What are you listening to and WHY might anyone be interested? (Vol. XV)

Posted by: Richard Dane on 31 December 2018

On the eve of a new year, it's time for a new thread. 

Last year's thread can be found here:

https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...e-interested-vol-xiv

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

Nearer my God to Thee tune by Eliza Flower, from the soundtrack of the 1998 film Titanic (Spotify)

The haunting hymn played by the string quartet as the Titanic sank on the 1998 film (Anecdotally survivors reported that the hymn was played, though the words of the hymn had been set to three different tunes and it is uncertain which version was actually have been played, but the haunting melody fits the subject - and the end of an era as this particular forum rapidly approaches its close.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by nigelb
ewemon posted:

This will be my last posting on the forum as I am going to take a break.

I may register for the new one and look in once in awhile.

Been thinking about it for awhile and the moving over to the new forum has just given me the opportunity to call it quits for now.

There are other reasons, which I have posted in another thread which I won't go into here.

I would like to thank JeffA for his kind words and friendship (love to H), Tony, Dave, Bert and if I have forgotten anyone then please accept my apologies

All the best Ewe, you are going to be missed by this music lover. Hope to see you sometime on the new forum.

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Kevin-W

One last one. Of course. On vinyl:

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Haim Ronen

Forum termination music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1z0zaGDzlQ

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by seakayaker
ewemon posted:

This will be my last posting on the forum as I am going to take a break.

I may register for the new one and look in once in awhile.

Been thinking about it for awhile and the moving over to the new forum has just given me the opportunity to call it quits for now.

There are other reasons, which I have posted in another thread which I won't go into here.

I would like to thank JeffA for his kind words and friendship (love to H), Tony, Dave, Bert and if I have forgotten anyone then please accept my apologies

Thank you for your insight into music and your many posting and personal recommendation to me an other members of other albums we might enjoy after we posted. Most were spot on and quite a few albums were added to my collection.

Good luck and enjoy your break and do hope to see you on the other side at time in the future.

Now playing.........

Natalie Merchant - Paradise Is There: The New Tigerlily Recordings

Natalie Merchant - Paradise is There: The New Tigerlily Recordings

Streaming on NAS...........  Started the day with Natalie and starting the evening with 'Paradise Is There,' one hell of an artist, love the music, vocals and lyrics, she is special! 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Innocent Bystander

When I used to run a rock disco I always ended with God Save the Queen - not Sex Pistols, though I like it, and not Queen from Night at the Opera, which I also like, but Gentle Giant, from their self-titled first album:

So that is what I finished on this evening (well, the whole album). Not a terribly popular band, but musically interesting, to me anyway.

So I’ll sign off with that - but if anyone remaining was going to play the National Anthem to close, what version would it be? (Of course this not limited to Britain and our anthem. Indeed, if Inhad thought of it before turning things off I’d have played Hendrix’s Woodstock recording of Star Spangled Banner.

Now Playing.........

Prince - Prince & A Microphone 1983

Prince - Piano & A Microphone 1983

Streaming on NAS......... Released this past September and really worth the time to give a listen, some fine moments with Prince!

Sounding mighty sweet!

hungryhalibut posted:

And here is the last recommendation from me. Brilliant modern, inventive, cool jazz from a superb band. 

A great recommendation, the trilogy of Balladering, Time and December Song are fantastic. Love listening to Jakob Bro and Bill Frisell playing together, all three albums fantastic musicians and worth the time to give a listen and picking up a copy. 

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by osprey

Now playing...........

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow brick Road

Streaming on NAS...........  a good way to end the day!

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

Breakfast treat...

Posted on: 14 January 2019 by Bert Schurink

This one is from yesterday evening and i hope a proper thank you to Ewemon for all his great posts. I hope he will keep on posting as I picked up quite a number of suggestions from him. While the start of the new forum is something like a reflection point. And I will also see that I reduce a bit the activity and focus more on my music as such. In addition it’s also good for my problems with my arm - being constantly on the iPad is not good for the pain...