AV3?!?!

Posted by: SimonJ on 25 March 2005

Anyone (Naim or non Naim) heard any rumors about a potential AV3? When, specs, price etc...
Posted on: 16 June 2005 by AndrewB
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewB:
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Abela:
General,

You need a centre. The best would be another 10-2A which would be the perfect match, but I don't know if ATC would supply a single. The difference the centre makes is quite remarkable, although I'm not surprised the system sounds rather good as it is.

I have recently ditched my centre and improved the sound. I use ATC SCM50ASL (active speakers) for the front left and right. The speakers are 7 feet apart and the screen onto which I project the films is exactly 7 feet wide and I sit 11 feet away from it. I think that a centre is essential for a plasma or conventional TV in order to locate the dialogue properly, but when you get to a projector screen of a decent size then the integration advantages of a phantom centre outweigh the localisation advantages of a real centre. In fact a centre might be over-localised in some ways when the screen is that large and the actor is off-centre.

Anyway, the matching active ATC centre is huge and very expensive!

Andrew
Posted on: 17 June 2005 by General Skanky
I've seen pictures of it.

It's like having a small car parked in front of you. Big Grin

The 10A-2s do a sterling job of the front soundstage. There are times when a centre is blatantly missing, but as I said before, it would have to sit in the fireplace above my sub, so it'd be down to that or death by wife. Big Grin
Posted on: 17 June 2005 by AndrewB
I own some 10A-2s and I think they are excellent speakers. The only advantages the 50s have over them is in the deep bass region (fairly obviously) and also the latest 50s have a better tweeter (which is also in the latest 20s).

I am currently experimenting with running my home theatre system without a sub (sending the .1 signal to the 50s) and I think it may actually be better than with the REL Strata III. My 50s are pretty much flat to 20Hz in room (I've measured them with a measurement mic and real-time analyser). The REL can add a LITTLE more gut-wrench/rumble but at the expense of losing the precision/control in the audible frequencies.

Andrew
http://pictures06.aol.co.uk/NASApp/ygp/Login?event=View...57854.1&locale=en_UK

Can you paste a pic straight into this reply, or does the forum not support this?
Used to own aq pair of 20s, those tweeters are superb!

Miss them a lot.
Posted on: 17 June 2005 by blythe
In basic English, what is a scaler?
(he asks expecting all kinds of sarcastic remarks!
Posted on: 17 June 2005 by AndrewB
A scaler takes a signal from a video source (eg DVD, VCR, Sky) and attempts to scale it up so that it has more detail on the way out of the scaler box. This can be useful so you can send a signal to a display device (eg an LCD projector) at its "native resolution", which is the level of detail at which it performs best. Projectors will have scalers built into them anyway but external scalers are often better.

Andrew
Posted on: 18 June 2005 by blythe
Thanks AndrewB - I kind of thought it might be something along those lines - thanks for making it clear!
Posted on: 18 June 2005 by Mark R
hi blythe - a bit more info on scalers. DVDs are currently delivered in 480/576. As AndrewB points out, if you have a digital display or projector that displays in higher resolution e.g. 1280x720 pixels, the scaler has the job of converting the delivered 480/576 signal up to the required resolution of the screen. This scaler can be in the display/projector device itself, or in an external, dedicated device e.g. Lumagen, DVDO IScan, etc.

A subtle point to note: there is no additional information in a scaled picture. The additional pixels in a high res display get their information from interpolation that the scaler performs on the original signal.

Here's my attempt at a simple example:

Assume a standard display using 480/576 has two pixels next to each other, A and B. Information for these pixels maps directly from the 480/576 DVD input signal with, in general, no scaling required. So, we could say there is a direct mapping from input signal to display, with no other processing.

Now let's assume we take the same input signal, but use a 720 hi-def display instead. The same pixel space is now taken up by four pixels A, B, C and D (note: this is not strict a correlation of 480 to 720 displays; it's just a hypothetical example). Let's assume the original information for pixel A still goes to pixel A, but the information for pixel B now goes to pixel D. How do we get the information for the additional pixels B and C? Well, that's the job of the scaler, and it will fill in the gaps, based on the information it is given for A and D.

So, no additional native information, but we use more (and smaller) pixels. When we get HD DVDs, we'll have more input information and, in theory, no scaling required to get to 720, assuming the source is 720 of course. More information, fewer processing steps, better quality, theoretically.

Cheers,
Mark.
Posted on: 18 June 2005 by blythe
Another thank you! I can see exactly wjere you're coming from. As I have never knowingly seen a "scaled" picture Vs a "non scaled" picture, I have no idea how they compare... All I know is that the pic from my budget projector looks impressive, though I can conceed that it isn't the last word in picture quality.

I'll sit and wait a while and see how things go!
Thanks to eveyone for your input (no pun)
Posted on: 18 June 2005 by David Dever
The DVI connector on the rear panel of the DVD5 connects via a removable high-density connector to a breakout from the video processor board; there are also plenty of unused connectors left on the (Naim-designed) PCB...

As for the SCART thingie...like the DIN plug, the Europeans have it one up on us (north) Americans yet again...think of the panel real estate needed to break out all of the possible SCART signal combinations on RCA phono jacks!
Posted on: 19 June 2005 by Mark R
Dave, thanks for the interesting tidbit on the connections. Hmmm, DVD5 iterations ... ;-)