hdx online

Posted by: michael1702 on 30 April 2008

HDX Hard Disk player

give me a mac client software and i'll order it right now.
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by pylod
what if the performance of the bare and last stage hdx will be somewhere between the cdx2 and the cds3 ?...is it still too expensive ?

u can attach a NAS , you can use it as a cd player and you can give space to at least 600 cd...and you donīt need to struggle with your software...and that everything in a neat nice box...

what is wrong with that ?...

i must say i am a bit tired of the ripping threads..i really donīt care if the hdx rips 1:1 or 1 : 000,98 or 1: 2,189776..i just expect it to sound like a naim cd player or even better Winker
non laptop / dac combination even came closer to the cdx2.. even the big dacs not...the reason for that maybe lays in the whole concept and not just the correct ripping... why does linn do so much effort of an aluminum case which is hermetical closed then ? as i heard are the electronical parts almost identical in the 2 ds players... except of the 10000 euro gapp... Big Grin

the only think to do now, is just to listen to the new box...

so where is it ? Big Grin
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by pcstockton
You know what is so very cool about a PC>DAC source?

Right now I am listening to Miles Davis (through my new Arivas!!!) in Foobar2000, in a different window. Posting a message here, and watching an auction online.

I can change to random... just did it.

Now hearing a Radiohead In Rainbows (Vinyl Transfer, 24/96)...

I love the PC source. I have 1.5 TB at my disposal. Over 70,000 FLAC tracks at my bidding.

Plus I use my HDTV as the monitor, so when i switch over to a ballgame for the ninth inning, i dont have to go anywhere.

All from one spot.
do everyone expect , that the so called maybefutureNAIMdac will play above a hdx performance ? with a laptopp for half of the hdx price...

i think you can answer the question for yourself...

but maybe just the laptops are still to bad...Winker
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by Guido Fawkes
quote:
i think you can answer the question for yourself...

nope I give in .... far too hard for me.

easy questions only, please.
sounds like the enterprise bridge...Smile

to be really honest i would be glad if the computer would disappear out of my live...i banned the tv 18 years ago..but i am honest to say , that from time to time i get addicted to ebay as well Big Grin

tomorrow my boat will come into the water and that is what i am looking to...

heheh...any news on waterproof naim boatsytems ?
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by EmCee
As I prevously stated I have a pretty good Naim setup, so spending Ģ4500 to replace/add to the CD playing element of that is just not good investment for me, others may have differing opions.

I guess I would like a Naim solution that appels to my (and many others) needs.
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by Richard Dane
quote:
Originally posted by pylod:
heheh...any news on waterproof naim boatsytems ?

hmmmm... well, all the Naimnet equipment is "marine-ready"...
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by EmCee
I apreciate its not a Naim question. Would like to know what software others are using for CD ripping (and importantly duplicate deletion) ....
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by Paul Hutchings
quote:
Originally posted by EmCee:
I apreciate its not a Naim question. Would like to know what software others are using for CD ripping (and importantly duplicate deletion) ....

iTunes on OS X, with Error Correction.
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by Paul Hutchings
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Dane:
Paul,

yes, you can use the HDX for ripping and store on NAS storage.

Thanks for the clarification Richard.
richard...

i think i need to reconsider a bigger boat Winker

differnt question: as it is possible to play other music pieces, which are stored on an attached NAS through the hdx. will the sound quality of the external ripped files sound different , than the internal ripped ones ? letīs say you have used the best tools and software...

regards p
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by 555
quote:
Originally posted by pcstockton:
Right now I am listening to Miles Davis (through my new Arivas!!!) in Foobar2000, in a different window. Posting a message here, and watching an auction online.

Not the most engaging sound from your system then officer?
I can't hold a conversation, let alone read a book when I'm listening to mine.
I suppose we all want different things from our music systems ...

Re: your location - "Bend, OR" - bend or what precisely? Winker
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by e-h
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Dane:
Huw,

we have no problems with Apple file formats as we have bought the licenses. However files copy protected with DRM cannot be streamed through the HDX (or anything else for that matter).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you may be able to read the files if you use the iTunes library sharing function (stream). Not that it is a good idea to do so IMHO.

Edit: To all those who think it's a mighty expensive unit. If you'd consider a CDX2/CDS3, why not audition the HDX? You might find the sound is on pair and that the added convenience is worth going the extra mile?

I totally agree with those thinking that the HDX is not for those who are satisfied with their Squeezebox connected directly to their Nait 5i. No need to worry, I can't afford a HDX myself, but if I ever will it'll be most welcome in my shelf for an audition Smile
quote:
Originally posted by 555:
quote:

Not the most engaging sound from your system then officer?
I can't hold a conversation, let alone read a book when I'm listening to mine.
I suppose we all want different things from our music systems ...

Re: your location - "Bend, OR" - bend or what precisely? Winker

My lord.... I didnt know it was a requirement to listen to Music exclusively when doing so. Moreover, I didnt know that listening to music while making dinner, or eating, or hanging out with friends, talking, was frowned upon.

In fact, a lot of enjoyment I get from my system comes from listening with loved ones and friends. Everyone LOVES to listen to music at my house.

555, maybe you are just not very talented. Or perhaps I am an accomplished multi-tasker.

OOOOPS, I just realized that Mozart is making magic. And i am writing this post!!! What am I doing?!?!?!

Maybe if I spent $100,000 on 500 series components I wouldn't be able to speak either, or anything else for that matter.
Posted on: 02 May 2008 by 555
It's not a requirement & I'm not frowning;
no need to get yourself all bent out of shape! Winker
I found your multi-tasking comments an indicator of the musical involvement
& enjoyment you get from your system.

When friends & family visit we enjoying listening to music together,
but the response from my guests is almost always to sit back, relax & enjoy the music (in gob-smacked silence). Of course sometimes they ask if I have a certain recording or artist.

Pcstockton maybe you are just not very engaging.
Or perhaps I am have accomplished the art of lightening up.

If you want background music in your life & have picked the right system good for you.
quote:

Pcstockton maybe you are just not very engaging.
Or perhaps I am have accomplished the art of lightening up.

If you want background music in your life & have picked the right system good for you.

What??? Did I forget excessive use of smiley's??? According to some here, possibly you, my 102/180/Ariva kit is only good for background music anyway... Winker better?

Seriously though... I have music in my life nearly every waking moment. Whether it is the Naim kit, the Nakamichi in my car, or the crap yamaha at work, I always have something on.

"not very engaging..." Me?? If so hen why are your friends sitting there in silence?? Winker Perhaps they are all sitting there thinking to themselves,
"Great... I have to sit here and listen to this ridiculously priced stereo, and pretend I am enjoying it. Better yet, i have to pretend to "hear" the difference, and act like I know what the hell PRAT is..... Honey, what is low-end extension?"

Thats what some of my friends are thinking. Especially when i wont let them touch anything. Winker
a 102 /180 /ariva is certainly better than a background musicbox ...

but it also depends , what you attach it to...

if your dac combo satisfy your needs, why not just be happy and enjoy the music..with or without friends...

withthe hdx we talking about cdx2 to cds3 levels...the pricetags will certainly be higher here then 3rd party sollutions...but when it function, why complain then ?

i certainly whished the 400 would be a 1 tb , but i think naim knows what is best for the performance.

i still think everything will be resolved when the hdx will be in the stores and we can listen to it...

p
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by pcstockton
i only complain about the price tag which is basically a downpayment on a new home. That is it in a nut shell.

Ill do the best i can for now.
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by pcstockton
Bend like the wind...

to answer your question Big Grin
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by Steve S1
Richard,

Thanks for filling in some of the gaps. Could I ask if there is any possibility that what you have learned with the HDX will lead to a more simple streamer/DAC? Or stand alone DAC?

NAS is already inexpensive for those who want it. The music storage issue will surely go more toward owning or renting a vault of it that you can stream from anywhere.

Steve
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by 555
quote:
Bend like the wind...

More like "break like the wind" I think! Winker

I think we use music for different things.
I have a 2nd & car system which are sonically OK, but really I use them as B/G music.

I like to immerse myself in music with my main system.
Due to the number of repeat requests I get for a listening sessions from friends & family I'm sure they enjoy our listening sessions just as much as I do.

Do you go to see music performed live?
If so do you surf the internet & have a chat with your companions at the same time?
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by EmCee
For someone wanting CDX level CD replay and convenience then the HDX represents good value.

However I think its fair to say that most of us have a very good CD player based system and that Ģ4500 is at lot of money for the added convenience of the HDX, I expect most will look towards other more cost effective pc based solutions.

I for one was very plesantly suprised when I auditioned pc played wav files via Beresford into NAC 282 / Hi-cap / NAP 250.2 & Allaes. So I will contine down this route for convenience and for "special" listening (a'la 555) I will use the CDX2/XPS2.

I do feel the majority of folks will fall into a similar category to me, so that is why I would be delighted if Naim addressed this area of the market.

Let the music live.
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by Steve S1
quote:
However I think its fair to say that most of us have a very good CD player based system and that Ģ4500 is at lot of money for the added convenience of the HDX, I expect most will look towards other more cost effective pc based solutions.

For me, that nails the issue.

The CD replay has to comfortably exceed CDX levels of performance, or it has to be the last word in music file replay to justify that sort of cost.

Flexibility is already out there in buckets, it's quality that will make or break.

Steve
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by glevethan
EmCee & Steve

quote:
___________________________________________________________________________________________

For me, that nails the issue
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Me Three
Posted on: 03 May 2008 by 555
Different strokes ...

Background music can be enjoyed for free in most retail outlets,
lifts, etc, although the choice of music may be an issue.