Cisco Catalyst 2960 – which model to buy?

Posted by: MarcusM on 14 November 2018

Hi!

This may be a stupid question since I know very little about switches, but here we go 

Today I use a Netgear GS108 Gigabit switch. I keep reading here on the forum that you may improve SQ if using a Cisco switch instead.

Since they are pretty cheap if bought used I’m thinking of buying one just to try. Just to know if there are better SQ to be had for relatively little money.

The recommendations I read is often for Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-L.

Wouldn’t it be just as good to instead buy a Cisco Catalyst 2960G-8TC-L?

I would guess that these two switches is pretty similar except the model with a “G” in its name is a “Gigabit-switch” and therefore a bit “faster”?

My "setup" looks like this: I connect my incoming “fiber” via a converter (supplied by my Internet supplier) to router, then to my switch and from there to different rooms in the house (via cables in the wall and wall outlets in the different rooms). For my stereo I have an Ethernet-cable from wall outlet to my Melco NAS and from there to my Naim streamer.

I figure that the Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-L would limit the speed but I don’t know.

So, the question: Which Cisco 2960 model would you recommend and why?

I can see models named 2960, 2960C, 2960L, 2960CX, 2960CPD and 2960G but don’t really understand the differences…

I just want an easy to use, with no extra gadgets, switch that may improve SQ in my system…

Thank you!

/Marcus

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by MarcusM
Michael_B. posted:

Thanks, that’s very helpful for me, planning how to get the best out of the ND555 I ordered this week in terms of where it would be best locate the NAS. and switch (and to consider the Cisco.. is it easy to articulate how it sound better?

Hi  Michael!

I would say that the music is more ”real”. Since there is less noise in the signal it’s easier to hear details in the music. More delicate and involving. A little bit like upgrading the cable from source to preamp (from Hi-Line to SuperLumina for example).

/Marcus

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by analogmusic

similar to a Chord Dave or Hugo, I guess if one could test an streamer output into ND555 through it's optical or Coax Inputs, and then compare to the onboard streamer inside the ND555 then I guess one could hear the differences (if any, especially with optical through a quality cable)

I was completely surprised with a friend of mine demonstrated how an Auralic streamer into the Naim Qute sounded very different from the Qute itself (internal streamer)

electrical and RF Noise is a reality whether one likes it or not, as it has little to do with bits being perfect.

In fact now I realise the very best digital sources are actually incorporating amazing level of isolation from electrical and RF noise from both outside, and inside their own boxes and the companies will go to completely perfectionist measures to isolate the DAC and it's clock from any kind of contamination.

I remember reading in one of the stereophile reviews of Naim CD players that Naim engineers said the choice of a DAC chip itself is not very important in the performance of a digital source,  but what the infrastructure around the DAC was far far more important (I.e. power supply regulation and separation, vibration, isolation, etc etc etc)

The reality is that network cables do make a difference to my ears, it's not something I prefer to spend money on, but it makes a difference. 

Although ethernet has galvanic isolation, this does require current and a small wall wart would not be able to supply the amounts of current needed to provide the galvanic isolation needed for hi-end audio performance hence the CISCO switch or indeed other servers like Innuous or Aurender making a LOT more difference than I ever expected.

Posted on: 26 December 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Marcus... the experiences with switches and Ethernet cables are completely different and relate to quite different reasons... a good switch itself will have a good physical design to reduce common mode noise (ie noise passing along the balanced/twisted pairs) , as well having a good stable physical serial data clock which produces minimal intermodulation products into the receiving hosts.

The Ethernet cables affect the connected devices in the most part to the RF stub effect and impedance load of connecting a less than perfect transmission line from the streamer..

Now the new streamers so I understand are designed to reduce the effect of the latter, ie the Ethernet cable stub effect.. but intermodulation products from physical link layer serial clocks (via twisted pair or fibre) of connected devices such as switches will couple, so I’d expect Catalyst switches benefit to be audible albeit perhaps more subtly on thee new streamers.. I would expect Ethernet leads to make minimal impact on the newstreamers...

However a simple test, load the buffer and play.. have someone remove the Ethernet patch lead... can you hear any difference at all....