Auditioned Magico A3 at my hi fi dealer

Posted by: Bart on 31 October 2018

I got to listen to the A3's ($9800 +/-) for about an hour yesterday.  Setup at my dealer's very acoustically perfect (meaning, "dead") room was Uniti Nova / 250DR.  The Nova was the only pre-amp they had that could connect to the 250; they don't stock much Naim.  I used their library via Roon, and I brought a usb stick (into front panel of Nova) with my usual test listen tracks.  

My current speakers are Devore Nines.

The presentation by the A3's could not be more different than the Nines.  Perhaps these are about as far apart on the spectrum as one can get? I don't know.  The Nines are very midrange-forward, which (perhaps up until now) has been something I really like about them.  In contrast, the A3's sound much 'flatter' meaning the midrange is not emphasized.   I don't know what adjectives others use for this sort of presentation.  So with female vocals (Norah Jones), the vocals seem to fit much better INTO the mix with the A3's vs. being way out in front with my Devores.  With the Devores, maybe the vocals are a bit 'larger than life.'

Soundstage and imaging with the A3's was spectacular.  Now much of this is due to the room, but the soundstage in that context extended much further back (away from the listener) and a bit wider vs. the Nines.

Bass on the A3's was "interesting."  This flatter response aspect extended to the mid-bass.  At the very very bottom, the A3's could 'punch' me in a way the Devores can't.  But between there and the mid-bass, there was simply but enjoyably very controlled bass. Not boom; none.  Bass is definitely a bit fatter on the Nines.

Treble from the beryllium tweeter on the A3's was fabulous, but no more so than from the silk tweeters of the Nines to my almost 60-yr old ears.  Although on one track I'm sure I heard the drumstick hitting the high hat much more accurately than I'd heard it before.

At 50-60 on the Nova's digital volume control, the A3's were PLENTY loud.  So I do believe that the 250DR can drive them effectively.  While more current might help in transients, I'm thinking that they are served OK by a 250DR.

My initial reaction was that the A3's were not quite as emotionally engaging to me. I'm sure that's because of their 'flatter' presentation.  (I think that's a common 'dig' at "accurate" speakers, right?  Not so emotionally engaging?) On the other hand, I've come to realize that in my rather boomy room at home, I do get fatigued by the midrange from my Nines at volume.  So if there's a trade-off, it remains to be seen which presentation I'll be happier with.  And I'm going to get them to let me listen to the A3's at home for a few days in the not too distant future.  (Or maybe the Kudos 606's and 707's are somewhat in the middle??)

As for looks and finish, the black rectangular anodized aluminum boxes of the A3's suit me fine. Black anodized aluminum...sounds familiar right?  They'll look good with my black Fraim.

All input welcomed!

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Bart

Our room is basically 13 feet x 20 feet, and we sit the short way.  So with the speakers a little over a foot from the front wall, and the couch against the rear wall, we sit about 9 feet from the speakers.  The speakers are about 6 feet from the side walls

I realize Im not sitting in an equilateral triangle.  The speakers are closer together than that; I should try pushing them more apart -- closer to the side walls.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by aht

Okay, thanks.  So it sounds like the A3 doesn't need a huge room to work well.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Bart
aht posted:

Okay, thanks.  So it sounds like the A3 doesn't need a huge room to work well.

Agreed -- I have read in part that these are Magico's entry into the 'speakers for a smallish flat' market.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Hi Bart.

Have you tried various positions of your speakers in your room even firing down the long side? I would be very interested in your findings, as I have exactly the same size room as yours and have had considerable difficulties getting my speakers to work due to a 100 Hz mode. Getting there though. ATB Peter

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Bart
911gt3r posted:

Hi Bart.

Have you tried various positions of your speakers in your room even firing down the long side? I would be very interested in your findings, as I have exactly the same size room as yours and have had considerable difficulties getting my speakers to work due to a 100 Hz mode. Getting there though. ATB Peter

Just saw your question Peter . . . rotating the room's contents 90 degrees is a no-go from my wife's decorating perspective.  I need to get out the microphone and REW software and figure out what's going on with my room.  I'm pretty confident that the only significant issue is reflectivity due to lack of absorptive materials.  There is a fair bit of furniture and ceramics art, but just not much soft material at all.  Furniture is mid-century modern Danish furniture, so wooden frames and only small upholstered cushions for the most part.  Hard floors too with no rug.

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by 911gt3r

Thanks Bart. Have you had a chance to listen to the 606s yet? ATB Peter

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Cemil

Has anyone tried to drive the Magico A3 with the Uniti Nova? Some shops are saying they are an excellent match, but others are saying that the A3s need a lot of power to perform (like most Magicos)

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by Bart
Cemil posted:

Has anyone tried to drive the Magico A3 with the Uniti Nova? Some shops are saying they are an excellent match, but others are saying that the A3s need a lot of power to perform (like most Magicos)

I was driving them with a 250DR, which "on paper" is 80 WPC, as is the Nova.

Based on results with the 250, I would say that they do not need as much current as MANY Magicos.  BUT, the better question is, "What will be the results."

I wrote to Magico and asked what they thought about the A3/250DR pairing, and their response was essentially that the 250 should be OK but the 300 would be better, based on the current specs, not the WPC specs.

In my view, opinion not based on an actual listen, the Nova would be at the 'bare minimum' end for A3's.  I think they'll sound rather pleasant, but the A3's would benefit from more power, and conversely the Nova would shine more with somewhat easier-to-drive speakers.

I now have A3's on order (!)  but also have committed to picking up a used 300DR.  The backlog on A3 production is about 4 months at this point.

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by 911gt3r

Hi Bart.

Whoop whoop exciting times ahead ?? ATB Peter

911gt3r posted:

Hi Bart.

Whoop whoop exciting times ahead ?? ATB Peter

Indeed; I just have to WAIT 

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by 911gt3r

Hi Bart.

Let me ease your pain; my drive in the 555CDP has packed up and my 500 has developed an intermittent fault so lost my music for a month now ( 3 boxes waiting for my slot at HQ) and there is more, but as I am receiving great service from xxx I shall stay stum. Well, nothing wrong with Sonos, as I had my big feet tapping to “ Johnny be good” earlier. Hey ho..........???? ATB Peter

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by aht

Bart, did you do the planned Kudos audition before deciding on Magico? 

911gt3r posted:

Hi Bart.

Let me ease your pain; my drive in the 555CDP has packed up and my 500 has developed an intermittent fault so lost my music for a month now ( 3 boxes waiting for my slot at HQ) and there is more, but as I am receiving great service from xxx I shall stay stum. Well, nothing wrong with Sonos, as I had my big feet tapping to “ Johnny be good” earlier. Hey ho..........???? ATB Peter

That's the spirit!  I should not be without the ND 555 long, as I won't ship it off 'til my dealer has the replacement in hand.

I need a few more Fraim levels to accommodate the 300, and the RP8 I'm getting, but the black ones are backordered State-side it appears.  Oh well these are "1st world problems" for sure.  

aht posted:

Bart, did you do the planned Kudos audition before deciding on Magico? 

I did! I lived with the Kudos 606's for about a week.  They did some things REMARKABLY well; they are very very revealing.  My wife and I were listening to side 2 (of 4) of The Wall (with Young Lust / One of My Turns / Don't Leave Me Now) and were truly flabbergasted at the imaging and revelation.

Overall the imaging was fantastic; they truly disappeared into the soundstage, and the stage was really well defined.  Vocals were lovely; at least as lovely as with my Devore Nines.

But overall they did not get along with my room.  The treble was too often too shouty in my far-too-alive room (even with a little toe-out), and there was a chunk of mid-to-low bass that I could not find despite all sorts of positioning attempts.  No reviews I've read make these criticisms; it's just the fit with the room that wasn't there I'm sure.  

And I'll say that aesthetically they are beautiful.  I'd loved to have loved them, but it was not meant to be.  Very grateful to my wonderful dealer for letting me try them at home!!

We had lived with the A3's for about the same period of time.  Once we'd solved the boomy bass issue with positioning, we recalled ONLY being in love with them, not matter what we listened to.  The A3's are a little less revealing however.  So that experience tipped the scales (despite the A3's tipping the scales themselves at 110 lbs each!)

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by aht

Thanks, very interesting!

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

@bart - could you send me a link to the microphone you purchased for the REW tests?

MangoMonkey posted:

@bart - could you send me a link to the microphone you purchased for the REW tests?

Texted you

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Cemil
Bart posted:
Cemil posted:

Based on results with the 250, I would say that they do not need as much current as MANY Magicos.  BUT, the better question is, "What will be the results."

I wrote to Magico and asked what they thought about the A3/250DR pairing, and their response was essentially that the 250 should be OK but the 300 would be better, based on the current specs, not the WPC specs.

In my view, opinion not based on an actual listen, the Nova would be at the 'bare minimum' end for A3's.  I think they'll sound rather pleasant, but the A3's would benefit from more power, and conversely the Nova would shine more with somewhat easier-to-drive speakers.

I now have A3's on order (!)  but also have committed to picking up a used 300DR.  The backlog on A3 production is about 4 months at this point.

Thank you for your reply. However, I'm trying to keep the number of boxes and the cost to a minimum. I know that's a bit of an oxymoron having chosen the A3s, but the system is for a second location where I have to do some serious accommodation to my wife's wishes She puts up with the Q5s and muscle mono blocks in the living room in our main house, so it's fair.

Perhaps I should then go the Devialet route (lots of power in a small package) or the Hegel one (which, so far, cannot act as a Roon endpoint - annoying for me). I've heard the A3s with an older Devialet, and that was pretty decent. I'll try scrounge a Nova and see what that gives.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Bart
Cemil posted:
Bart posted:
Cemil posted:

Thank you for your reply. However, I'm trying to keep the number of boxes and the cost to a minimum. I know that's a bit of an oxymoron having chosen the A3s, but the system is for a second location where I have to do some serious accommodation to my wife's wishes She puts up with the Q5s and muscle mono blocks in the living room in our main house, so it's fair.

Perhaps I should then go the Devialet route (lots of power in a small package) or the Hegel one (which, so far, cannot act as a Roon endpoint - annoying for me). I've heard the A3s with an older Devialet, and that was pretty decent. I'll try scrounge a Nova and see what that gives.

I've not heard the new Devialet, but I didn't really like the sound of the older ones; one of those 'it's amazing at first, but drew tiresome' sounds for me.  Elon Wolf apparently loves Hegel, and their all-in-ones look amazing; I've never heard one. You should ask them if Roon support is in the works. In the meantime, you could just throw an Allo DigiOne between the unit and your ethernet cable to add Roon support; that's what I do with my UnitiQute2 which is my 'second system' (with much more modest speakers). Or see the thread here about Sonore UPnP Bridge to add Roon support.

Posted on: 12 January 2019 by Bart
Cemil posted:

It's all relative, and my wife also "puts up with" more hi fi gear than she'd prefer, but she knows I like it and she does love to listen. Q5's and mono blocks ARE imposing.

Do you own the A3's already? If so, a dealer surely should let you bring home a Nova to have a listen.  Easy and zero risk.