Naim Fraim specs

Posted by: RaceTripper on 14 October 2018

Are the Naim Fraim specs for dimensions listed on the website up to date and precise? I am deisgning a two stack system to intregrate with my system and room, and don't want surprises? This what is listed.

Standard level 175 mm
Medium level 250 mm
Tall level 324 mm
Base level 155 mm
(all inc. glass shelf

I may use Fraimlite as a top shelf to finish off each stack, but no components will sit on them (just records and stuff). The height for that is given as:
Standard level 150 mm

My plan for the two stacks (from bottom up):

Left side: total height = 480mm (~19") (the bottom of the turntable wall shelf is ~27)
Base to support HicapDR and NAPSC
Standard level to support NAP-250DR
Standard Fraimlite on top of that.

Right side: total height = 730mm (~29")
Base to support Herron Audio VTPH-2 (it is 4" high incl rubber feet and should have about 1-2" ventilation on a normal shelf)
Medium Level to support ND5-XS (i.e. ~7" to clear the VTPH-2a with plenty of ventilation, about how I have it now).
Standard Level to support NAC -282
Standard Fraimlite on top of that.

There is a chance I may use normal Standard Level Fraim (rather than Lite) for the top two shelves, if I decide to spend the extra $$$. Those would add 25mm (~1") to each stack.

I suppose another possibility is to do just one stack for everything and save money not buying a second base.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by RaceTripper
Bob green posted:

Sounds better,looks better,and easier to keep the dust off the shelves.bob.

Wouldn't it just be better then to get Fraimlite and spare the substantial extra expense of the glass shelves? I bought a two-pack of std Fraimlite shelves for the same price as a single std Fraim shelf.

Posted on: 11 December 2018 by Bart

I dont use the rings, and just line up the glass shelves by sight.  When working with cables, YES more than once I've knocked the glass off the balls, but I've gotten better about it with practice!

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by RaceTripper

Now that I've had my Fraim for a few months I took it all apart today and re-tightened all the spikes/feet etc. Every one of them stood to some extra tightening after having settled in for a few months.

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by Bailyhill

I find that my PSU555 has Naim rubber feet which prevent the unit from sliding around when activating the power switch.  However, my ND555 seems to have hard surfaces for the 4 feet, which slide on the glass when inserting the USB stick in particular.  It also slides if I press the buttons.  Am I missing some rubber feet on the ND555?

Bailyhill

Posted on: 13 January 2019 by MangoMonkey

I've got the glass directly placed on the wood. Kiddo #2 is an accident waiting to happen with the ball bearings.

This evening he tried to the push the Kudos X2s over. he's about the height of the Kudos X2s, but stronger. :-)

I might very well have to pack everything up until he's a bit older. Kiddo #1 was no problem at all. Kiddo #2 is turning out to be a challenge. He's 1.5 years old - so I cannot reason with him.

It' interesting though - most older forum mates who are into 500 series equipment are at an age when they've started losing their hearing. :-)

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by RaceTripper
MangoMonkey posted:

I've got the glass directly placed on the wood. Kiddo #2 is an accident waiting to happen with the ball bearings.

This evening he tried to the push the Kudos X2s over. he's about the height of the Kudos X2s, but stronger. :-)

I might very well have to pack everything up until he's a bit older. Kiddo #1 was no problem at all. Kiddo #2 is turning out to be a challenge. He's 1.5 years old - so I cannot reason with him.

It' interesting though - most older forum mates who are into 500 series equipment are at an age when they've started losing their hearing. :-)

My dog sneezes on everything and wipes her boogers on the expensive wool rug. I just waiting for her to land a loogie on a nice clean record as I play it.