Nice Photos.

Posted by: u5227470736789439 on 27 February 2008

Most of us have taken one or two nice photos.

Here is my candidate as being almost quite good. In fact it is two painstakingly joined.

Taken up in the mountain at Skurdalsvatn in 2000.

Though this one takien in Warsaw in November 2006 is not bad:

I know there are several good photgraphers here, and it would be nice to see some of you best efforts if you feel inclined to share!

George
Posted on: 22 March 2008 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Originally posted by northpole:
I wanna go to Barcelona!! Fantastic shots of an out of this world building. Thanks for posting.

Peter

How's about Roma then? A little older but just as good........
Posted on: 22 March 2008 by northpole
Peter

You don't have to tell me - it's definitely on my list, and has been for some time. I may have to do that trip solo such is the amount of time I imagine spending looking through a viewfinder! Red Face

Peter
Posted on: 22 March 2008 by Marti-C
quote:
How's about Roma then? A little older but just as good........

Cymbiosis, You have hit a nerve tonight. I have just been listening to Respighi and the 'Fountains of Rome'.

This is a city a have to visit, and this music alone has made me want to visit at least four parts of the city, before I have even started the tourist thing!

Cheers,

Marti
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by Cymbiosis
AL4N posted a nice picture of the outside of the Colosseum on P5, so here's my attempt from inside this amazing building. Only once inside did I really appreciate just how big it is - you have to visit, you just have to..........
Construction was completed in about AD80 and it was said to be able to hold 50,000 spectators!

Kind regards,

Peter
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by northpole
Slightly corny perhaps, but how appropriate to be viewing images of the peak of the Roman Empire, the one which nailed a rather important man to a cross at this time of year. I can imagine myself having fun with my 17-35mm nikon at this venue!! Smile

Easter greetings to all.

Peter
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by KeanoKing
Hi Peter,

Not sure when you visited, but i was there in august a couple of years back, and not only is it big, it is ROASTING!!! For me it was so strange, coming off the underground, up the stairs, main road in front of you and there's the coliseum. Just there minding it's own business so to speak. It's a great place to visit. Should be going back next year. Top of the list is the Sistene chapel, got there too late last time!!
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by Julian H
Slightly better Peter Smile
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by Julian H
Tate Modern
Now if we are talking Italy, Venice has to get a mention. So far my favorite place on earth....so far..
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by tonym
I love Rome. Probably my favourite city. It's relatively compact so a reasonably fit person can walk to most things of interest.

I found St Peter's Basilica quite awesome, the Colosseum fascinating, but for some reason the building I was most taken with was the Parthenon.

It's illuminated on the inside by The Occulus, a massive hole in the roof :-

The Sistine Chapel is exquisite, although the ceiling is rather smaller than I imagined.

The Vatican Museum's got some lovely ceilings too :-
quote:
Parthenon

I was on my way to visit the Parthenon, when it started to rain (as it does) so fell in to a bar, 3 hours later i fell out and the Parthenon was closed!!!!!!! Next time i hope.
Not quite the Cistene Chapel (spell check!) but sticking with the religious theme, here is a shot of an old English building in Fberuary - Southwark Cathedral

Peter
Following on from Julian's Tate Modern shot, here are a few I took, again in February:

Peter
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by Derek Wright
Without the cranes
quote:
Not quite the Cistene Chapel (spell check!) but sticking with the religious theme, here is a shot of an old English building in Fberuary - Southwark Cathedral

Peter

Spell check Sistene! Well it is in Brum anyway!
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by BigH47
quote:
I was on my way to visit the Parthenon, when it started to rain (as it does) so fell in to a bar, 3 hours later i fell out and the Parthenon was closed!!!!!!! Next time i hope.

I wasn't finished when we saw it. Big Grin

I don't have any of my own pics on digital format.
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by Cymbiosis
quote:
Slightly corny perhaps, but how appropriate to be viewing images of the peak of the Roman Empire, the one which nailed a rather important man to a cross at this time of year.

Peter

Cant help there Peter, but here is a peak of sorts...... the detail all the way up the column as far as I could see was amazing! Hence why I kept the image big here for all to see.

Kind regards,

Peter
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by nodrog
I thought the Olafur Eliasson installation at the Tate Modern a few years ago was the most impressive work I've ever seen there.

Posted on: 23 March 2008 by count.d
Rome seems to be flavour of the week, so here's one I've posted before.
Peter

Stop posting - you're killing me!! Truly gobsmacking workmanship - sad to admit I wasn't aware of that column's existance.

nodrog - that's a really interesting image of the Tate - on the one hand the height of the hall appears immense whilst on the other, there is a sense that the walls have been drawn in on themselves.

Peter
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by count.d
The view from the top of the Vatican is one not to be missed if you visit Rome.
Posted on: 23 March 2008 by scottyhammer
roads ?
Nah Scotty, that was the Greeks Big Grin

Peter