SuperLine Loading Thread.

Posted by: Julian H on 26 April 2008

Since there are now a few SUPERLINE's about and many are expecting them shortly I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could all contribute our experiences.

Please keep all discussions on topic. The ultimate intention is to have a database of users opinion for each of the various cartridges being used.
Posted on: 27 May 2008 by jon h
DEfiniely get the big counterweight!

Its entirley right and proper that Tikitoki will need a different loading to xv1s
Posted on: 27 May 2008 by northpole
quote:
Tikitoki

Do you have to Jon?!! Makes me feel all inferior when you use that term - Corgi or Dinkey version of the real thing!! Frown

Peter
how about Kiri Te Kanawa? Is that better? :-)
Posted on: 27 May 2008 by kuma
quote:
Originally posted by jon honeyball:
DEfiniely get the big counterweight!

According to the specs, a Rua weighs in at 8.8g and XV1s at whooping 12.6g.

At what weight, the factory recommend to use a heavier counter weight on ARO?

Is this a cartridge dependent thing?
I would thought that you can get away with a normal counter weight with a Rua.
Just put the system back together after saturdays Massive meeting

and had the 453ohm plug ready, courtesy of Dr Superline and Dr Peter

Oh

My

Gawd

it all came back -- the huge depth, the vast imaging, the clean sound, the music making.

sorry guys, but The Massive was massively shortchanged on saturday by the 470 plug...

you know where to visit... :-)

jon
Posted on: 27 May 2008 by Geoff P
FYI the 453R is working better than any other loading on Geoff's system using XV1-s SME V and Raven Gorby Orbe plus!

Other loadings tried: 500R, 470R, 442R and 430R.

Kind regards,

Peter
Posted on: 28 May 2008 by jon h
How fascinating -- its almost as if the XV1S has a "resonance peak" at 453ohms loading.
Posted on: 28 May 2008 by glevethan
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff P:
FYI the 453R is working better than any other loading on Geoff's system using XV1-s SME V and Raven Gorby Orbe plus!

Other loadings tried: 500R, 470R, 442R and 430R.

Kind regards,

Peter

Geoff

Is Peter there with a SuperLine ? Eek
Do I detect a future change in the making ? Winker

I picked mine up on Saturday afternoon - listened to one song - and then had to go out for the evening.
Brief listening on Sunday and then an extended session last night.
Words cannot explain what I am hearing.

Have fun.

Regards
Gregg
Posted on: 28 May 2008 by Geoff P
quote:
Geoff

Do I detect a future change in the making ?
.....Ah we will have to wait and see....still in testing Big Grin

the 'real' Geoff
Posted on: 31 May 2008 by Geoff P
quote:
Come on you two, can we have a pic or two to just to keep us going?
Please?
....not here Stuart...wrong place Winker This is for loading details only really. What you seek is here:

http://forums.naim-audio.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/48019385/m/9062927417

regards
Geoff
Posted on: 31 May 2008 by Geoff P
Speaking of loading details:

453R No capacitor ..... sounds excellent on my Orbe / SME V / XV-1s

regards
Geoff
Posted on: 01 June 2008 by JeremyB
Finally got back to looking at the loading for my Koetsu Onyx after trying the Airtight PC-1 which proved to have too high an output (0.6mV spec) for Superline.

Long story short - 153R gave me a flavor of what all the Graham/Continuum etc guys presumably like which is the lush midrange but for me everything else is wrong, timing off, no frequency extension and so slow it makes my head hurt. So I went to 500R and 1nf (Proche/approssimazione/Entspricht ungefähr/approximates to Naim 'K') and everything is right with the world again - boogies, waltzes, swings, sparkles, resonates, sings etc. So as a generic MC starting point I believe this is it. I'm convinced that whoever came up with the 560R/1nF load in the first place got it about right. If Steve Sells is reading - thanks for a wonderful phono stage and please update the entry in your spreadsheet. Also Helikon Mono is now a "no plugs" 10k/100pF.
Posted on: 01 June 2008 by kuma
I'm still on the 220R/No cap.

The one thing I've learned with the Superline is that the system no longer worked well with my beloved Nait 3R. Or even with a NAP 140.
The Superline is so open in that now I hear the shortcoming of the amp too much.
Posted on: 01 June 2008 by JeremyB
Hi Kuma,

Which cartridge?
Jeremy
Posted on: 01 June 2008 by aht
quote:
Originally posted by JeremyB:
the Airtight PC-1 which proved to have too high an output (0.6mV spec) for Superline.

Gee, could you actually hear it overloading, with distortion and/or flattened dynamics? In the overall MC scheme of things, that's not such a high output level...
quote:
Originally posted by JeremyB:
Which cartridge?

Jeremy,

On the Miyabi/47.
Posted on: 01 June 2008 by Lyubo
quote:
Originally posted by Julian H:
Getting down and dirty with the little blighters! Big Grin

I find the same little blighters but in another "load plugs".

In my 500R plug I find 1,1K ± 1% resistor (according color codes) and in my 5,6nF plug I find 4,7nF capacitor!

The right resistor is in my 1K plug - 1K ± 0,5%!

The label shows the value of the component inside the plug - the truth or not the truth ...
I wonder it's because to compensate for the Superline's internal loadings?
Posted on: 01 June 2008 by Lyubo
quote:
Originally posted by kuma:
I wonder it's because to compensate for the Superline's internal loadings?

Yes Kuma, but in the rest of plugs the label shows the value just as the component inside - 100R,220R,1nF and 10nF.
ah..

Well, it might be a screw up then. ( which I suppose can happen )
quote:
Originally posted by aht:
In the overall MC scheme of things, that's not such a high output level...

But then all of the cartridges used in this thread so far have less than .3mV. ( or right around there )

So comparatively, output of .6mV is double.
True enough Kuma, the general discussion has been about lower output cartridges. However, there is a general trend among even very expensive, highly-regarded cartridges for higher output than before. You can see this in many Lyra, Clearaudio, and Benz expensive cartridges, for example, and among the mid-price offerings of Allaerts and Koetsu. And certainly the Air Tight is regarded as state-of-the-art by some.

To me, the interesting question is, what is it about the Superline--and Naim phono stages in general--that makes them work only in a narrow range of cartridge output level? This is not the norm in the genre of expensive phono stages.
aht,

There might be something else going on besides the output voltage.

Transfiguration's Orpheus also worked well with the Superline and this cartridge has a similar output voltage to the PC1. (0.67mV @ 5cm/sec. 1kHz )

So, the argument of the Superline only works with a narrow range of output voltage is somewhat out of window there.

I think we need more data to conclude.

p.s. I just looked the specs for the Akiva.
It's at .56mV @ 5cm/sec. ( the written spec is given at 3.45 cm ( probably a typo there ), so I did the conversion to match the rest )

I also assumed that original PC-1's .6mV is figured at 5 cm groove velocity, but if it is measured at 3.54 cm, its output voltage is now 0.42mV.
Kuma,

That's pretty interesting data; you're right, there may be something other than simple output level at play here. But I'd still like to hear JeremyB's report on what he heard with the Air Tight/Superline combination.

FWIW, for the first two days my Superline, hooked up to a XVI-s, sounded like it was overloading. That effect has subsequently disappeared.
aht,

What's the rest of your system?
And what loading are you using?