When did you join the Naim forum?

Posted by: Sloop John B on 12 January 2019

I know this info is in our profiles but they are soon to disappear forever and only the posts archived. So for posterity when did you join the Naim forum?

Sloop joined on 11th December 2004.

.sjb

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by thebigfredc

Yep think I will call it a day too.

Not really happy wth the direction Naim have been heading in recently.

The forum was great fun though so best of luck to everyone.

Thebigfredc is gone.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Bob the Builder
Jonathan Gorse posted:

Richard - lovely to hear from you and glad to hear you are keeping high quality music alive around you too - sounds like we're raising a whole young generation of teenage vinyl junkies! 

In a similar vein we've started a new tradition in our house which has now extended to guests who come for dinner!  Basically everyone has to choose 3x records to play and they have to say what they like about them.  We use Youtube as the medium for playing stuff (usually) and it's proved a great way for my daughter to introduce us to artists she likes as well as introducing her to artists we like.  I was astounded the other day when she played me a New Order track which she had heard and loved!  This gave me the opportunity to pull out all my old New Order vinyl for her!  In short there's a lot of cross-percolation going on in our house which is proving great fun and I hope her having her own turntable will lead to her digging into my large vinyl collection!

I was hoping to make Bristol this year, but will endeavour to get to one of the shows and maybe we can catch up over a beer sometime!

Jon

That is just great Richard and Johnathan music is such an important thing for families IMO as it can connect us when we are feeling disconnected or happy and together and can give an insight into where our young people are at when they are feeling sad and distant or happy and contented and can also let them know that we are not as one dimensional as we sometimes must seem to them.

As a family we are more Shameless than the Waltons and over the years have been more likely to through plates at one another rather than sit down and eat together from them but the one thing our parents did give us all was a life long love of music which along with football (my brother) and travel (both my sisters) is a connection we still have.

I would listen to every new single from The Jam with my older brother on our little Bush suitcase record player and almost 40 years later we still will go to see Paul Weller together.  I bumped into my younger sister at a 'rave' party in 1989 both extremely wide eyed and ecstatic to discover each others secret and though we don't still go to 'raves' together in fact that one was her first and my last we still get a bit drunk sometimes and play loud House music along with our partners. My older sister who I'm very, very happy to be starting to get to know again have connected only a couple of times over the years and both at concerts.

For me music can be an excellent way of communicating with loved when words are difficult or in fact not needed at all. I met and fell in love with my life partner over a love of music it gave us a sense of a shared history even though we didn't know one another and connected us. This love of music that we all share is very important it is after all what brought us all here and is the thing that binds us and as Max put (as always so much better than me) it is both the good and the band that teaches us in all things music, people, food everything.  So I for one will try this new forum if I am invited and hope to see more of the same from all of you.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Alfa4life

April 2009 for me, joined up after ordering my first Naim kit... uniti, stageline, n-sats and Fraim. I heard this at Bristol show and it replaced an active Linn system. Always remember the enthusiasm Doug Graham for the music and kit at demo's with my local dealer... Spaldings in Croydon which made me keep an ear on all things Naim.