A Fistful of Brain Teasers

Posted by: Don Atkinson on 13 November 2017

A Fistful of Brain Teasers

For those who are either non-British, or under the age of 65………. The UK used to have a brilliant system of currency referred to as “Pounds, Shillings and Pence”. Simplified to £ ? s ? d. No! Don’t ask me why the “Pence” symbol is a “d”, just learn it and remember it !

A £ comprised 20 Shillings and a Shilling comprised 12 Pence. Thus a £ comprised 240 Pence. I reckon that both Microsoft and Apple would have difficulty with these numbers in their spreadsheets, more so if we included Guineas, Crowns, Half-Crowns and Florins. However, I digress..............

The purpose of the explanation is to assist with the first two or three teasers that follow. So just to ensure a reasonable comprehension has been grasped…. ….. if each of three children has £3 ? 7s ? 9d, then collectively they have £10 ? 3s ? 3d   Got the idea ? Good ! Just try 5 children, two each with £4 ? 15s ? 8d and three each with £3 ? 3s ?  4d. How much do they have between them ? (this isn’t the first brain teaser, just the basic introduction with some “homework”, the Teasers follow)

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Don Atkinson
Ian G. posted:
Don Atkinson posted:
Dozey posted:

I see 11.

Same here. 5 + 4 + 2 = 11

Just waiting for someone to identify more..........I'd be surprised, but you never know !

Yep I only see 11. 

11 it is then !!

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by Don Atkinson

How many triangles jpeg

How many triangles are there in this figure ?

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by ynwa250505
Don Atkinson posted:

The size of angle b is No1 jpeg

Looking at things from different angles is all well and good, but sometimes a sense of direction is needed !

48 degrees, calculated as follows;

By extending the non-parallel line (ie that has a 32 deg angle) to the lower parallel line, a transversal line is created where the lower parallel is cut, thereby creating a corresponding angle of 32 deg. The transversal line also creates a straight line angle of 180-80 = 100. The transversal line also creates a triangle. There are 180 degrees in a triangle. Therefore angle B = (180-(100+32) = 48 degrees.

Posted on: 20 December 2018 by ynwa250505
Don Atkinson posted:

How many triangles jpeg

I think 20 ...

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Ian G.

I'll make an  early morning opening bid of 20 triangles, in full expectation of having missed a few! 

Since we seem to be on a geometry theme, I always liked this one from Archimedes. 

You can find upper and lower bounds on the value of ? geometrically using a circle and a couple of hexagons - one for the lower bound and one for the upper bound. What are the values of these two bounds on ? ? 

Sorry if this has been asked before but there are too many pages to trawl through to check !

and the angle b is 48 degrees in Don's second drawing above.  

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Don Atkinson
Ian G. posted:

I'll make an  early morning opening bid of 20 triangles, in full expectation of having missed a few! 

So far as I can tell, you haven't missed any !

ynwa250505 posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

How many triangles jpeg

I think 20 ...

Yep, looks like you, Ian and myself are all in agreement. 20 ! (that's 20. NOT 20!)

Remember, these are all abstracts from my O-Level maths book. This was a "puzzle" and the book never provided answers to the "puzzles". It did provide answers to the progress test questions - such as the "Angles" questions !

Ian G. posted:

and the angle b is 48 degrees in Don's second drawing above.  

That's the answer in the book ! Well done.

ynwa250505 posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Looking at things from different angles is all well and good, but sometimes a sense of direction is needed !

By extending the non-parallel line (ie that has a 32 deg angle) to the lower parallel line, a transversal line is created where the lower parallel is cut, thereby creating a corresponding angle of 32 deg. The transversal line also creates a straight line angle of 180-80 = 100. The transversal line also creates a triangle. There are 180 degrees in a triangle. Therefore angle B = (180-(100+32) = 48 degrees.

Yep, 48 degrees. I did it a different way, but nothing wrong with yours.

I drew a third parallel line, passing through the apex of angle 80 deg.

Then using the "Alternate Angle Theorem" the top part of 80 deg is 32 deg and by subtraction (80 - 32) the bottom part of the 80 deg angle is 48 deg.

Using the "Alternate Angle Theorem" again, in the bottom part of the drawing, gives b = 48 deg

How many squares and how many contain the dot jpeg

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Mike Sullivan
ynwa250505 posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Yes, or 80 - 32 = 48. The two angles on the outer lines will always add up to the inner angle.

Don Atkinson posted:

How many squares and how many contain the dot jpeg

I thought I posted before. I think 17 & 6.

Hi Mike,

I have different numbers.

Mike,

I’ m only guessing, but is it possible that you double counted the outer square ?

Don Atkinson posted:

Mike,

I’ m only guessing, but is it possible that you double counted the outer square ?

Yes, 16 & 5?

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Eoink

I have 16 and 5, but I always struggle with these, trying to remember which I’ve counted.

Mike Sullivan posted:
Don Atkinson posted:

Mike,

Yes, 16 & 5?

Thought you might have !  ......... but..........

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Filipe

18, 5

best to count by size

Phil

Mike, Eoink,

I can see more than 16.

But agree with the 5

18 then so.

Posted on: 21 December 2018 by Eoink
Filipe posted:

18, 5

best to count by size

Phil

Great tip, thanks Phil,  I now get 18.

Well done guys. A bit more of a challenge than the triangles and dots hey ? 

cheers Don

Any body going to tackle Ian’s neat puzzle searching for Pi ?