What wine are you drinking today ?

Posted by: TOBYJUG on 19 June 2016

Was most disgruntled to find that one of the best threads has CLOSED, so if no one minds I'll start it again.

£8.00 from Marks and Sparks. Very good Rose.

Posted on: 30 March 2017 by Christopher_M

You won't get that from me.

I also like your advice, Rod, even though I'm not in a position to take advantage of it. What's life without a little aspiration?!

C.

Posted on: 30 March 2017 by SongStream

Château Guiot product photo

....and all of it at this rate.

Posted on: 30 March 2017 by Timmo1341

Whilst personally satisfied with wines costing max. £20 when bought in France, I too have absolutely no problem with those of us who choose to spend more on whatever they enjoy. What I can't abide are those who criticise or level negative comments at others who spend their cash on things they don't themselves value. 

Posted on: 01 April 2017 by kevin J Carden

This is a fine Bordeaux. A good bit better than an average Claret without being silly priced. £11.99 from Majestic. Well pitched at that price for decent value I'd say.

Posted on: 02 April 2017 by Richard Dane

Santa Rita Medalla Real Carmenere 2011.  

A favourite everyday drinking red - the quality and consistency here is excellent and the value for money is undeniable.  I've Just opened up my last half case of this and I'll definitely be buying more.

Posted on: 02 April 2017 by Christopher_M

Not at breakfast time, surely Richard?!

Chris

Posted on: 02 April 2017 by Richard Dane

Ha, Chris.  No, this was from last night. 

Posted on: 07 April 2017 by Eoink

Having gone  for lamb in red wine and rosemary for dinner tonight, a nice claret to pair. Lovely cru bourgeois from a fine vintage, in a sweet spot now with a couple of hours of decanting.

Posted on: 10 April 2017 by rodwsmith

Along with about 300 other 2016 Bordeaux wines last week.

Beer (and toothpaste) this week I think.

Posted on: 16 April 2017 by TOBYJUG

For the last couple of years this has been a guilty pleasure everyday type of wine, under £5 job. A bit rough around the edges but still perfectly drinkable.

The latest 2016 vintage although is sadly not. I took back an opened bottle telling dear Tesco guy that it's turned. Gave me another that's just as vile. Blurghhh. Best avoided.

Posted on: 22 April 2017 by Eoink

Lovely wine, Musar's the the only Lebanese wine I've bought to keep. Cork came out whole, poured cleanly with less than 5mm of sediment in the bottle, great for a wine with just short of a quarter century in bottle. Fantastic wine, sweet red and blue fruits, spicy notes, leather, great acidity, seems light flavoured, but actually fills the palate totally, every mouthful is different, all lovely. I have 2 left of this vintage and 2 of the '91, bought back in the '90s.

Posted on: 22 April 2017 by NFG
rodwsmith posted:

Along with about 300 other 2016 Bordeaux wines last week.

Beer (and toothpaste) this week I think.

Nothing like 'Portes Ouvertes' The Pavillion Rouge is an excellent wine, I paticually like a touch of Petit Verdot.

Posted on: 22 April 2017 by NFG

Sadly our last bottle of 2005 Chateau Pierrail, hopefully a visit to see Alice Demonchaux in the not too distant future.

Posted on: 22 April 2017 by Christopher_M
Eoink posted:

Lovely wine, Musar's the the only Lebanese wine I've bought to keep. Cork came out whole, poured cleanly with less than 5mm of sediment in the bottle, great for a wine with just short of a quarter century in bottle. Fantastic wine, sweet red and blue fruits, spicy notes, leather, great acidity, seems light flavoured, but actually fills the palate totally, every mouthful is different, all lovely. I have 2 left of this vintage and 2 of the '91, bought back in the '90s.

Thanks Eoin, seems my 2004 may be good for another ten.

Is it odd to think that the 2014 is on sale now at around £20 and could be drunk tonight?

Best, C.

Musar has fascinated me for years. Hochar used to hold it back for about 5 years, it would then drink well. Then it would become closed down for a while, and need hours in decanter. My experience of Musar is that at about 15-20 years it would hit a weird youthful maturity where it suddenly became amazingly attractive, but yet complex, and variable between glasses and over hours, and still be great 24 hours later. 

I've only drunk younger (2000s) vintages in restaurants, so not with decant time, so can't say for sure what's happened since Gaston took over from Serge in the early 2000s. The 2002-2005 wines I have tried behaved like I would have expected for the decade older wines, do I'd have great hopes for 2004 if kept in good temperatures.

I noticed that an earlier poster was an MW, so if he spots this, he will have a very informed view. 

Posted on: 22 April 2017 by Dave J
Christopher_M posted:
Eoink posted:

Thanks Eoin, seems my 2004 may be good for another ten.

Is it odd to think that the 2014 is on sale now at around £20 and could be drunk tonight?

Best, C.

Coincidentally, I enjoyed 1979 and 1999 vintages last night. Two very different wines.

How was the 1999? I would like a case to fill e gap after the early '90s vintages.

Posted on: 22 April 2017 by Erich

I forgot I had this one stored in the cellar and I was pleasantly surprised. I usually don't buy bleds of so many strains. It had to be a gift. ( Cabernet sauvignon + carmenere + sirah + cab franc).

Posted on: 22 April 2017 by rodwsmith

If anyone is interested, I have published my report on the 2016 Bordeaux Primeurs - and I believe, subject to not-too-ridiculous price increases, that some of them will constitute a good investment. It really is a spectacular vintage, and far more classic and refined than the (to me over-)exuberant 2015s, and the equal of anything since 2005, and possibly before.

You can get the free report by visiting rivierawineacademy.

Hope that doesn't interfere with anything Richard. No commercial gain for me, just interest for others.

Posted on: 22 April 2017 by Christopher_M

Hello Rod, If you're reading this, I'd like to know of your Ch Musar opinions please. Especially the idea that a youngish bottle can be bought today at a UK supermarkets for £24 (a lot of money for a bottle of wine for me) and drunk tonight. It seems a recipe for disappointment.....

Chris

Posted on: 24 April 2017 by rodwsmith

I think the style of Musar has changed since Gaston took over, and it is more approachable in youth. It remains a wine that benefits from as much age as any, but what an individual likes maybe any point along that development.

If buying a young vintage for drinking now, I would certainly open and decant it many hours in advance (even the day before).

£24 seems quite good value for such history and pedigree in a bottle to me. It can only go up in price!

Cheers

Rod

PS I understand why my link in the post above was removed (sorry!) but for ease of direction, the relevant page is on the 'blog' part of my site, if you are interested 

Posted on: 25 April 2017 by Dustysox
Richard Dane posted:

A favourite everyday drinking red - the quality and consistency here is excellent and the value for money is undeniable.  I've Just opened up my last half case of this and I'll definitely be buying more.

Hi Richard,

I've ordered some of this which has just turned up....no pressure..hope its nice!!!!

Posted on: 25 April 2017 by Ardbeg10y
Dustysox posted:
Richard Dane posted:

Hi Richard,

I've ordered some of this which has just turned up....no pressure..hope its nice!!!!

I know this one. It is beefy as the SuperNait 1. I had it last year with Christmas to join Pork & Sauerkraut (have German family) and it combined magically well.

Sweet, round, strong and self-aware.

Posted on: 25 April 2017 by Dustysox
Ardbeg10y posted:
Dustysox posted:
Richard Dane posted:

Hi Richard,

I know this one. It is beefy as the SuperNait 1. I had it last year with Christmas to join Pork & Sauerkraut (have German family) and it combined magically well.

Sweet, round, strong and self-aware.

I see it has had a GR (Gran Reserva) upgrade...sorry couldn't resist!!!

I will hopefully get to enjoy this fine bottle of wine over the coming weekend.

Posted on: 25 April 2017 by Richard Dane

Dustysox, Did you manage to get some of the 2011 vintage?  I looked last week but sadly couldn't find any more.  I don't what the currently available vintages taste like but will try as soon as I can.