When did you join the Naim forum?

Posted by: Sloop John B on 12 January 2019

I know this info is in our profiles but they are soon to disappear forever and only the posts archived. So for posterity when did you join the Naim forum?

Sloop joined on 11th December 2004.

.sjb

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Toksik

Joined the forum January 2003, never owned any Naim gear ..what an admission on here !.

My favourite audio forum has always been the  Pink Fish variety.

Most of my gear has been/is from Linn , and the main dealers i have frequented over the years have been Stereo Stereo and Loud  n Clear in Glasgow.

Being a local here in Waterfoot my allegiance is to Linn ,they provide much needed employment in this area and are always glad to see any visitors to the Big Blue building.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

Late 2010.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Quang Tonthat

August 29, 2000, but I bought a LP12 and  Naim 32.5/HICAP/250 soon after reading a Chris Frankland's article about Linn/Naim/Exposure on a HIFI Review circa 1986/7.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by kuma
EJS posted:

Joined 2009 or so, took some time off when I didn't have any Naim equipment in the rack but came back for the music forum - I like to occasionally post on classical and opera, especially the latter a severely neglected area over here .

I'll hold off on signing up for the new forum until it's up and running - already dreading what comes next after Hopeless introduced the imbecilic 'like' button.

Cheers

EJ

EJ!

You gotta come back to the Music Room! 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Eoink

I joined less than 2 years ago in March 2017, although a Naim user/owner since 1985, I didn't buy any hifi except replacements for damaged items from 1993 until the last 3 years, just listened to a lot of music, so missed out on the majority of the forum's existence. It's been a lot of fun since I did join.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Paul Stephenson

A week or so before it went live

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jonathan Gorse

Amazed to find I joined 31st July 2000 which makes me feel somewhat ancient, especially with a 50th birthday looming in March!  My association with naim goes back much further though because I started with a naim nait MK1 which I bought ex demo back in June 1988.  It's an incredible amp and still giving sterling service in the second system driving Naim Intro speakers. 

That little amp was purchased to go to University with and was a feature of many a room party, drunken music session, seduction scene  and sad breakup!  I've heard many many other amplifiers both at shows and in the course of reviewing gear for a while but I've never found any amplifiers I like more than naim.

Nice to see some old faces still around!  I don't check in as often as I did, but I'm listening to and buying as much music and film as ever.  Yesterday I was in HMV picking up a mixture of CD's, vinyl and Blurays.  In fact yesterday was a very special day because my daughter (aged 13) bought her first two vinyl records (Lana del Rey and Billy Eilish) and it was quite a special moment teaching her how to play them on the Gyrodec!  I'm about to repatriate my old Ariston RD110SL/ Linn LVX turntable from the loft for her to use in her bedrooom on my original Sound Organisation table!! 

This thread is making me rather nostalgic!!

Jonathan

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Dozey

I started posting in about 2002 - back when you could post as a guest. I am a veteran of the Mana flame wars.

My first Naim was a CD3 bought in the early 90's. Never owned a Naim amp.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Richard Dane
Jonathan Gorse posted:

...Yesterday I was in HMV picking up a mixture of CD's, vinyl and Blurays.  In fact yesterday was a very special day because my daughter (aged 13) bought her first two vinyl records (Lana del Rey and Billy Eilish) and it was quite a special moment teaching her how to play them on the Gyrodec!  I'm about to repatriate my old Ariston RD110SL/ Linn LVX turntable from the loft for her to use in her bedrooom on my original Sound Organisation table!! 

Jonathan, I am most heartened by your post.  Your daughter is a very lucky girl indeed to be given your Ariston/Linn TT. Funnily enough in the past couple of years I have sourced and set up vinyl systems for my girlfriends youngest daughter, as well as the youngest daughter one a good friend, who received her system this Christmas.  I dropped by a few days ago as I wanted to fit some new banana plugs to the speaker cables and she proudly showed off her latest haul of vinyl that she bought from Honest John's with her Christmas money.  We played some John Coltrane to check that all the wiring and plugs were well. A lovely moment!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by james n

It looks like I joined in 2005. I’d had Naim kit since my teenage years and I suspect I joined the forum to find out more about the n-Vi, which was just coming out at the time (a bittersweet ownership experience….) The forum has proved to be a great help over the years, with useful advice and latterly, as I’ve moved on from Naim kit in my main system, finding excellent new music recommendations via the Music Room threads. It’s still a good place to hang out and I hope that continues with the new platform.

See you on the other side…

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jonathan Gorse

Richard - lovely to hear from you and glad to hear you are keeping high quality music alive around you too - sounds like we're raising a whole young generation of teenage vinyl junkies! 

In a similar vein we've started a new tradition in our house which has now extended to guests who come for dinner!  Basically everyone has to choose 3x records to play and they have to say what they like about them.  We use Youtube as the medium for playing stuff (usually) and it's proved a great way for my daughter to introduce us to artists she likes as well as introducing her to artists we like.  I was astounded the other day when she played me a New Order track which she had heard and loved!  This gave me the opportunity to pull out all my old New Order vinyl for her!  In short there's a lot of cross-percolation going on in our house which is proving great fun and I hope her having her own turntable will lead to her digging into my large vinyl collection!

I was hoping to make Bristol this year, but will endeavour to get to one of the shows and maybe we can catch up over a beer sometime!

Jon

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by rodwsmith

April 2004 for me.

but I think I had been around before then. Started with a secondhand 62 / 42.5 /Rega 3 combo from The Cornflake Shop in London.

Then one day Polar Bear sold me his super-Xerxes.

I still haven’t got over the loss of Berlin Fritz. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by james n
rodwsmith posted:

Started with a secondhand 62 / 42.5 /Rega 3 combo from The Cornflake Shop in London.

Ah the Cornflake Shop... I think my dream system at the time was an Xerxes, Nait 1 and Wharfedale Diamonds mounted in those special exoskeleton stands (IIRC made by the Cornflake Shop).

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Mulberry

February 2015 for me, feels like yesterday. Now where did all that time go 

To all the nice members who might not make the jump to the new platform, thinking of HH and Dave***T now: I shall miss you. People like you made this the only forum I ever joined. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by HansW

I think it was 1997 or thereabout.

Hans

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Jack

Profile says.........12 December 2001

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by seakayaker

Joined May 24, 2017 with the user name of "seakayaker" which I have enjoyed for years and my wife and I still occasionally get out on the water. The icon I use is a selfie taken with one of my 35mm cameras.

Shortly after joining I basically settled in with a Synology DS716+II (located in a different room in the house) > ND5 XS > Nait XS 2  > sitting on a couple of end tables > NAC A5 > ProAC D2.

This forum will close with me now using  a Synology DS716+II (located in a different room in the house) > NDX > SuperNait 2 > Quadraspire Q4 EVO (Bamboo) Rack > NAC A5 > Ovator S-400.

I have read through hundreds of threads exploring many of Naim's products and gained a lot of product knowledge and came to appreciate the many point of views on product configuration and performance. My favorite thread has always been the "What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested?" thread which has exposed me to a ton of new artists and music. 

Looking forward to the new forum and hope to see you all on the other side!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by jfritzen

December 2008. Had I known that I would stay so long, I'd have chosen a better forum name. Perhaps this is the time to change it.

Good bye old forum, Hello new forum!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Simon-in-Suffolk

September 2005... after having bought my first Naim component, a CDX2, which I still have and use today  ... lovely player.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Mercky

Only in Jan 2018 but it seems longer, love the ‘what are you listening to’ thread and have learnt lots technically, also great to hook up with likeminded people all over the globe. I think Mercky might be laid to rest, new forum new persona and all that, see you on the far side!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Chris Dolan

1st May 2001 apparently. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by RM

May 2011 after buying my first naim player - the original uniti with kudos X2 speakers. My brother still has them and we absolutely love what it can do even today. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by RM
RM posted:

May 2011 after buying my first naim player - the original uniti with kudos X2 speakers. My brother still has them and we absolutely love what it can do even today. 

It has been a fun filled journey to my current system - each upgrade giving me the feeling of being a child with a new toy 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Drewy

18th January 2015.

I’ve lasted a few days shy of four years and I think that’s it for me. Not really getting much from it these days, just frustrated so the fact that it’s all getting shut down and re-booted is good for me.

I wish you all the best of health. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by DenisA

Apparently I Joined the Forum on 25 July 2003. My first naim combo was a 42/110 rig bought in Sept 1979 and started me on the path to really enjoy music. Thanks to naim and all their staff over the years for their continued product support and innovation