Evolving the Naim Forum

Posted by: Charlie Henderson on 10 January 2019

Hi everyone,

For the Naim family, conversation and discussion is everything (apart from the music of course!)

We love to encourage the debate and support the sharing of some extraordinary expertise across the Naim Forum, and it is one of the foundations of our world. We all participate in the community in different ways, and to varying degrees, but one thing is for sure, it is fascinating, informative, passionate, and loads of fun.

So, we want to make it even easier to do this, and we’re going to be moving to a new Forum software platform from Tuesday 15th January 2019. Yes, it’ll be a change, but we're not just changing things for the sake of it. It’s a decision that’s not been taken lightly, and is simply intended to make it easier for you all to continue to do what you do best – share your thoughts, frustrations, expertise and aspirations. For example, you’ll be able to access elements of the Forum more easily from more devices, but the fundamentals of the Forum will remain as they are today.

And it goes without saying, you’ll be able to access and search all old and current topics. It may take a couple of weeks as we continue preparing an archive of all existing Forum posts, but we will lose nothing as we make the transition.

One of the great features of the new Forum is the ability to run polls. We intend to use these intensively as a feedback tool to create a more dynamic community, shaped by the feedback you provide, but it also gives all Forum members the opportunity to run their own polls too. Other features include the ability to access the Forum through a mobile app and post images directly, making the Forum a much more visually exciting place too. 

I’m sure some may be concerned by the move but we are doing this to help evolve and continue supporting the Naim Forum as the heart of our community. We look forward to feedback as the team move things across, and please bear with us as we do so, it’s a significant team effort. I’m sensitive to the fact that the change may not suit everyone straight away, but we’re genuinely doing it for the right reasons – to ensure the future of the Naim Forum as the heart of our community.

There is a link to FAQs relating to this HERE.

Thanks,
Charlie, Richard, and the Naim Forum team.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Richard Dane

Date format on this forum is by default in US format, as the host is US based.  However how it displays for you is  determined by a users computer OS and browser settings - so if all set correctly for UK format (and everything - OS and browser - is up to date) then it should display correctly for you.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Huge
Ghettoyout posted:

Hopefully the date format can be corrected. It should be dd/mm/yyyy.

I prefer the more logical canonical date format YYYY/MM/DD!

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by J.N.
ChrisSU posted:
nigelb posted
the Fez is going nowhere!

Sounds like you have the perfect new forum name lined up, Nigel!

"Ain't never gonna do it without the fez on".

John.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Loki

I have just been sent a link to Naim Audio -Community from Naim Admin. Is this it? OR am I being scammed? 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Geoff C

I too hope that the transition goes smoothly from old to new, and we have a better functioning Forum for all.

I am sure there will be plenty of further advice on style and content from it's future users!

Everyone has an email to log in, so why can't a simple email be sent to each current user to re-register on the 15th January under their current user name, and amend or retain their password?

Many systems do this check when passwords etc are forgotten. Perhaps Data Protection needs more information so starting again is required?

NB Loki posted the above as I was typing!

Geoff 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Mike-B
Loki posted:

I have just been sent a link to Naim Audio -Community from Naim Admin. Is this it? OR am I being scammed? 

I have as well Loki,  so we'll both be scammed.    Seriously,  its OK, it's just to set you up on the new forum

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Gazza
Loki posted:

No it’s not a scam, I have logged in kept my old username and had a brief look at new layout. So go ahead, it’s fine to register.

Loki posted:

If you're a Beta tester then you will likely be emailed by Naim Admin today.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Manu

Hope the new forum will not bother us with the time zone changes for us frequent travelers...

Got the invite as well, I posted my first one on the new beta forum and it was the first post after Richard's one... it should increase my Community Rank...

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by The Strat (Fender)

Good luck with the change guys. 

Regards,

Lindsay

Thanks Lindsay.  It's all quite new, so member feedback willl be very important as it develops. 

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Loki
Richard Dane posted:
Loki posted:

If you're a Beta tester then you will likely be emailed by Naim Admin today.

Ah, thanks Richard, that explains it. Happy days

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Don Atkinson

Does this mean the Beta Testers will have a "Head Start" in the new "Rankings" system.....

....if so, this could be FAR more important than re-starting a new "Brexit" thread....

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Suzy Wong

Oh dear, the dreaded “feedback culture”.....I have enough of that bollox at work.......

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Chief Chirpa.
Don Atkinson posted:

Does this mean the Beta Testers will have a "Head Start" in the new "Rankings" system.....

Don, Today, I drove my mum to Berlin (she loves Berghain) and had to endure the music on her iPhone. Consequently, I have posted nothing but Floyd, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Genesis, and Snoop album covers in the new WAYLTNAWGAF.

Thanks to the 165 'Sausages' I have received for these great posts, I have a pretty good lead, and am almost 'Purple'.

Suzy Wong posted:

Oh dear, the dreaded “feedback culture”.....I have enough of that bollox at work.......

Thanks Suzy, I wasn't aware that asking for what members think about something was actually part of some dreaded "bollox" culture.

For all that, I still think it would be good to know what members think of the forum, particularly if it helps make it better. 

If you think it's "bollox" then that's fine, you don't have to say anything, but as a member here, as far I'm concerned your opinion counts as much as anybody elses, so I'd like to know what you think when you get to use the new forum.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Mike Sullivan

I think Suzy is referring to the corporate world “BS bingo”, where employers ask for feedback and then use it to justify what they wanted to do in the first place rather than actually listen to the feedback.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Manu

This bollox is called democracy and see what it brings to the UK, USA and elsewhere  

Mike Sullivan posted:

I think Suzy is referring to the corporate world “BS bingo”, where employers ask for feedback and then use it to justify what they wanted to do in the first place rather than actually listen to the feedback.

Oh come on Mike this is Naim !! not some foreign, corporate, venture capitalist, BS Bingo organisation !!

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Minh Nguyen

To those working on evolving the forum for the continued enjoyment of the community, you have my best wishes. Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly!

Thanks Minh.  Hopefully that will include you too!

Chief Chirpa. posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Don, Today, I drove my mum to Berlin (she loves Berghain) and had to endure the music on her iPhone. Consequently, I have posted nothing but Floyd, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, Genesis, and Snoop album covers in the new WAYLTNAWGAF.

Thanks to the 165 'Sausages' I have received for these great posts, I have a pretty good lead, and am almost 'Purple'.

20 years of blood sweat and tears, dreaming up the "Sleepwalking" thread, busting a gut on "Brexit or Bust", wracking my old brain to come up with miraculous "Teasers" every week.........and hanging on like death to that pinnacle in World Affairs in the Top Twenty of the Naim Forum...........(without posting pictures of albums that i've never owned nor listened to ). And for what !.........

................Future anonymity when somebody steals my Name and Avatar.............

I despair !!!!

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by MDS
Gazza posted:
Loki posted:

No it’s not a scam, I have logged in kept my old username and had a brief look at new layout. So go ahead, it’s fine to register.

I've just picked up an email invite timed at 16:00 today, though I had to rescue it from my spam folder. The 'default' username it offered me was my email but, as it did for Gazza, it accepted my current user name. Phew!

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander
Don Atkinson posted:
Mike Sullivan posted:

Oh come on Mike this is Naim !! not some foreign, corporate, venture capitalist, BS Bingo organisation !!

My take on Suzy’s post was the same as Mike Sullivan’s: the corporate world is full of talk of feedback’ focus groups and engagement - internally: managementsoeak for how do we get more out our workers without paying them more, popularly known by staff as ‘same old BS’. Nothing to do with the other side of business, listening to and serving customers, which presumably is Naim’s intent.

Posted on: 11 January 2019 by David O'Higgins
David Hendon posted:
David O'Higgins posted:
Tony2011 posted:
David O'Higgins posted:

Tuesday 15th of what month?

It’s all there in Charlie’s FAQ  for those who bother  to read it:

When will the old Forum stop working?
The old Forum will cease operation on the 15th January 2019 at 8am (GMT) and will be removed from the website for a short while. It will them come back online as an archive, available to be browsed and searched for years to come.”

Thanks Tony. Shouldn’t have to read FAQ for the date.

David

The full date was in Charlie’s original post actually (or maybe it was edited in later by Richard possibly).

best

David

Must have been edited I later. I know what I read!