Albums which blew you away on first play.

Posted by: dave marshall on 16 August 2018

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced.

I've just mentioned this album over on the "University" topic, and I can still remember bringing it home from the record shop and  

being absolutely gobsmacked, hearing it for the first time.

I'd never heard anything remotely like it before, and to say that the first listening was jaw dropping would be an understatement

indeed.

So, what album had a similar effect on you, the memory of which has stayed with you till this day?

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Bob the Builder
sjt posted:
Clive B posted:

So a few people have mentioned it, but I think it deserves a picture.

Generally I find that albums which 'blow me away' on first listen don't stand the test of time. For me it's most often those which take several plays before they start to make sense that have the enduring appeal. Close to the Edge by Yes was one such album. On first play it was just so alien that I was most upset that I'd wasted my pocket money. But I couldn't afford to buy many records, which in money terms weren't any different to today's ticket prices, but in real terms were ridiculously expensive. Hence, I had to live with it and play it. Eventually after a half-dozen or more plays I had that "OMG this is brilliant!" epiphany.

Conversely, and a record which disproves that theory is this one, the Who's Quadrophenia.  The sound of the sea on the beach, the four themes and then Daltrey opening with "Can ya see the real me, can ya? Can ya?" Then the power chords, the crashing drums of Keith Moon and I was instantly hooked. And have been ever since. One of the finest rock albums ever. Ever. 

Of course I agree with the record in question! I think this post also makes a very good point - about the albums that have stood the test of time OR NOT! I don't want to hijack the thread, but it might be interesting if posts were to mention if the record has stood the test of time for them as well as the initial impact. It might be fun to see the ones that did make it and ones that didn't.

Here is one from me: U2 - The Joshua Tree - when I got it in 1987 I thought it was great. It went quickly off and I can't stand U2 any more!

Totally agree about Quadrophenia strangely Tommy doesn't do it for me but Pete Townsend hit a creative high with Quadrophenia and Who's Next that he never reached again there where moments on The Who by Numbers and the title track to Who Are You but there after it was all down hill unfortunately.

Posted on: 21 August 2018 by Timjoebill

Fever Ray's debut. Wow! 220px-Feverray

Posted on: 22 August 2018 by Iver van de Zand

I definitely must be Eva Cassidy's Live at Blues Alley for me. Every time I hear this album I am impressed and shocked by the quality of her voice, her timbre and her reach. Wonderful music.

ec

Posted on: 22 August 2018 by DrMark

I second Iver's suggestion, and will also add Lissie's "Catching a Tiger" album - so many good cuts on one disc.

Posted on: 22 August 2018 by JedT
Chunky posted:

R.E.M. - Document.  This was the first R.E.M LP I bought, not long after it came out. I hadn't heard anything by them at this point and bought it on the strength of a good review.  I couldn't believe how good this LP was.

me too - had only heard "It's the end of the world as I know it" as a single. 

Bought all their back catalogue shortly after.

Saw them in 88 on the "Green" tour at Manchester Apollo. Still the best gig I have ever been to. An evening of shivers down the spine. Stipe was brilliant - some beautiful solo intros. Underestimated singer I think.

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by blythe

Wonderful Life - by Black. Perfect all the way through.

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by Chunky
JedT posted:
Chunky posted:

R.E.M. - Document.  This was the first R.E.M LP I bought, not long after it came out. I hadn't heard anything by them at this point and bought it on the strength of a good review.  I couldn't believe how good this LP was.

me too - had only heard "It's the end of the world as I know it" as a single. 

Bought all their back catalogue shortly after.

Saw them in 88 on the "Green" tour at Manchester Apollo. Still the best gig I have ever been to. An evening of shivers down the spine. Stipe was brilliant - some beautiful solo intros. Underestimated singer I think.

Crikey!  I was also at that concert at the Apollo!  As you say, it was brilliant.  Similarly, I bought all their back catalogue after getting Document.  

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by ewemon

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by mfan

Great thread - and plenty of ideas to look into.  Both albums below opened doors to a whole magical world of new (to me) genres of music.  The thrill of discovery is still, after 40 odd years of musical obsession, a source of great pleasure.

The Orb - Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld :  I'd heard Little Fluffy Clouds on Peel so bought the album.   Blimey - I was utterly mesmerised for 2 hours.  And then another two. It genuinely felt like being transported into another rather relaxed dimension.

Flexistentialism - Ninja Tunes Compilation:  This was playing in an otherwise empty Our Price at Hatfield Galleria.  After 20 mins of browsing I asked the staff what was playing and bought the CD.  What was this stiff - hip hop / trip hop / breakbeat / jazz?  No idea - but I loved it.  This was the first time I started buying into a record label rather than a specific artist, and it led to so many fantastic new avenues, Amon Tobin, Coldcut, DJ Shadow, plus some fantastic nights at The Blue Note and the 333 Club.  A big thank you to the staff at Our Price Hatfield!

Posted on: 23 August 2018 by dknk
Mike-B posted:

Not so much an album that blew me away - although its a damn good album anyway - it was one track. 

Alvin Lee's "Nineteen Ninety-Four"   track 5 " The Bluest Blues"

I've been an Alvin Lee fan from his days with Ten Years After,  he's an outstanding guitarist, pure & simple.   Anyhow,  getting back to the album & track 5 ........   it's a beautiful guitar duet with George Harrison, George plays slide,  the track is rated as "the most perfect blues song ever written"  .........  can't disagree with that - & then some.  Another amazing track is John Lennon's "I Want You" (She's So Heavy),  again with GH.    The rest of the album is all good with some of Alvin's classic standards & for me one album I would never be without.   

I originally bought it as a vinyl,  but it got well worn & when I moved to streaming none of the streaming vendors have it & I could only get hold of an MP3 copy. So I looked around for a CD to rip & found it on Amaz.com (USA).   In USA the original album is published under a different title as "I Hear You Rockin' ".   I just looked around the www again & see it with some totally madness prices,  £150 !!!  you cannot be serious !!!!.   

I bought it as a 2015 remastered release on the Rainman label,  the latest price on The Big River (USA) is $13.95.   

The whole album is a classic & is a must have if for all Alvin Lee fans & any electric blues guitar enthusiasts.   

This is good stuff, thanks for the suggestion.  On Tidal it's titled - Keep on Rockin'.

Posted on: 25 August 2018 by dave marshall

Fink - Perfect Darkness.

Proving that musical revelations aren't restricted to memories from my youth, this initial exposure to the choons of Mr. Greenall 

was all it took to capture me, and have me subsequently embark upon a most rewarding musical journey.

Posted on: 25 August 2018 by al9315

Blew me away on 1st play - still does - superb !!!

Posted on: 25 August 2018 by VladtheImpala

There are a lot of albums which have blown me away on first listen, but this one is the one that started it all for me.

"With The Beatles" is the first album I can remember listening to the whole way though, at age 5 and 1/2.

I seem to remember it was one of my Aunts' first purchases from her first job on the day it was released. She played it for me - I was stunned and asked for it to be played again and again on my Grandparents ancient radiogramme whenever we visited, reading the sleeve notes avidly and trying to sing along. 

I must have had some interest in pop music before then, and I must have listened to other relatives records, but I don't recall them - this ignited my love of pop music. The tunes, the vocal harmonies, the energy in the performance - it is brilliant and I still play it every so often, though sadly not from the original vinyl LP.

I believe they went on to have a decent career...…...

Posted on: 25 August 2018 by Proterra

The Story. RUNRIG

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by dave marshall

The Rolling Stones - 1st. album.

Pre-dating Hendrix and Cream in my musical journey, I managed to wear out my original copy on the trusty Dansette.

Part of the birth of the British Blues Explosion, this was on constant play, back in the day.

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by Raider

I first heard this on the day of release played by my teacher. At the time I was 13 years old, the teacher I remember came into the class room with a record player and this album under his arm. He gave the whole class the same book to read and said he wanted everybody to read the book and be quiet for about 45 minutes. I never read the book I was just blown away by the music.

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by wanderer

With the Beatles was released the same day President Kennedy was assassinated. I had bought three copies that lunchtime, one for me and two on behalf of friends. I also bought a Duane Eddy lp the same day. The news of JFK came in TV sometime after 7 oclock just as I was about to go for a. Friday night out, which I did, but everyone was in shick.

With the Beatles cover is so iconic, and every time I see it it reminds me of the shock of those events and the feeling that one of the inspirations of many of our generation had been cruelly taken from us.

It was possibly the most memorable event of my life - on two counts!

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by Alan Willby
Innocent Bystander posted:

Script for a Jester’s Tear has already been mentioned (as have gigs by them - and I saw many between ‘82 and Fish’s departure, so some of us likely at same gigs!). It did make an impression when I first played it, but maybe not quite blowing me away at first listen as much as these (though it rapidly grew on me and is still a firm favourite):

Led Zeppelin II - opening with Whole Lotta Love my intro to the band, and to heavy rock, 1969 IIRC. Brilliant.

Deep Purple in Rock. I was familiar with and liked the band through their first incarnation, bought this and was completely blown away: From the intro/Hard Lovin’ Man to the stunning Child in Time, this was a stunning album.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath. Another 1970 album, with heavy rock taking the world by storm that year! I already knew and loved the title track, but this widened the experience, from Fairies Wear Boots to War Pigs - wonderful!

Dark Side of the Moon. (Pink Floyd) - a bit of a change from the previous Floyd albums, more mesmerising... no, their earlier albums did mesmerising, maybe this was just more upfront, while akso being more cohesive as an album, from Breathe right through to the closing Brain Damage and Eclipse

In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson - another wow album, launching with 21st Century Schizoid Man, Then through the contrasting quieter tracks like and to the powerful Court song itself.

Tommy - The Who. Into a musical journey that engulfed for an hour and a half 

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis. I liked their earlier albums, but this was something different. More engrossing, and very good sound quality to boot.

Ooooh, I could go on! And all of these still get played today,...

Replace Tommy with Aqualung and your list is my list - add Hot Rats as well for good measure!

Posted on: 04 September 2018 by spurrier sucks
rjstaines posted:

Gosh, I hadn't realised I was joined by so many (ex?) trippers on this forum  (say that slowly).

Ex? Not sure about that. Lol

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by MDS
Raider posted:

I first heard this on the day of release played by my teacher. At the time I was 13 years old, the teacher I remember came into the class room with a record player and this album under his arm. He gave the whole class the same book to read and said he wanted everybody to read the book and be quiet for about 45 minutes. I never read the book I was just blown away by the music.

What a great teacher you had, Raider.

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by Christopher_M
Raider posted:

Nice one Raider.

You reminded me of a physiology lecture in my second year of university where the lecturer introduced his subject of the heart, with the first thirty seconds of Breathe on a Dansette, at 9am on a Tuesday morning. Naturally we all thought this the height of cool.

Talking of the heart, he allegedly ran off with my advisor of studies' wife. But I digress.

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Nice one Christoper. When I was at High School, it was The Wall and drama teacher was dating the 7th form girls.....

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by Claus

Muddy Waters: Folk Singer.

Great music. And SQ is not bad either...

Claus

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by rjstaines
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

Tell me about your childhood, Roger 

I worked in both the fashion and the music industries... one develops a fairly broad mind, what with things coming out all over the place... in both industries  

Posted on: 05 September 2018 by Mike Sullivan

Rediscovering my collection, always a good sign from an upgrade. Remembered this beauty, pretty epic mix of hard rock and melody with huge rhythm and tempo changes.