ND5XS2

Posted by: Gazza on 13 October 2018

For those that have been waiting my dealer has his demo unit, and has had it running for a few days, says it’s pretty damn good.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by cdboy

I wonder why two Naim dealers are using Chord Co speaker cable? And also Chord interconnect in one case. Most odd.

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by feeling_zen

I'm immensely curios as to why an external PSU upgrade option was removed from the ND5xs2. It seems like such a great device would have added appeal if users knew they could add a PSU or a Naim DAC. One is not possible and the other is no longer current so clearly not intended. 

Are PSUs being repositioned as Classic series only items now?

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Gazza

It’s an obvious question. If it was asked when the forum visited HQ then I do not remember the answer, perhaps one of the other guys remembers, like SiS?

Posted on: 04 December 2018 by Mike-B

My recall of the forum visit was that  the ND5xs2 PSU question was not raised,  but I did get the impression from the description of product hierarchy that it was intended to be partnered with Nait amps.   (my own assumption is)  it’s designed to keep the price at a level commensurate with that range where PSU’s are not so popular / de rigueur & hence no display & PSU burndy plug

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by BLACKMASS
cdboy posted:

I wonder why two Naim dealers are using Chord Co speaker cable? And also Chord interconnect in one case. Most odd.

Two reasons for using the The Chord Co interconnect. My dealer didn’t have a DIN to RCA interconnect when using the Exposure amp. Second, the Shawline interconnect was chosen to match the Shawline speaker cable. I was given the choice BTW.

Going back to the Nait 5si using the Shawline instead of the Naim DIN interconnect there was a lot more detail coming through. It didn’t change the overall character of the amp but the increase in detail was very noticeable. I’ll be trying a few leads once I have the system at home.

The Shawline speaker cable was used for a couple of reasons. I currently use Chord Signature (not the latest version).

It’s doubtful I’ll be using NACA5 as I only need 1.5m lengths. From what I’ve read it’s recommended to use it in 3.5m lengths and over? Not sure if this only applies when using Naim amps?  My dealer has it available for home demo so I haven’t ruled it out.  

To confuse matters further I’m hoping to home demo a pair of Russell K 50 speakers next year. I heard them briefly earlier this year using the Nova and Well Tempered Versalex and I was very impressed. So I won’t be changing my speaker cable for the time being.   

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Matteo
BLACKMASS posted:
It’s doubtful I’ll be using NACA5 as I only need 1.5m lengths. From what I’ve read it’s recommended to use it in 3.5m lengths and over? Not sure if this only applies when using Naim amps?  My dealer has it available for home demo so I haven’t ruled it out.  

When I had (ten years ago) my Exposure 2010s, the dealer strongly suggested to use a 3.5 mt pair of speaker cables (Nac a5 or similar, like Linn K20), because Expo amps appears to be similar to Naim.

M.

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by BLACKMASS
Matteo posted:
BLACKMASS posted:

When I had (ten years ago) my Exposure 2010s, the dealer strongly suggested to use a 3.5 mt pair of speaker cables (Nac a5 or similar, like Linn K20), because Expo amps appears to be similar to Naim.

M.

I'll speak to my dealer about this, thank you.

Cheers

Rob

Posted on: 05 December 2018 by Matteo
BLACKMASS posted:
Matteo posted:

M.

Cheers

Rob

Good idea

Linn K20 are way cheaper

Lovely amp the 2010

M.

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by e24djenggos

Have anyone make comparison with ndx1?

Posted on: 06 December 2018 by jlarsson
BLACKMASS posted:
Matteo posted:
BLACKMASS posted:

M.

Cheers

Rob

At least the old Naim amps were constructed so the cable was part of the circuit to get better control of the speakers. That is where the 3.5m NACA5 requirement comes from. So you should use speaker cable withe same electrical signature  (resistance/capacitance/inductance) as NACA5 with a certtain minum length. I dont know if this still holds on newer Naim amps.

Ifind it strange that so few amp manufacturers publish the optimum load they calculated the amps with. 

Posted on: 07 December 2018 by Yorick
Andib posted:

Bought my ND5xs2 last Saturday and I am very impressed. On top of the second fraim shelf with 252/300 it sounds great! Don‘t you scream please but I just stream apple music via AirPlay with my iPhone and for that it‘s a fantastic machine. Makes a lot of fun. And optical it looks great without an display on the top of the classic boxes. 

It is a great machine indeed. I come from an xs, and the possibillity to stream everything to it is delicious. Apple music, even though its sound quality is less than TIDAL, is much beter suited to my tastes, and i like its UI infinitely better. I will keep both for the time being. Also the fact that I can stream my radio apps, like soundcloud, KCRW Berlin and the fip app, straight to the XS2 Is great. I know you could also play them via the buggy naim app. But you lack a lot of info then. 

The one thing I have noticed, and this surprises me is that the Bluetooth function has been improved enormeously. Pairing and connecting is a breeze and the audio quality is better through Bluetooth. But music sounds better when I stream through Bluetooth than through AirPlay. Crisper more nuanced. Anyone knows why?

it took quite some time for the xs2 started to sound better than my Xs. I’m in week two now and the machine is getting better all the time. But now. When I switch the Xs with the xs2 I really hear how much better the latter is, which wasn’t the case in the beginning. 

But im a happy camper. The soundstage is much wider, the bass is returning, vocals find its place and become clearer. The XS2 really feels like a solid upgrade now. 

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Matteo

Just ordered a new ND5 XS 2.

I'll wait until January, 15th to receive it.

M.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by BLACKMASS
Matteo posted:

M.

I ordered mine last week and I've been given the same date. Something to look forward to in the New Year.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Matteo

Copy and paste from another thread:

If I use a non Naim phono stage as another source with my 152/155/FC XS, has the ND5XS 2 to be set on floating?

Never received an answer 

M.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Filipe
Matteo posted:

If I use a non Naim phono stage as another source with my 152/155/FC XS, has the ND5XS 2 to be set on floating?

Never received an answer 

M.

As I understand my system the CDX2 is the earth without a switch. The nDAC has the switch, which in my case is set to float. Don’t know about other source boxes.

Phil

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by james n
Matteo posted:

Never received an answer 

M.

Well that depends on what the phono stage is and if it connects signal ground to mains ground. If you don't know if it does and you don't have a hum issue (which normally occurs with multiple ground paths) then try the ND5 ground switch in both positions and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then leave at chassis.

Posted on: 14 December 2018 by Jeron
BLACKMASS posted:
Matteo posted:

M.

I ordered mine last week and I've been given the same date. Something to look forward to in the New Year.

Nice! For me the waiting is over. Yesterday I received my ND5 XS2. After hooking it up with the also new nait XS 2 and my Phonar speakers, it has to play for a while to get the max performance right? Dealer said at least 2 week... I already heard, after 1 hour playing, a way better performance in the stereo image. Also details got better today. What also was very positive is that bass is very tight and round. Way better the my Music Hallo amp. But that was a whole different price range.

I used the DIN cable provided with the ND5 XS 2. I did not use the powercord included in the box. I use a supra cable from a Supra powerbox instead. 

Everyday the system gets a bit better I read on this forum. Can't wait till I get full Performance. Then I'll save for a speaker upgrade. Heard Spendor d7 already, but there are a lot of speakers within that price range..something I go listening how others perform, i.e. B&W 700, Elac FS serie, Atc, etc.etc...though the Phonar sound also very good, but I know an upgrade there is worth it.

Update: typo's fixed.