System Pics 2019

Posted by: hungryhalibut on 20 December 2018

Welcome to System Pics 2019.

To start things off, here is a picture of my setup. The only thing that has changed since last year is the addition of a maple Fraim to match the speakers. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Richard Dane

Very nice, Roog.  What vintage is the Heybrook?

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by ROOG
Richard Dane posted:

Very nice, Roog.  What vintage is the Heybrook?

Thank you Richard, through it all I have clung onto my TT2. I bought it from Paul Green HIFi in Bath in 1982. It has the earlier welded steel box section frame in side.

Chris G posted:

Hi Roog, nice looking system. I see you're using ATC speakers.  I had a recent dealer dem of these and found them very revealing but they sounded somewhat bright.  Obviously you must be happy with them, would you describe their sound as "bright"?  I guess the next step will be to audition at home but I'd appreciate feedback on your experience with them please?

Chris, I should add that as with many things to do with HiFi it could just be my hearing! :0)

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by ameden

Hi Chris, I am with AMEDEN on this, I did try a home trial and several dealer auditions of the ATCs all in different rooms and I found the treble slightly rolled off compared to others including PMC twenty five 24,  Klipsch Forte's & B&W 702-2 if any thing I find them a little bass heavy in my room. From running REW, I have a strong feeling that it is my room which combined with the extra bass energy that excites the room at high volumes. I found their alluring characteristics to be the Lovely detail in the mids.

i have seen many references to the active version being worth a try,i just struggled to commit to my amp being built into my speakers.

I demoed the active 40's at home....very good, bass was less/tighter..however preferred my 552/300 sound (just).

The passives were also a touch bass heavy for me...switching from Naca5 resolved this...I  now use Witch hat Phantom..

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Bob the Builder
AndyP19 posted:
hungryhalibut posted:
M@rtin posted:

How can one add pics to logs?

Have a look in the FAQ.

Sorry to labour this, but I think I am one of many who struggle to post a pic (even following advice on FAQ) - I've just worked out how to do it from a website image, say an album cover, but sometimes that requires using different web addresses to get the image.

So, I snap my 2019 system pic, go in Flickr find the pic, set privacy to public (or keep it at private doesn't seem to change things), go to bendy arrow at the bottom of the screen, copy URL, then paste this into the mountain icon under source in the post and nothing other a tiny little blue square appearing in the top left-hand corner which will not expand. Tried other ways but always the same outcome.

There must be other posters using Flickr and the Flickr URL who are going to say ah you just need to click this or that and.........

You are doing everthing right but after you press the bendy arrow press the embedded option go to edit and copy

then instead of the mountain logo press the film with play button logo ( insert media)  then when the box opens press embedded again then make sure you click inside the embedded box then edit and paste,  then lots of letters and text will appear in the box press ok and picture will appear. This is with Mac not windows.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Chris G

Thanks Amadeen and Roog, from both your comments I suspect it is in fact the acoustics of the dealer's dem room which gave me that impression.  I should add that I also listened to some of the new KEF R speakers afterwards which were much more bass-orientated.  I think a home demo beckons!  Thanks both for your valued feedback.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by james n
ROOG posted:

Naim

Turntable is a Heybrook TT2 + Linn Basik

Good to see a Heybrook TT2. My first proper turntable which provided me with a lot of listening pleasure before i headed off on the standard (at the time) LP12 route.

Nice 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Popeye

Guys is there a way of deleting all the posts that’s not an image. It really disrupts the flow of the thread and where people quote with an image, images can be duplicated several times. 

Guys there are only 15 images (not duplicated) on a image thread and 43 comments!

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by RaceTripper
Popeye posted:

Guys there are only 15 images (not duplicated) on a image thread and 43 comments!

That doesn't bother me. I for one expect this thread will also have discussion relevant to posted images. It always has before, right? That's the nature of a forum thread. I don't see how you are going to change that behavior.

RaceTripper posted:
Popeye posted:

That doesn't bother me. I for one expect this thread will also have discussion relevant to posted images. It always has before, right? That's the nature of a forum thread. I don't see how you are going to change that behavior.

Maybe we should have a system pics thread then. ????

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Haim Ronen

On the Quadraspire Under the sweet spot The Anniversary Editon since the Olives and the ProAcs are enetring their 20th year and the T guys (tuner & Turn-table) are exiting thier 40th. I suspect that most of the stuff is broken-in already.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by ameden

Just scanned thro the 2000 plus ‘2018 system pics’ thread, and yes there are many comments...not just piccies....as you may expect..(didn’t count them though...)

Merry Xmas to all.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by RaceTripper
Popeye posted:
RaceTripper posted:

Maybe we should have a system pics thread then. ????

Which we have now, and it's just fine, IMHO. A thread that enforces pictures only seems rather boring to me. I like seeing the commentary. I learn a few things here and there.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by jlarsson
ameden posted:

Hi Chris, I am with AMEDEN on this, I did try a home trial and several dealer auditions of the ATCs all in different rooms and I found the treble slightly rolled off compared to others including PMC twenty five 24,  Klipsch Forte's & B&W 702-2 if any thing I find them a little bass heavy in my room. From running REW, I have a strong feeling that it is my room which combined with the extra bass energy that excites the room at high volumes. I found their alluring characteristics to be the Lovely detail in the mids.

i have seen many references to the active version being worth a try,i just struggled to commit to my amp being built into my speakers.

I demoed the active 40's at home....very good, bass was less/tighter..however preferred my 552/300 sound (just).

The passives were also a touch bass heavy for me...switching from Naca5 resolved this...I  now use Witch hat Phantom..

Had the SCM40A (active) on extended home-demo. Using IsoAcoustics Gaia made the bass very agreeable in my case. Having the amps in the speaker box nust be a disadvantage (physical vibrations) but it still is one of the best I have had demo:d.

Jan

Thanks to AMEDEN and JLarsson for your thoughts on taming the bass, whilst moving my speakers and listening position have gone a long way to improve things in my room, l shall be thinking about some alternative  speaker cables and Gaia feet in the new year.

Haim Ronen posted:

On the Quadraspire Under the sweet spot The Anniversary Editon since the Olives and the ProAcs are enetring their 20th year and the T guys (tuner & Turn-table) are exiting thier 40th. I suspect that most of the stuff is broken-in already.

Ooooh....that luxman tuner looks particularly nice. :0) I need more shiny stereo boxes in my life!

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by hungryhalibut
Popeye posted:

Guys is there a way of deleting all the posts that’s not an image. It really disrupts the flow of the thread and where people quote with an image, images can be duplicated several times. 

It’s about balance between pictures and chat. Just pictures would be really dull and it’s nice to make a few comments. But - endless requoting of images or excessive in depth discussion isn’t what it’s about. So like I say, it’s about balance. This is the ninth year I’ve started, and vaguely tried to guide, the thread. The other day, before starting this one, I looked back to see how many years it actually was. If you look back at the old threads, and bearing in mind a lot of the pictures are no longer hosted, it’s fascinating to see how people’s systems and rooms have evolved. It’s also fascinating to see how the membership of the Forum has changed over the years. There aren’t that many active posters from nine years ago still around. Things change, things move on, people come and go but it’s still the love of music that keeps us together. I personally love to see people’s rooms, and to be able to imagine them sitting there listening to music. 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by yeti42

This is my Monday night curry system, made from leftovers and very tasty. Still a work in progress, I need to find some oil for the turntable bearing as I forgot to pack it, the Townshend supplied oil contains moly and so does the Motul 80w-90 gearbox oil I use in my Guzzi and what’s more it looks the same, I just have to find some in Montpellier. Meanwhile the CDX2 is sounding great. I also need to find racking for the CDs that doesn’t need fixing to a wall, then I can empty the boxes.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Loki
hungryhalibut posted:

To start things off, here is a picture of my setup. The only thing that has changed since last year is the addition of a maple Fraim to match the speakers. 

Forgive me HH, but even from here in the 9 realms your post seems a little previous? What's the rush to obliviate 2018? Oh sorry, that's HP, not that I'm doubting your sauce.

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by joe9407

Happy holidays from NYC!

Room:

System:

Sorry for the crap photography, but hopefully this will get the job done for now. (I reserve the right to post beauty shots later on.)

So, what we have here is:

An LP12 with Kore, Radikal, and an Aro. Cartridge is a Dynavector 20x2L -- the two small boxes just behind the 'table are a Dynavector SUP-200 step-up transformer and P75 phono stage.

Digital duties are courtesy of a Sonore ultraRendu and Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 power supply, which are connected to my latest addition: an RME ADI-2 DAC, which is pretty damn great. These items are sitting on the "CCCP" book, which is a photo collection of bizarre Soviet architecture. Beneath the book is my trusty, ever-faithful CD5, which is goosed by a Hicap 2 that's located just behind George Best on the lower left.

Amp is a 282, CB Hicap (with some secret sauce), and 250.2. On the far left is a KingSound headphone amp.

Speakers are the Devore Fidelity Gibbon 8, which are actually made just across the East River from me in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

I don't really believe in fancy cables, but since I'm an addict I buy them anyway: there's an A23 phono interconnect between the SUT and phono stage; Chord Shawlines connect the phono stage and DAC to the 282; the speaker cables are Vertere Pulse X-mini (sounds a lot like the NAC A5 I have in the closet, but a whole helluva lot more flexible); and various other stuff from Witch Hat, Flashback, and Naim.

All the best to you and yours for a great 2019! 

--Joe

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Loki
hungryhalibut posted:
Popeye posted:

Guys is there a way of deleting all the posts that’s not an image. 

It’s about balance between pictures and chat. 

It's about editing your post.

QED

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by thebigfredc

Joe9407,

Great view, nice floor, interesting system and good to see the Weddoes being liked on the other side of the pond.

Ray

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Geoff C
Loki posted:
hungryhalibut posted:

Forgive me HH, but even from here in the 9 realms your post seems a little previous? What's the rush to obliviate 2018? Oh sorry, that's HP, not that I'm doubting your sauce.

HH Started last years on the 17th December, and this one on the 20th December, I haven't checked any other start dates. So in a few years time it might get closer to the actual correct date! That is if his fear of someone else beating him to it doesn't relax! Having said that his advice on the forum can be invaluable and well considered so his eagerness deserves respect if it really is that important to him! 

Posted on: 22 December 2018 by Kevin-W
james n posted:
ROOG posted:

Naim

Turntable is a Heybrook TT2 + Linn Basik

Good to see a Heybrook TT2. My first proper turntable which provided me with a lot of listening pleasure before i headed off on the standard (at the time) LP12 route.

Nice 

[@mention:1566878603926433] - I too had a TT2 (1984-87) with a Syrinx LE One arm before getting an LP12.

Great deck. [@mention:49154750216812747] - good to see Heybrook getting  a bit of love on here. Until last week I had a pair of HB1s which I bought 35 years ago - fantastic speakers.