via the metadata.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Huge
Davidr posted:

Unfotunately I spoke too soon.....missed an entire album. Maybe the metadata will help

That sounds quite likely.  It may just be hiding in an unexpected location due to metadata errors.

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
Davidr posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
Davidr posted:

Now I am feeling vulnerable as I may be about to reveal stupidity! But ask for tolerane and help.

I have just received my NDS which was working wonderfully last night using UPnP, streaming to my MUSO & MUSOQB. Then I installed the unpdate for the MUSO and I can no longer stream to either of the MUSOs . When I am in the Naim app the multiroom option is there, both MUSOs appear but as soon as I try to connect to one its starts to try and connect and then disappears followed by the other one. 2 minutes later they appear!

What is more baffling is that using iRadio works just fine, streaming to the MUSOs so why does the UPnP

I test the MUSO which had the firmware update last night this morning streaming direct from the NAS and it kept dropping. The MUSO QB worked perfectly.

Hi, as others have suggested let’s pair it back.

What are you using as a switch...

What is your router

What is your Wifi..

How are they connected?

My hunch there is a protocol issue with your Wifi access point bridge, certainly as you say your home network is fine .. but if you can share we can help give some pointers

Netgear GS105 switch

Asus RT-AC87U Router

Asus as above

Ethernet. Only wifi is to the musos

David,

not sure I follow... you have two Asus devices? One is a router, what is the other.. or do you have two routers... 

Wifi is on the Musos, but I assume also for the Naim app.. iOS? Is Wifi from the Asus router? It looks like from your posts you are having possibly Naim app/Wifi issues..

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
Davidr posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:
Davidr posted:

Hi, as others have suggested let’s pair it back.

What are you using as a switch...

What is your router

What is your Wifi..

How are they connected?

My hunch there is a protocol issue with your Wifi access point bridge, certainly as you say your home network is fine .. but if you can share we can help give some pointers

Netgear GS105 switch

Asus RT-AC87U Router

Asus as above

Ethernet. Only wifi is to the musos

David,

not sure I follow... you have two Asus devices? One is a router, what is the other.. or do you have two routers... 

Wifi is on the Musos, but I assume also for the Naim app.. iOS? Is Wifi from the Asus router? It looks like from your posts you are having possibly Naim app/Wifi issues..

I answered the four questions. The Asus is the router and the wifi

Ok thanks, I have looked at your router manual.. I must admit there are many settings on it that incorrectly set could stop reliable comma  and You would need good logging to check...not really consumer friendly...

So try the following..

So need to check Wifi is in legacy mode.

Need to ensure Wireless Multicast Forwarding is enabled (I think your router defaults this to off!!)

Need to experiment with Multicast rate.. ensure a value other than disabled

Ensure AP Mode is  set to AP only 

I couldn’t see IGMP setting anywhere so no option to temporarily disable..

Ensure Wifi preambles are long...

Lets see how things are once you have confirmed these settings... I must admit I used to have a similar Asus router and I ended up binning it as it was too bug ridden and had multicast issues with it..

So as a backup you might want to try an alternate more basic setup router if you still have issues.

Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Ok thanks, I have looked at your router manual.. I must admit there are many settings on it that incorrectly set could stop reliable comma  and You would need good logging to check...not really consumer friendly...

So try the following..

So need to check Wifi is in legacy mode.

Need to ensure Wireless Multicast Forwarding is enabled (I think your router defaults this to off!!)

Need to experiment with Multicast rate.. ensure a value other than disabled

Ensure AP Mode is  set to AP only 

I couldn’t see IGMP setting anywhere so no option to temporarily disable..

Ensure Wifi preambles are long...

Lets see how things are once you have confirmed these settings... I must admit I used to have a similar Asus router and I ended up binning it as it was too bug ridden and had multicast issues with it..

So as a backup you might want to try an alternate more basic setup router if you still have issues.

Many many thanks,....what router do you recommend?

What ISP do you use? Do they recommend one? Unless there is a good reason not to, I would use that one...

I have also used DrayTek Vigor before .. really straightforward... I currently use a Ubiquiti router, using the Vigor as a PPPoE modem but not quite as straightforward but suits my needs. The Vigor 130 supports ADSL (standard broadband) and VDSL (Superfast broadband), but it doesn’t have a Wifi AP built in so you would need to provide Wifi separately ..

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Davidr posted:
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Many many thanks,....what router do you recommend?

Is there a reason why you’re not using a router supplied, configured and branded by your ISP, as the majority in the UK do? I ask because all those settings (which Simon no doubt understands, but mean nothing to you and I) will be preconfigured by your ISP, and hopefully you can more or less forget about them.

The downside of this is that some such devices are poor when it comes to running your LAN. My solution to this has long been to turn off WiFi on the router, connect my own hardware to it, and connect all my network devices, wired and wireless, to that. Then even if you change your ISP, your own network remains essentially the same, and you just swap the bundled routers over and carry on. 

I live in Sweden.....ane the routers they recommend are crap.....you may recall a recent event with Ericsson and 02?

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by ChrisSU
Davidr posted:

I live in Sweden.....ane the routers they recommend are crap.....you may recall a recent event with Ericsson and 02?

So do they provide these crap routers preconfigured for you to just plug in and use? Are they crap at maintaining an internet connection, or is it the wired/wireless networking that’s the problem? If it’s the latter, my suggestion above might work for you. 

Posted on: 17 December 2018 by Dustysox

Are you using one of those Alexa thingy bobs?