Cover versions better than the original.

Posted by: dave marshall on 02 August 2018

I was listening to Fink do "All Cried Out" last night, thinking that I preferred it to Alison Moyet's outstanding original from the '80's.

Fink - Biscuits For Breakfast.                                                              Alison Moyet - "Alf"

Pondering whether there were other examples in my library, I also concluded that Cyndi Lauper's "True Colours" and  "Time After Time"  had been covered beautifully by Eva Cassidy.

Eva Cassidy - Simply Eva.                                                                    Cyndi Lauper - True Colours - The Best Of.

Obviously, this is all a matter of personal taste, but any suggestions for cover versions which you feel add to, and probably surpass the original? 

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Happy Listener

My favourite version of this;

I also think her versions (more interpretations) of S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water and Sting's Fields of Gold are so much better than the originals.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Happy Listener

There's something about this which attracts my ears far more than the Beatles' original version.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Clive B

For some reason my iPad is unable to load the first page of this thread, so I apologise if any of these have been mentioned before, but I'd suggest:

Jimi Hendrix' version of All Along the Watchtower beats the pants off Bob Dylan's original version. In fact, i understand that after hearing the Hendrix version Dylan started performing it likewise.

Another one I'd say would be Hendrix' version of Johnny B. Goode, which injects pace and energy into this song which it benefitted from immeasurably. Even Marty McFly imitated that version in Back to the Future.

And what about Joe Cocker's version of With a Little Help From My Friends?

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by TK421

Dua Lipa - Live Acoustic EP...... available on Tidal

There are some great covers:-

Golden Slumbers - (The Beatles)

Tears Dry On Their Own - (Amy Winehouse)

I'd Rather Go Blind - (Etta James)

They are all worth a listen.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Monster

Hoyt Axton - Never Been to Spain - this was bettered by Three Dog Night.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by joerand

I Need A Lover. Johnny Cougar's original or Pat Benetar's cover? I first knew Benetar's pop-oriented version from radio back in the day and always enjoyed it. The song helped launch her career. Decades later I heard Mellencamp's original, a more developed and substantial recording. Happily, the success of Benetar's cover helped launch John's career.

Posted on: 07 August 2018 by Stevee_S

Back in the day I preferred  Cyndi's version to Roy Orbison's original. 

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by joerand
Stevee_S posted:

Back in the day I preferred  Cyndi's version to Roy Orbison's original. 

Same could be said for Ronstadt's "Blue Bayou". Maybe Roy wrote songs more tenable to female voices? Partisans of Van Halen's "Pretty Woman" cover may disagree.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by blythe

"The Sound Of Silence" by Disturbed. Floats my boat far more than the original S&G version.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by u77033103172058601
blythe posted:

"The Sound Of Silence" by Disturbed. Floats my boat far more than the original S&G version.

You certainly converted me to that version, even if the original is pretty good.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by joerand
blythe posted:

I love the original for the tempo, guitar and beauty of S&G's harmonies, but also enjoy Disturbed's deeper, blacker, and more powerful solo vocal approach . The lyrics are poetically dark and isolating (ala "Eleanor Rigby"). Seems appropriate for a grunge or metal band to cover such tracks.

Posted on: 10 August 2018 by nickpeacock
Chunky posted:

The Czars version of Tim Buckley's Song to the Siren.

Good one, although Elizabeth Faser's version - technically This mortal Coil - is sublime and unsurpassable.

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Monster

Humble Pie - I don't Need No Doctor - John Scofield and John Mayer

Posted on: 11 August 2018 by Monster

Bob Dylan - The Ballad of Hollis brown - Stephen Stills

Bruce Springsteen - Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by dave marshall

Rag 'n' Bone Man - Die Easy.

Not really a cover as such, more a version of a traditional blues chant already done by Zep and many others, but what  a version. 

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by Chunky
nickpeacock posted:
Chunky posted:

Good one, although Elizabeth Faser's version - technically This mortal Coil - is sublime and unsurpassable.

I love John Grant's haunting vocal on the Czar's version, but although I am a fan of Elizabeth Fraser's  work with the Cocteau Twins, I've not heard This Mortal Coil's cover of this.  I must seek it out.

Monster posted:

Bob Dylan - The Ballad of Hollis brown - Stephen Stills

Bruce Springsteen - Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann

Oh yes! Manfred Mann's cover is great.

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by Peder
dave marshall posted:

Rag 'n' Bone Man - Die Easy.

Not really a cover as such, more a version of a traditional blues chant already done by Zep and many others, but what  a version. 

???? DAVE MARSHALL,...I love Rag'n'Bone Man,he has a fantastic voice.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by Lanesra
Chunky posted:
nickpeacock posted:
Chunky posted:

I love John Grant's haunting vocal on the Czar's version, but although I am a fan of Elizabeth Fraser's  work with the Cocteau Twins, I've not heard This Mortal Coil's cover of this.  I must seek it out.

Chunky,

Here's This Mortal Coil's version. It's beautiful

Also, check out This Mortal Coil's version of Another Day by Roy Harper

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by hungryhalibut

The first TMC album, It’ll end in tears, is wonderful from start to finish.  

Thanks very much Lanesra.  I agree, This Mortal Coil's version is very good.  Elizabeth Fraser has such a distinctive voice.  I like the Roy Harper song too - I'd never heard this song before.

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by TOBYJUG

Under the Boardwalk.   Bruce Willis.

Posted on: 12 August 2018 by Ebor

I doubt either of these is going to meet with much agreement, but:

Always on my mind: The Pet Shop Boys’ 80s disco stomper version knocks The King’s maudlin original into a cocked hat.

California Dreamin’: The Beach Boys’ slick 80s version walks all over The Mamas & the Papas’ rather weird original that sounds more like an early rehearsal rather than a final take. In particular, the former’s sax solo is worth at least a dozen of the latter’s flute solo.

Ready to be disagreed with,

Mark

hungryhalibut posted:

The first TMC album, It’ll end in tears, is wonderful from start to finish.  

I must check this out.  Thanks for the recommendation.

I love the version of Steve Earle's Goodbye by Emmylou Harris on her Wrecking Ball album.  Steve's version is quite raw, whereas Emmylou's has a lovely haunting quality and for me just has the edge.