New car

Posted by: Fabio 1 on 11 December 2018

Hi all,I've just ordered this last week,it is an Opel Mokka X 4x4 1.6 cdti 136 hp in pearly white with black rims.Very,very good sensation after the driving test.I have purchased my new NAC 282 and my new Sony ILCE /RM3 this year,so Audi can wait...Any thoughts?image.gen

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Sloop John B

Is there an echo in here?

.sjb

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/touareg_02_james_attwood.jpg?itok=2evjhOtN

Toe rag looks like  toe rag,

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by JamieWednesday

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

If I follow the discussion a bit I am an crazy murder. I have a SUV and a powerful diesel, and even out of free choice......., people are sometimes so easy with their general opinions on this forum....., it’s good that we mostly discuss about music.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by naim_nymph
Mulberry posted:
hungryhalibut posted:.    

[…] These silly little puffed up hatchbacks are just ridiculous. What’s wrong with a normal car?

As much as I am puzzled by the number of SUV and SUV-like cars, I keep asking myself if I don’t like them because I can’t see a reason to have such a thing in the city or simply because they are different.

I get the impression the new breed 'SUV look' on smaller cars is caused by the higher ride-height which may look pretentious but maybe this is the car manufacturers way of dealing with pot-holed roads (?) ...Although longer suspension travel has the potential to absorb more rough, in theory also has the ability to provide better comfort, and which may or may not lead to vagueness of driving feel, or the feeling like one is smoothly floating along above the road. which maybe nice, but can distance the driver away from feeling road going conditions. Would also depend upon the quality and design of the suspension components too.

However; not talking from experience here so i may be wrong but they don't look like a 'drivers car' to me but on the other hand they do look dependable and practical for many typical bumpy / neglected road conditions. Plus, like with the Diesel/Petrol argument it also depends upon where one lives and type of road environment if such a car design is appropriate to own.

Debs

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by DBS-Al

Enjoy your new car Fabio.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Don Atkinson

Fabio, enjoy your new car. Not my choice, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We have two SUVs. A BMW X3/X5 (Mrs D shares/swaps these with our nearby daughter as the needs arise) and a Honda CRV which we use in Canada. We need 4 wheel drive to improve our probability of making important journeys both in the UK and Canada.

The BMWs are diesels but the CRV is petrol. All bought on the basis of what was available second hand. Whatever we bought was going to bugger up the environment and kill thousands of people anyway, so we didn't calculate whether it was going to f**k the lives of 967 people or 983.

We also have a C220 cdi saloon. Does 70mpg easily, but again diesel, so that no doubt puts the nails in another 438 coffins !! But this car is c.18 years old and replacing it with a brand new BMW i3 isn't on the cards, even on overall environmental grounds, so far as I can tell, never mind the economic side of the equation.

Sometimes, I think we just go-with-the-flow and give the global environmental impact analysis a rest !!

Enjoy the Mokka.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Clay Bingham
TOBYJUG posted:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/autocar.co.uk/files/styles/gallery_slide/public/images/car-reviews/first-drives/legacy/touareg_02_james_attwood.jpg?itok=2evjhOtN

Toe rag looks like  toe rag,

Other than grill area, that looks suspiciously like the Audi Q3 sold here in the US.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Congrats to the OP for a car that clearly suits his needs (and leaves that sensation after driving...!)

I too had a new car this year (well, technically my wife’s, but we share our cars): Audi TT Quattro coupé 2+2 1.8T 230. Great driving for only £2.5k, and on past Audi experience a good few fun years’ driving to come. Perfectly complements my daily commute vehicle - Koba Dewdrop (pushbike!).

We also have a diesel, in the form of a 7-seater that has amazing versatility, an estate car, family holiday is transport, single-car visitor transport, and a relatively high driving position that is great on the road but lower than many a 4x4. 10 years old now, we,be had it for 9, bought as a high mileage young car. Great fuel economy, and hence CO2 emissions, though inevitably with different pollutant output. The second diesel we’ve had, but provided it lasts another, day, 3-5 years it’ll probably be the last as lifestyle changes after retirement may dictate different needs, and as we usually keep our cars a long time, diesel may no longer be ideal.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by winkyincanada
Derek Wright posted:

The anti SUVs people should also take into account their legacy pollution and CO2 emissions, when I have gone and the exhaust from the crematorium has cleared ther will be no further pollution from me and my tribe. My legacy pollution is zero. Until then I shall enjoy driving my 2.4 litre twin turbo diesel, perhaps one day I  shall get a new one that uses AdBlue that reduces the particulate emissions to a very low value and also consumes pig's urine.

So before you castigate the SUV driver compare your legacy CO2 and particulate emissions with mine.   

My legacy is similarly zero.

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by SamClaus

Just bought a new washing machine. Very pleased with it, in case anyone's interested...

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Tony2011
SamClaus posted:

Just bought a new washing machine. Very pleased with it, in case anyone's interested...

I am. Does it spin at 33, 45 and 78 rpm?

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by 911gt3r

We just bought a Trabant so no more worries about penis envy, but even better it goes like stink????! ATB Peter

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Bob the Builder

The Democratic Republic of Congo supplies most of the Cobalt used in the Lithium batteries that run electric cares where children as young as ten are used to dig out this 'new gold' so before you get so high and mighty about driving electric cars maybe you should think about that                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by naim_nymph
SamClaus posted:

Me too!

Miele washer and a dryer with pull out drawer stacker kit in-between.

It's already impressed a few friends and family, unlike my naim audio kit that remains totally ignored.

I think this is in the wrong thread 

Debs

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by Rich 1

God, this is as bad as the Brexit debate and about as loaded with as many questionable so called truths

Posted on: 12 December 2018 by JamieWednesday
Rich 1 posted:

God, this is as bad as the Brexit debate and about as loaded with as many questionable so called truths

Hardly! Our Miele washing machine has been going for at least ten years now. The Bosch dishwasher for twenty.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by ynwa250505

I have a BMW X5 Xdrive 3.0D M Sport in the UK. It is black on the outside and cream leather inside. It goes very fast when I want it to. I like my X5. The windscreen tells you how fast you are going.

In Canada, I have a Ford F-150 Lariat. It has an aluminium body and runs on petrol. The outside is red and the inside is a beige (sort of) coloured leather. I like my F150 too. I sometimes wonder how many spaces in a Tesco car park it would need.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Rich 1

Am glad about the Miele and Bosch it's great not to have to keep forking out on new household appliances, you can put your money towards some upgrades It's just a shame that this thread was high jacked. 

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by JamieWednesday
Rich 1 posted:

Am glad about the Miele and Bosch it's great not to have to keep forking out on new household appliances, you can put your money towards some upgrades It's just a shame that this thread was high jacked. 

Thank you for your kind words. Would you like to hear about the Swiss Army knife still in regular use 35 years after it was given to me?

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Mike-B
JamieWednesday posted:

......... Our Miele washing machine has been going for at least ten years now. The Bosch dishwasher for twenty.

'We' have a similar appliance record,  10 year old Bosch dishwasher & Liebherr fridge freezer & 14 year old Miele washing machine.   Its rather concerning that I (we) tend to choose this type of item on www reviews & customer reputation, concerning because all these long lived items are all German designs (not sure where they're made)  & why British brands that are still left don't make it into these ratings.   I wish I could say the same about irons,  are you listening Bosch ??!!!!   but maybe chalky water doesn't help to be fare.  

Getting back to the thread subject,  BMW diesels & Honda petrol were also chosen because of reputation.  

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Ravenswood10
hungryhalibut posted:

That rather sums up the attitude of the sort of people who drives these things. It must be great to have the self confidence to not mind everyone else thinking one is a complete dick.

I have a Discovery 4 running on DEF. I don’t as a general rule talk male anatomy but  live in a rural area where several times  over the years done hospital runs in snow drifts for elderly neighbours and on one occasion an insulin run for an 80 year old man with lymphoma. We’re not all the same you know I’ve also pulled several cars and one ambulance out of mud ruts. Please try not to generalise.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Mike-B posted:
JamieWednesday posted:

......... Our Miele washing machine has been going for at least ten years now. The Bosch dishwasher for twenty.

'We' have a similar appliance record,  10 year old Bosch dishwasher & Liebherr fridge freezer & 14 year old Miele washing machine.   Its rather concerning that I (we) tend to choose this type of item on www reviews & customer reputation, concerning because all these long lived items are all German designs (not sure where they're made)  & why British brands that are still left don't make it into these ratings.   I wish I could say the same about irons,  are you listening Bosch ??!!!!   but maybe chalky water doesn't help to be fare.  

Getting back to the thread subject,  BMW diesels & Honda petrol were also chosen because of reputation.  

Yeo, Bosch washing machine still performing well after at least 14 years, probably used 3 times a week on average , selected on strength of Which? report and not British. (As a generalisation have tended to eschew British machinery on the basis of quality and reliability (lack of) - contrasting with hifi where British products have tended to be at the top of my list.)

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by tonym
ynwa250505 posted:

I have a BMW X5 Xdrive 3.0D M Sport in the UK. It is black on the outside and cream leather inside. It goes very fast when I want it to. I like my X5. The windscreen tells you how fast you are going.

Snap! We also own a black X5 Xdrive 3.0D M Sport with cream leather upholstery. A splendid vehicle, very comfy and reassuring on our frequent drives, summer and winter, to the Lake District, loaded up with dogs, and lots of other stuff. I've just fitted a set of winter tyres to Bernard (that is what he's called, according to SWMBO), in the light of our rather fraught expeditions in last winter's bad weather.

Posted on: 13 December 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’m sure my dislike of these vehicles is irrational, but they are just huge, unnecessarily so. If somebody wants the luggage or dog space, something like a 5 series estate seems ideal. It’s a nice looking car, but doesn’t take up half the road. There are a couple of examples on here, sensibly explained, of needing to go to snowy places or rough country tracks. But I bet hardly any of the owners do that. There’s a little unassuming guy round the corner with a Cayenne, which he drives at ridiculous speeds in 30mph roads. He won’t put his dog in the car as it would make it dirty, so has another vast 4x4 that he uses at the weekend. All week long, it sits on the road so we struggle to see round the corner. Another neighbour has a Jaguar F pace or something. It’s bloody enormous. The most challenging thing it does is go to collect his son from football. It has never seen a speck of mud in its life. It needs huge parking spaces. A nice 320 or A4 would suit him much better but no, it must be a puffed up Chelsea tractor. And it’s a bloody diesel. Why, why, why?