Good biggun' always beats a good littlun'?

Posted by: steve74 on 18 December 2018

Hi all, so I'm in the process of putting together my first hifi system, which is looking like being an NDX2 with an Supernait 2 or 250 DR. I will obviously be auditioning before I buy but in the meantime my question is concerning speakers, if I'm looking at say some Dynaudio SP40'S or PMC Twenty5.22's, would an equivalently priced floorstander be a better option for a 6m X 4m room or be complete overkill?

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by ynwa250505
Massimo Bertola posted:

Clive,

I'm not sure what exactly an 'Italian perspective is', but I'll take it as a positive thing. Thanks anyway.

Richard,

as per the part in italics, I am sure it hasn't always been so. Some things have been left, some have been removed. But it doesn't matter. You know (or you should know by now) that I know the rules and respect them always unless I violate some unwillingly. My point was not why I have been moderated, but a more general one, about the way some seem to completely despise and ignore the capacity of a large public to understand what they write. Once there was a guy named Adam who took some pain to correct or at least tease the most unreadable posts, but he must be very tired by now – as I suspect you are too. I really wish I could find and include here some posts of the past to corroborate your idea of 'widest comprehension'...   As for the possibility to remove oneself, I didn't know it and I kindly ask you to indicate to me where I can read the procedure to do so. For the rest, I have nothing personal with you at all, and you know it. I am not happy to have done what you see as a 'public grandstand' because I imagine that the expression is not encomiastic. But the faculty to have the last word, and use it sharply, is irresistible and I acknowledge this to you easily, and with no bad feelings at all.

YNWA250505 (It's strange to address someone who is apparently named after a Panasonic stereo from the late 60s),

I don't know if I am happy to be associated with Calabria, but again I'll do my best to take it as a gentle word.

Best to all,

M.

I know what you mean about Calabria (well, I think I do).

My name is a concatenation of the abbreviation used to reference a well known footballing anthem and the date of the greatest football match ever (imho).

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan

The rule is “may be moderated”, not will be. Massimmo  is a regular and positive poster, I’d hope for a bit more flexibility.

Posted on: 04 January 2019 by 911gt3r

Don’t worry Massimo, I think I was moderated too- just chipped in how to make the fuse. ???? All the best Peter ( eloquent answer btw)

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by steve74

Ok, so after my first taste of floorstanders speakers I have now spoken to Criterion Audio in Cambridge and they are going to setup a shoot-out between;

PROAC DT8/D20R

SPENDOR A4/7

FOCAL ARIA 936

PMC 25.23

ATC SCM40

I know this is all very subjective but it would be interesting to hear who thinks what speaker will win!

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by TOBYJUG

Some great choices.   I'm putting odds on the PROAC D20R.

Good Luck.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by leni v

A7.

TOBYJUG posted:

Some great choices.   I'm putting odds on the PROAC D20R.

Good Luck.

Yeah they were a late entrant as I read on another thread that PROAC were a good match with Naim gear so might as well cast my net wide rather than regret not giving them a listen after I've done me dough!  

Just a thought, as I'm new to this procedure. Not meaning to sound stupid but in a test such as this are there steps to follow like say choose  two songs you know well and play them on each speaker in turn so you can listen for any differences at certain points in the song?

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by TOBYJUG
steve74 posted:

Just a thought, as I'm new to this procedure. Not meaning to sound stupid but in a test such as this are there steps to follow like say choose  two songs you know well and play them on each speaker in turn so you can listen for any differences at certain points in the song?

Put a few on that you don't know, a few you do, and a few that you know are a favourite. Best to ask for a few cups of coffee and take your time.

Posted on: 06 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

Make sure you cover the range of musical styles you like, and both better and worse recording qualities can be useful if your collection has both. I make sure I play something with deep bass, something with punchy drums, something with crystal clear female voice, solo piano, complex orchestra, simple string quartet, heavy rock.

The suggestion of something you don't know is good because it may reduce the risk of being drawn in (my achilles heal when auditioning), but only any good if it does sound good...

Posted on: 10 January 2019 by steve74
spurrier sucks posted:

I’m betting S40 is on par with 25.23.  At least I thought my Contour 20 were with the 25.23 I heard. Dyn make great speakers and the S40 is supposed to be a great value. 

I must say I do love the look of your Contour 20's (especially in the walnut finish!) I haven't heard them yet but am going for a side by side comparison with the SP40's although now I've actually heard some floorstanders I'm not sure smaller cabinets can match the fuller soundstage I experienced with the KEF R3's. ????

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by steve74

Ok so I had better bring this thread to an end with this update, Saturday my local dealer put together a side by side audition of the NDX2/ SUPERNAIT2 and the NAD MASTERS SERIES M12/M22and to my ear and musical taste the outright winner was..........the NAD system!

So, before I'm chased out with pitchforks and burning torches I should say that my NAIM journey will end here before it even started really!  The speakers were KEF R7's B&W 702 S2's and FOCAL ARIA 926's, the KEFS were my faves but I still have some others to hear before making my final decision. Thanks for all the advice chaps!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by feeling_zen

Nothing to worry about [@mention:78019130829385003] . If there was a definite answer then everyone would be buying the exact same products at a given price point. Clearly they are not doing this so therefore there is no definitive answer.

I think NAD is perfectly respectable. It is one of my favourite brands. Unfortunately not available in my country otherwise I would probably have some in other systems.

Besides, one person's sublime is another person's sub-par and vice versa. I don't think anyone can tell another person they are wrong for what they like.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by ChrisSU

No need to apologise, Steve, go with the system that sounds best to you and enjoy it.