Naimnet Now Audible

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 16 February 2008

Naimnet Now Audible

According to this thread, http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/48019385/m/2372901317, the first reported example is available to listen to!

This is brilliant news in my view, and the begining of something very important!

George
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by Signals UK
All together now . . . Alan? Smile
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by e-h
With all these coming features the only issue left is the limited storage space on the unit itself.
My music collection does already take up more than 400GB and that is using Apple Lossless compression. Does anyone have any solutions for that?
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by djftw
As many network ready external drives as you need!

Or if you really have a HUGE amount a rackmount network drive bay and drives, you can get around 15-18TB per 1U of rackspace.

If you have an INSANELY HUGE amount of music, i.e. more than you will have time to listen to in your lifetime you can fill an 80U rack with the things and enjoy 1440TB or roughly 1.5million GB of storage.

That works out as... roughly 2.5million hours of uncompressed CD quality WAV files, or 285 years and 2months! Just how long are you planning on living? Big Grin
And I thought I read somewhere that the NS01 server could play from, but would not store to external drives. If the ripping mechanism is that much greater than a computer that leaves me wanting more. As always Roll Eyes

PS! I already have a 2TB NAS Big Grin
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by Adam Meredith
quote:
Originally posted by djftw:
That works out as... roughly 2.5million hours of uncompressed CD quality WAV files, or 285 years and 2months!

Just how long are you planning on living?

Probably not even long enough to rip it.
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by BigH47
Is this thread available in English?
I guess it ain't aimed at me.
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by u5227470736789439
Dear Howard,

I could care less how bad a case of TB a hard drive has, but am only interested in how many CDs it could hold without compression! And so on ...

I think the presentation of this needs shifting away from PC-lingo, to normal English! One hundred per cent agreed!

George
Sorry guys...

My guess is that the NS01 will let you store 550 CDs (give or take).
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by connon price
quote:
That works out as... roughly 2.5million hours of uncompressed CD quality WAV files, or 285 years and 2months! Just how long are you planning on living?

It is not about how long I intend on living, it is how well. Perhaps some feel that choice is a part of quality.

"I think the presentation of this needs shifting away from PC-lingo, to normal English! One hundred per cent agreed!"

George,

While I totally appreciate confusion from new languages, please look both at the sentence I quote here for words that meant nothing to people a few years ago and also consider what most people see when they look at the sheet music for a Bartok piece. Complete gibberish.
A learning curve is always to be expected as things change.
That said, I want to enjoy Bartok without having to either read the music or play the instruments. Leave that to the technicians. Though I am sure a better understanding and appreciation of the music would be mine if I could do both. I am but an amatuer musician who plays bass, guitar and can decipher music at a glacial pace.

Connon
Dear Connon,

Really reading music is something you have to practice, but of itself has only a value as tool! Mainly for playing music, in most cases. It certainly helps in deciphering very complex music from the score where it is too dense to easily appreciate as sound at first listening. Once you have done the groundwork with the music, the listening becomes much more detailed, and that is about it. Not crucial, but nice! It can save time!

But PC-lingo is a right PIA! I am never going to drool over the tech-specs of a PC or any replay device!

If the Naim sever will carry 550 CDs then it is a very large store. At its most I had about 800 LPs, and since have reached a peak of about 800 CDs, but this is certainly too many for me!

I reckon my ripping will be a time for some serious pruning of the actual scale of my library! I have always been a heavy pruner. Really a library for me should be a sort of distillation, with the radio and concerts filling in the extra, more rarely listened to pieces of music!

550 is enough for me.

All I want to know now is how well it sounds at this early stage in its development and progression!

George
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by David Dever
Don't feel bad, GFFJ, the verdict's still out on how many bytes there are in a gigabyte, from a storage perspective.
Even the the relationship between bits and bytes is a binary one and not the kilo relationship usual ascribed wrongly to it!

1024 if I remember right!

That seems a long time ago now!

So I'll take storage in CDs contained at a given standard for easement's sake!

George
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by chrisp01
Most lossless compression systems (Apple Lossless, WMA Lossless, FLAC) will achieve at least 40% compression, so lets say a CD will compress to 500MB at worst.

That's 800 CDs per 400GB hard drive. OK, formatted size will be a bit smaller and there'll be some space used up by system files, but its a good ball park estimation - and enough for my current 700 disc collection. Add in a network drive or two for expansion and it'll keep me happy.

I'll get my Supernait and DVD5 installed at the end of next week, then start saving! Meanwhile I'll rely on Apple Express for music stored on my network attached hard drive. Can't wait to try it into the SN.
Posted on: 19 February 2008 by Alco
quote:
Most lossless compression systems (Apple Lossless, WMA Lossless, FLAC) will achieve at least 40% compression, so lets say a CD will compress to 500MB at worst.

That's 800 CDs per 400GB hard drive.

About 2 weeks ago I bought me a 500GB internal HD. As with every HD you don't really get the full 100% storage space. In my case there was 465GB left to use.

Currently I have ripped 196 CD's into Flac files. That took 74,6GB from my 465GB.
That means that I can rip around 1200/1215 CD's onto my 500GB HD! Smile
(I have about 670CD's, so... that should keep me happy and busy for a while Winker Cool )

regards,
Alco
Alco, I would recommend you backup your data on a second disk unless you like ripping your CDs multiple times.
Posted on: 20 February 2008 by Alan A
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Dane:
AAC/Apple lossless support is coming.

As for the rest, I think it's best to have somebody on the Naimnet team answer specific questions... Alan?

Gathering up the open issues in front of me;-

Network drives: connect by standard Ethernet. Locate anywhere an the same network. Limit is dependant on size of internal database stored on internal HDD. Around 20k albums approx. Internal storage is approx 650 albums with backup on the current 400G drives. Each external 1Tb of staorage is appros 1600 albums.

External storage simply takes care of overflow from the main server and should be configured to be secure against any drive failure.

Internally the server rips bit perfect .wav and creates a .mp3192k for such as sync and other feartures which will be addeed in future.

Network scanning searches any .aac, .wav, .flac and .mp3 files for playback on the local server audio output(s). (Can be any simultaneous mix on the NS02 and NS03 which have 4 analogue outputs) Happy with Samba shares whether hosted on linux or mac boxes. The files are played on the Server but are not moved or copied from their location.

USB connection - we call this Naim Digital Dock - exposes the music on the internal storage of a USB connected device such as mp3 player or phone. Drive is enumerated and then music shows in menus for playing: it again does not move and will dissapear when the device is undocked. The drive in an iPod or similar must be PC formatted. (FAT32 or NTFS. We do not support HFS or ext3)

Alan
Posted on: 20 February 2008 by djftw
quote:
Originally posted by e-h:
And I thought I read somewhere that the NS01 server could play from, but would not store to external drives. If the ripping mechanism is that much greater than a computer that leaves me wanting more. As always Roll Eyes

PS! I already have a 2TB NAS Big Grin

Nice! That should keep you for a while! Surely there must be a way to rip files onto the Naimnet and then move them to another drive across the network?
Posted on: 20 February 2008 by michael1702
quote:
Originally posted by Alan A:

as i understand your information there is no way to access the files on the internal hdd from outside the box and no way to transfer already ripped (wav) files to the internal hdd. am i right?

when you say "the server rips bit perfect .wav" does this equal rips by eac/acurraterip?

thanks,
michael
Posted on: 20 February 2008 by Slabwax
Ok very dumb question.

Can you use a NS0? as a cdp also? Listen, Rip and Store cds on same box. If you can how does the ns series compare to the cdp line?

Thanks for answering my stupidity.

Dean
Posted on: 20 February 2008 by Keith L
Dean,
You can only rip with a ns01.
Posted on: 20 February 2008 by Slabwax
Thanks Keith

Dean
Posted on: 20 February 2008 by JeremyB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Dane:
AAC/Apple lossless support is coming.

As for the rest, I think it's best to have somebody on the Naimnet team answer specific questions... Alan?

Network drives: connect by standard Ethernet. Locate anywhere an the same network. Limit is dependant on size of internal database stored on internal HDD. Around 20k albums approx. Internal storage is approx 650 albums with backup on the current 400G drives. Each external 1Tb of staorage is appros 1600 albums.

External storage simply takes care of overflow from the main server and should be configured to be secure against any drive failure.

Internally the server rips bit perfect .wav and creates a .mp3192k for such as sync and other feartures which will be addeed in future.

Network scanning searches any .aac, .wav, .flac and .mp3 files for playback on the local server audio output(s). (Can be any simultaneous mix on the NS02 and NS03 which have 4 analogue outputs) Happy with Samba shares whether hosted on linux or mac boxes. The files are played on the Server but are not moved or copied from their location.

USB connection - we call this Naim Digital Dock - exposes the music on the internal storage of a USB connected device such as mp3 player or phone. Drive is enumerated and then music shows in menus for playing: it again does not move and will dissapear when the device is undocked. The drive in an iPod or similar must be PC formatted. (FAT32 or NTFS. We do not support HFS or ext3)

Alan

I'm falling in love with Naim all over again...
Posted on: 20 February 2008 by daddycool
quote:
quote:
The drive in an iPod or similar must be PC formatted. (FAT32 or NTFS. We do not support HFS or ext3)

Alan

Why any developper would happily toss away almost 10% of the market is beyond me.

In this day and age Apple non-compatibility is more an issue of mindset than of technical issues IMO.

Apart from that (and the Windows-only installer for Naimnet) the team seems to have done a great job!
Posted on: 21 February 2008 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by daddycool:
quote:
quote:
The drive in an iPod or similar must be PC formatted. (FAT32 or NTFS. We do not support HFS or ext3)

Alan

Why any developper would happily toss away almost 10% of the market is beyond me.

Agreed! As a life long Mac user I can say that we went from 2% to 10% in a rather short time. Did anyone see this months PC Magazines reviews of the three major operating systems - Vista-Linux-Mac Leopard.

Leopard won hands down - and that is from the editors of a PC Magazine! Forecasts show our 10% marketshare growth outperforming the others over the next several years.

Gregg
Posted on: 22 February 2008 by Signals UK
Must admit that my heart sank when I saw the naimnet installation software was PC only. Mind you, it ran fine in parallels on the Mac.

The inability to read a mac-formatted iPod directly is mitigated slightly by the fact that the server will happily read the iTunes music folder on a networked Mac. I guess if you are running a PC-formatted iPod synced to the naim server, then you won't be too worried about apple updates, which tend to be itunes orientated.

A nice touch is that you don't need to update the music library (as with Sonos). Any changes to the music database on attached devices are found and listed within about 30 minutes. Yes I know that the Sonos can have this scheduled automatically, but it is usually just a daily update.

Tried comparing 24/92 music on the server with a CD burned from same data at standard CD resolution played on the CD555 (552/500/SL2 Din Hi-Line on both). It could be down to the transfer, but the NS01 sounded rather more wholesome, open, solid and compelling. As I say, it could be the transfer to the CD that was the weakness here, so far from definitive. It does auger well for the concept of ultra high quality downloads though.