Rega Aura versus Naim Superline

Posted by: Filipe on 09 November 2018

I’ve just got a demo Rega Aura, and it does exactly what Rega claim. It just hits you immediately with the excitement it delivers. It’s not even had much time to warm up. 

Has anyone else listened to it and compared it to the Superline powered off the preamp (252 in my case). The downside of the Superline for me will be that I have Superlumina RCA to DIN which would be redundant.

I’m back from walking 729km from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela (Camino Frances) between 29 September and 25 October. Not bad for a septuagenarian. An amazing experience.  My blog is on Facebook from  RoboCap dot .org dot uk. I discovered I have a talent for creativite writing.  Lots of beautiful photos. 

Phil

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Filipe

The arm is indeed an evolution of the RB808 (now RB880). I’m sure there are always engineering improvements. You now only get the skeleton plinth and a dust cover. So that would be a backward step as in my lounge the outer plinth and hinged lid helps protect a very expensive cartridge in many ways including growing grandchildren and acoustically. Who would buy a RP8 now!

Anyhow not interested in an upgrade to my RP10 should there be one, when it is possible to get more elsewhere.

Phil

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by Matteo

Nobody knows how the new P10 will be.

If the "source first" theory is still valid, it should be better to improve the turntable before the phono stage ...

Btw I have an LP12

M.

Matteo posted:

Nobody knows how the new P10 will be.

If the "source first" theory is still valid, it should be better to improve the turntable before the phono stage ...

Btw I have an LP12

M.

I would say that the phono stage is very much part of the source. Some include the preamp.

Phil

Current the Superline and HiCap are keeping each other warm waiting for the 4 to 5 pin DiN IC to arrive from Naim. Hopefully they will both be ready to work early next week.

Phil

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Filipe

[@mention:1566878603942595], I have followed your advice above to give the preamp air. I now have the nDAC on the top shelf where the TT was rather than above the preamp, and wow does that open up the digital sound stage. The mistake of my thinking that it made no difference (because I could turn the nDAC and CDX2 off and hear hear no difference) was that that did not tell me whether it made no difference to the digital sound! 

The TT went on top of the CDX2 which can be turned off. Some people think glass and metal do not make good bases for a turntable. I would welcome comment from anyone.

I certainly thought that the extra glass isolation shelf was detrimental. I also wondered whether the cartridge being about 700mm from the front of the speaker but just behind the front line could be a problem. However, [@mention:1566878603909035] posted a picture of his remarking that there was no feedback.

I had my TT inside the RP10 outer plinth and cover. When I took it off the rear leg of the skeletal plinth dropped off! Yesterday the dealer’s advice was that a suitable glue would be ok. It maybe that this explains a slight distortion on Michael Jackson’s voice playing thriller. I presume the Rega legs are designed to make it difficult for vibration to travel towards the platter and tone arm.

At the moment I would say that the SQ has improved noticeably since I first demoed the Aura which really grabbed me anyhow. Not quite as good a stereo soundstage as the Aura but well defined and with more warmth than before. The Aura was very open, meaning that backing instruments and vocals were easy to hear and locate, and the presentation was balanced. I feel the digital is not quite as good in those respects. Foxtrot sounded the closest last night.

Waiting for the 4 to 5 pin DIN IC to arrive so I can demo the Superline with a HiCap. Both are staying warm at the moment.

Phil

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Phil, thanks for the update.  

Which leg are you referring to - the actual leg (inner) or the outer leg for the outer plinth?

Richard Dane posted:

Phil, thanks for the update.  

Which leg are you referring to - the actual leg (inner) or the outer leg for the outer plinth?

Richard, Inner (actual) legs. 

My plinth  legs can be unscrewed and this as such allows height adjustment. Rega now give more guidance on the inner legs than they did two years ago - the legs should be screwed tight.

So if used for height adjustment use washers. This avoids the possibility of incoherent vibrations passing to the platter and tone arm. 

Phil

Ok, thanks Phil. 

As a rule I always try to ensure all is perfectly level at the stand - this should minimise any need for additional levelling of the kit. All the feet of my RP10 are firmly screwed into the chassis. 

Having said that, I have an extra set of solid metal feet awaiting audition...

One of the problems I have is that we have a carpet which I’m not allowed to make holes in! The sheer mass of the racks and boxes means that there is settling and I have always needed some final tweaking for the turntable. 

I don’t have Fraim so I don’t know whether it has the ability to tweak each level. I have to put the boxes in as I build and it settles later!

It will be interesting to hear back from @Richard Dane on the all metal legs for Rega TTs and the Superline Air Plugs. 

One further thing I am doing is to swap the Powerline Lite on the 300DR power supply for the Isotek EV03 Optimum. The indications are that the soundstage has improved a lot. I would be keen to hear from anyone who has experience of the impact of mains lead on the power amp. Obviously full Powerline would be better than the Lite version.

Phil

The trick with Fraim is to perfectly level up the top with the spikes on the base - all else should then be well.

Richard Dane posted:

The trick with Fraim is to perfectly level up the top with the spikes on the base - all else should then be well.

Does that mean that you have to have good access all round both stacks? Richard, how much is sensible?

Mine is in a corner and the racks have circular spikes, which doesn’t make this easy. Does the Fraim?

Phil

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Mr Frog

I borrowed a set of the 3 metal replacement feet for my RP10, but honestly I couldn't tell the difference - so went back to using the factory fitted ones.

The turntable sits on a glass shelf and I have the Apheta 2 cartridge fitted - also use Rega Aria into ATC SCA2 preamp driving active ATC SCM40A's

You might hear a difference with the metal feet ..... and I may simply have cloth ears ????

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Filipe

I’ve got to a good starting place for trying the Superline powered by HiCap DR as swapping the power cords on the Aria and 300DR power supply has really improved the soundstage of analogue and digital. Playing 

Michael Jackson - Thriller - vinyl

it sounds almost as good as the Aura without the setup improvements I have talked about in this thread. What the Aria doesn’t do is create the same clarity for all the instruments and voices. Hopefully it will be better than first time, but Superline tomorrow if the postman delivers the 4 to 5 pin DIN IC.

Phil

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Richard Dane
Filipe posted:
Richard Dane posted:

Does that mean that you have to have good access all round both stacks? Richard, how much is sensible?

Mine is in a corner and the racks have circular spikes, which doesn’t make this easy. Does the Fraim?

Phil

Phil, the design of the Fraim makes access reasonably possible. The spikes are cross-drilled so can be turned with the supplied Tommy bar.

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Filipe

Well I have been playing vinyl since Saturday with the Superline with new SNAIC, HiCap DR and 4-5 DIN IC. [@mention:1566878603909035] pointed out that mains plug ordering matters and he prefers source at the top. My CDX2 was at the bottom and so I switched and much prefer the result. In fact I’m just loving the digital.

I think the Superline could be really nice, but I have to return it shortly when I’m over the nasty cold/cough that’s going around (I was going to visit Nigel (HH) last Thursday but had to postpone that till next year - I’m sure he would have given me more tips). There is some music that sounds really good, but I think this is when an underlying hardness from new cables and power supply is masked (violins for instance). Rather disappointing that one can’t demo kit for long enough to fully assess its merits. I’m grateful that Naim loaned it but .....

I’ve got the Rega Aura now which amazed me when I had it first time. Unless anyone suggests the Superline will sound amazing shortly I will give up. I will report on the Aura again soon.

It’s been a good experience for improving my setup. I’m grateful for member’s suggestions.

Phil

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Adam Zielinski

So the winner is....?

Still warming up (10 minutes) after 5 days out of our Rega rep’s home system, but I have to say the Mozart Requiem is sounding sublime. I missed the way the soprano voices rise up above everything and the brass sounds so vivid. It brings excitement to music, and has synergy with the RP10/Aphelion. I know the Aura will get even better over the next few days and weeks.

I need a vinyl source that can match the digital. So my winner is the Aura. I’m not knocking the Superline and I’m sure it could go further in time as everything burns in, but I’ve been there with my Naim kit and want to break the upgrade addiction. The Aria is not dead either as I will return it to the system when the demo Aura goes back. I then need to think whether to try the 552!

Phil

Moved on to play Michael Jackson’s Triller, and wow it thrills and excites. This was one LP that sounded really odd with the Superline because his voice is extraordinary particularly the highs. The Superline just wasn’t coping with this, and wasn’t doing much with the backing instruments and vocals to the extent that I was not listening to the music but wondering what was wrong. There was so much not brought out by the Superline. There is some incredibly deep bass guitar and drums backing that was just missing along with sound effects and other stuff just not forward enough in the overall presentation.

Phil

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Christopher_M

Very glad it has worked out with the Aura, Phil. That's me writing as someone who feels he has recently cracked his own cartridge /phonostage synergy problem.

Though I have not heard the Aura, I did hear an Apheta into the IOS Reference so I cannot say I am surprised at your choice.

But the specific matching is crucial imo to getting the best from vinyl playback, and easily overlooked. Good for you.

[@mention:1566878603952052], Thank you for the encouragement. I will go back to the Aria early in the new year while I decide, but there may be withdrawal symptoms, and it may be an either or with a 552.

Phil

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Drewy

So you mean the option is 552 and keep the Aria? I have exactly this combo and have been watching this thread with interest. Not heard the Aura but know the 252, the 552 option might well be your best bet but at a much higher cost. Very interesting..

Drewy posted:

So you mean the option is 552 and keep the Aria? I have exactly this combo and have been watching this thread with interest. Not heard the Aura but know the 252, the 552 option might well be your best bet but at a much higher cost. Very interesting..

[@mention:45633858936632844], Yes, it is an option. How do you find the Aria works with the 552? 

Phil

Posted on: 18 December 2018 by Drewy

Absolutely fine. Very much enjoy vinyl more than playback via NDS. No itches to change anything (but there might be soon if you keep this up)

[@mention:45633858936632844] I guessing you paired the Aria with the 252. What kind of uplift did you get when you moved up?

Phil

Posted on: 19 December 2018 by Drewy

Exactly the same level of improvement as I got with the NDS, it was substantial. But then I personally don’t like the 252. When you think of the cost involved it should be a big improvement.