what was the last cd you bought?

Posted by: AL4N on 13 March 2004

after a suggestion,i have split up the old topic into this one and what was your last vinyl purchase.I hope it makes life easier.
so to get things off and running
queen--the highlander sound track
Posted on: 04 May 2004 by Not For Me
The last CDs I bought were:

D-Side - Invisible
D-Side - Speechless

I then threw away the CDs and all the inserts, including a lovely poster and used the cases for the following CDs from Germany:

Blackhouse - Stairway to the Gospel World
[One of the top Christian industrial noise grinder groups]

Psy 231 - Industrial Hits for Greatest Youth
[Another Ladd / Frith collaboration]

It was cheaper to buy a couple of throwaway CDs from Woolies and recycle the cases than to buy 2 empty cases!

and a CD / DVD

Four Tet - My Angel Rocks back and forth

DS

OTD - Preacher - New Style
Posted on: 05 May 2004 by Phil Ward
[QUOTE]Originally posted by andy c:
Foo Foo & the boy - H2C (following a very kind borrow from james at Cymbiosis - ta James!)

This is on the Naim label and really rather good - I only played the borrowed one once then ordered it!

Glad you like H2C Andy. Look out for the new one, Sweet As Hell, available from Naim any day now.

Phil
Posted on: 05 May 2004 by Brian OReilly
quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
Josh Ritter – hello starling
Deon

Hallo Deon,

how do you find Hello Starling ?

I really liked "Golden Age of Radio"

Regards,
Brian
Posted on: 06 May 2004 by Not For Me
Somehow, the last CD I Bought was:

Blackhouse - Stairway to the Gospel World

which was the same one as yesterday?

An odd E-Bay seller mistake methinks.

DS
Posted on: 07 May 2004 by andy c
alexgerrard,

you have a pt!

cheers,

andy c!!!
Posted on: 11 May 2004 by andy c
Via amazon today:

Keane - Hopes and Fears - initially this may well get flogged to death - very good indeed.
Keb Mo -Keb Mo - after numerous big ups from various forum members - not really played this yet.
Diana Krall - The girl next door - I like this... possibly as good as the 'night in paris' cd IMO.

On order - Faithless...

andy c!
Posted on: 11 May 2004 by andy c
ag,
I always like to have somethng on order - Faithless are also one of the few bands I'd pre-order without worry - I have enjoyed and flogged all their previous stuff to death... Big Grin

andy c(!)
Posted on: 12 May 2004 by JeremyB
Slowly getting up to date with the CD blog:

Blonde Redhead Misery is a butterfly
Todd Rundgren Liars
Rush The spirit of radio
Rush Counterparts
Phish Rift
Sarah Vaughan Sarah Vaughan
Loretta Lynn Van Lear Rose
Eels Beautiful Freak
Danni Minogue Neon Nights
Meatloaf Bat out of hell - disappointing sound though on this original issue CD
Posted on: 13 May 2004 by greeny
A few recent purchases:

Leaves - Breathe
Not really a new purchase, I bought it months ago but I didn't really listen to it then, I dug it out a month or so ago and it's brilliant. If you like the Doves, Elbow, Electric Soft Parade style of indie rock you'll love this. There's enough depth and substance to the tracks to make repeat listenings a real joy. (5 Stars)

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Light.
Modern Arthouse Rock, Not bad, but not a patch on the Rapture - Echos album. (3 stars)

British Sea Power - The Decline of ...
Abrasive alt rock, not really gripped me at all yet, something lacking (2 stars)

Black Keys- Thickfreakness
Raw blues rock (aka white stripes), very lo-fi, Some quite good riffs, but a bit samey (3 stars)

Blanche - If We Can't Trust the Doctors
Typical Americana, Not bad, (3-4 stars)

Laura Viers - Carbon Glacier
Stark female vocals thrown over delicate backing, almost a female version of Nick Drake, and a quite distinctive voice. I loved this initially, not quite as gripped now, but still (4 Stars)
Posted on: 13 May 2004 by BigH47
A couple from E-Bay:-
Magical Ring and Banba - Clannad.

Howard
Posted on: 13 May 2004 by Not For Me
Jeremy, Kudos on the Minogue CD!

The latest CDs that I have bought were:

Throbbing Gristle - The Taste of TG
[Subtitled 'A Beginner's Guide to the Music of Throbbing Gristle' Pretty essential for any modern music lover, I'd say]

Suicide - Attempted: Live at Max's Kansas City 1980

Captain Comatose - Picking Up Going Out
[Combined with the record Picking up Going out]

DS

OTT - The Simpsons
Posted on: 13 May 2004 by JeremyB
quote:
Kudos on the Minogue CD

Thanks David.

I haven't got to the listings yet, but on a recent business trip I found myself in Tokyo for the weekend and went to a shop called "Disk Union". They have a fab website http://www.diskunion.com - pity it's all in Japanese!

David, you would have loved this shop. Seven floors of mixed vinyl and CDs by genre, plus a whole separate shop called "club music". Everything I picked up there I was told had a "jazzy vibe". So I walked away with a few LPs including Science Fiction - walls don't exist and Nicoletta - cranky. Since this is a CD only thread - I also got Sly and Robbie - version born, Chrome - tidal forces and a great live compilation - "Movement Detroit's Electronic Music Festival 04"

Jeremy
Posted on: 13 May 2004 by Bruce Woodhouse
Bit fallow on the CD buying front recently but have added

Jim White 'Drill Through the Substrate..'

Orthodox Chants from Russia-Optina Pustyn Monastery Choir.

Bruce
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by Rockingdoc
Alvin Lee - In Tennessee. Laid-back (lazy?) re-run of rock 'n roll, with the real-deal rhythm section including Scotty Moore. Not worth buying, but Alvin was pretty cool at the Fairfield Halls, Croydon last night. In fact, in a much better mood than when I last saw him there in 1974.
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by greeny
How about some comments on the CD's. You know a 1 or 2 line review. It gets a bit boring just seeing what people have bught, it's much more interesting seeing what people think of things.

Bruce - What do you think of the Jim White, (how does it compare to No Such Place if you've got that)?

PS. Dave Slater might be excused from the reviews 'cos he wouldn't have time to write it all, (and I've only heard of 10% he buys anyway Confused)
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by andy c
quote:
I am, of course, an accountant which seems to hamper my taste . Apparently.

Ag,
I ROFL at this one Big Grin

I work for a local authority so I have no taste at all! LOL

andy c!
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by Bruce Woodhouse
Jim White is failing to grab me at the moment. I love the opener with Aimee Mann but little else has really stuck, perhaps because it needs a rather more concentrated listen than this track. I find his voice a bit anodyne too. I've not heard his other record to compare.

FWIW The Russian choral CD is gloriously atmospheric.

Bruce
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by greeny
Thanks for the reply Bruce/Alex.

F.Y.I No Such Place is pretty good and should be up your street Bruce.

quote:
I am, of course, an accountant which seems to hamper my taste . Apparently

Cool Alex, Got to admit I tend to disagree with your music teste a fare bit, though I suspect our collections probably overlap 50:50. In retrospect by Accountant comment (on another thread for those confused) was perhaps a little trite, though only made in jest, and was supposed to be Accountants have no fun, rather than Accountants have poor taste in music. Big Grin
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by Brian OReilly
quote:
Originally posted by greeny:
How about some comments on the CD's. You know a 1 or 2 line review. It gets a bit boring just seeing what people have bught, it's much more interesting seeing what people think of things.

I agree with you, er, again. It's a great thread, but it's of little value if there is no description or recomendation.

Brian OReilly
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by Bruce Woodhouse
The really important bits of threads like this are actually comments like 'if you like this you might also like to try this'. These help me find new music.

Bruce
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by Not For Me
Now the problem with a 1 or 2 line review would mean that you would have to listen to
them all before commenting!

Could be a problem?

DS

ITC - Various Artists - Jack to the Future
Posted on: 14 May 2004 by ErikL
Following the new thread rules...

Les Savy Fav - Inches - If you like rough sex, you'll like this. Edgy punkish indie rock.

Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children - If you like sex with yourself, you'll like this. Dreamy synth textures atop trippy beats.

Non-Prophets - Hope (second time around) - If you like sex but fail to get any, you'll like this. Great hip-hop but a bit teen angsty.
Posted on: 15 May 2004 by andy c
quote:
I want to hate it, but I can't.

'She has no time' is a brilliant track on the keane Cd.. can't stop playing it...

andy c! (!)
Posted on: 15 May 2004 by BigH47
Strawbs the Collection (2001).One of those groups I knew about but havn't bought.
A bit bass heavy. Described as prog rock on AMG a bit more folk rock. A few tracks I knew Lay Down and Union Man (MPs fav)quite good 7/10. Not sure how many heads that is.

Howard
Posted on: 17 May 2004 by kj burrell
This week the sale was in Borders.

1) Sleater-Kinney: Dig Me Out. I've wanted a cd by them for ages, but never got round to buying one. Great, spikey songs, a bit Belly, a little Siouxy, a little Sonic Youthy..

2) Dave Douglas: A Thousand Evenings. Chamber jazz/klezmer/east european folk. A great trumpet/accordian/violin/bass group

3) C'est Chic: Freak Out!!!!!!!!! The best bass playing ever.

Kevin