What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-interested-vol-xiv

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by seakayaker

Now playing........

Ketil Bjørnstad - A Passion For John Donne

Ketil Bjørnstad - A passion for John Donne

Streaming on NAS...........  Simply beautiful and fitting for this misty and cold morning......

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by TK421

Beyonce - Lemonade

We will very soon be getting ready to party the remainder of 2018 away. I will be going as the Mad Hatter and my wife as the Queen of Hearts.

Have I gone mad?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Clive B
Loki posted:
Alba1320 posted:

"Introductions in the Dark" - Andy Sheppard (Record)

Great and skilful saxophonist. I love this album. Shall have to give it a spin now!

I frequently saw Andy Sheppard when he was playing with Sphere in the 80s.  They had a short-term residency, playing each Sunday at the Avon Gorge Hotel in Clifton. Sphere was a quartet featuring Andy on tenor and soprano sax and (I think) Geoff Williams on piano. They were quite avant-garde, almost fusion.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Stevee_S
Slim68 posted:

The Police, Greats Hits.

Nice SQ and a cracking track list, On multi-room so we can both enjoy while tidying/cooking.

A quick anecdote, I went to see them at The American University in Cairo (circa 1980?) at the back end of their world tour. We were told by the band that there were problems getting their kit through customs because it had POLICE plastered all over the aluminium cases! We waited and waited drank more and more beer and 3 hours or so later than advertised they set up on stage, plugged in and without any sound checks just went ahead and gave one 'effing brilliant performance. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by ted_p

Lionel Richie

Back To Front - 24/96

Edward

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Slim68
Stevee_S posted:
Slim68 posted:

The Police, Greats Hits.

Nice SQ and a cracking track list, On multi-room so we can both enjoy while tidying/cooking.

A quick anecdote, I went to see them at The American University in Cairo (circa 1980?) at the back end of their world tour. We were told by the band that there were problems getting their kit through customs because it had POLICE plastered all over the aluminium cases! We waited and waited drank more and more beer and 3 hours or so later than advertised they set up on stage, plugged in and without any sound checks just went ahead and gave one 'effing brilliant performance. 

Great story Steve, sounds like one of those days were it could go badly wrong and turned out brilliantly.

Happy New Year mate. Cheers.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Uk first press vinyl, from 1982. Mega.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Nick Lees
Stevee_S posted:
Slim68 posted:

The Police, Greats Hits.

We saw them in March 1978 at The Rainbow, supporting Alternative TV and Spirit (a somewhat odd combination).  Roxanne had just been released so not that many knew them. They were pretty good, but halfway through Andy Summers starts reading a really wretched poem that resulted in them being heckled and Sting having a go at the crowd.

Once they got back to the songs they were good again. 

Spirit were excellent.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Bert Schurink

Hard to believe that, as Kenny Barron

Kenny Barron
b.1943
piano
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Kenny Barron turns 75, Concentric Circlesis his Blue Note debut, one that is as muscular, fleet, and entertaining as any debut by any man two-thirds his age.

Trust Barron's deeply-versed quintet to swing like a big band plus, and "DPW" leaps out at you with a jumping, bop personality, the flaring horns immediately announcing the dance floor open, and an Afro-Latin fused rhythmic dynamic that's impossible not to move to. Always a passionate player and a writer with a tight, expansive flair, Barron—like Duke or Mingus—is devoted to the expression of each player within the whole. The 11-song disc opens with four Barron compositions that span the full spectrum. The waltzing title track unfolds itself gracefully, with stalwart bassist Kiyoshi Kitagawa" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Kiyoshi Kitagawa and drummer Jonathan Blake" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Jonathan Blake holding the center as Barron leads trumpeter Mike Rodriquez and saxophonist Danya Stephens into mercurial solos and delightful duet flights. Ditto "Blue Waters," the 6/8 lead track on Blue Note's, Jazz Now!, Apple Music, and Spotify's playlists.

The moody, bluesy "A Short Journey" captivates from the start, with Blake's delicate cymbal work and Barron's quiet, expectant runs setting the atmosphere for Stephens and Rodriquez equally triumphant, reflective solos. Ever entranced by the airiness of Brazilian music, the quintet's take on Caetsno Veloso's "Aquele frevo axe" serves to lighten the mood from the rumination of the previous track. That the next Barron original, the fleet-footed "Von Hangman" covers so much ground in under five minutes is yet another testament to Barron's compositional style. Stunningly, the quintet moves effortlessly from the dancing "Von Hangman" to the midnight-blue balladry of "In The Dark," certainly one of the leader's latter-day masterpieces. Lenny White

Lenny White
b.1949
drums
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Lenny White's exuberant "L's Bop" gets a jovial, illuminating treatment, as does Barron's continuing testimony to one of his guideposts, Thelonious Monk
Thelonious Monk
1917 - 1982
piano
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Thelonious Monk, going solo and sumptuous on Monk's ever-brilliant "Reflections."

Oh, if only everyone would debut with this level of heart, artistry and sincerity. Imagine the music we would delight in.
Posted on: 31 December 2018 by naim_nymph

It's almost time out for 2018 but the Dave Brubeck Quartet will be with me for a relaxful night in this evening, and into the new year early morning hours with this fabulous boxset.

Happy New Year everyone! : )

Debs

(1985)

Bad Company - 10 from 6

Fleetwood Mac, Greatest Hits.

Another cracking hits album.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by ewemon

Slim68 posted:
Stevee_S posted:
Slim68 posted:

The Police, Greats Hits.

Great story Steve, sounds like one of those days were it could go badly wrong and turned out brilliantly.

Cheers Simon, Happy New Year. I hope the eyes are OK. 

Stevee_S posted:
Slim68 posted:
Stevee_S posted:
Slim68 posted:

The Police, Greats Hits.

Cheers Simon, Happy New Year. I hope the eyes are OK. 

Could be Better

Ultravox/Midge Ure, Best Of.

Carrying on with the greatest hits/Best of theme.

(2017)

Sunday Night Blues Club. Vol.1

Some absolutely fabulous stuff from Fink. 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Haim Ronen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sjzp6nGw-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...amp;index=2&t=0s

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Tony2011

You've been a great bunch in 2018. Hope to see you all again in 2019.

Happy New Year!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by DrMark

Saw this from someone else here (sorry I do not remember who) and ordered it. It arrived today, and I find it a very nice semi-unplugged version of their work.  Really enjoying it.

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Mike-B

Looks like a few of us are groovin' to some bare bones blues 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Sloop John B

I’m both amazed at how little of I know of Sly and the family Stone and how familiar so many of the tracks here are. I feel a lot of Tidalising and Qobuzzing of the Stone family will a big part of the start of 2019.  have a great one everyone. 

the essential Sly and the family Stone  Qobuz 16/44

.sjb 

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by ALANP
Blackbird - The Beatles Album

Milos - Blackbird -The Beatles Album, first play of a Christmas present.

Happy New Year everyone!

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Kevin-W

Japanese LP from EMI's Rock Super Double series of 1978. This is the best Pink Floyd album. No arguments, OK?

Posted on: 31 December 2018 by Nick Lees

No arguments from me Kev. Definitely their best album....after (in no particular order) Piper, Saucerful, More, Obscured, Meddle AHM, Relics. ????