Superb Live Recordings, post your favorites.

Posted by: Peet on 21 March 2015

1. "There is a special magic, an intimate vibrancy in a live performance which is impossible to recreate in the studio. I have often been asked to record live - a prospect which I have aspired to and dreaded at the same time - and I am delighted to finally have had the chance to do so. Here is some food for thought without any additives, sugar or preservatives. Enjoy." 
  2. The room was filled to the brim with audio enthusiasts, the closest listener being just a few feet from the musicians and the microphones.
    When the audience is so close to the musicians, a synergy occurs. The audience becomes part of the music making and help spur the musicians on to great heights.
    The musicians feeling the empathy from the audience dare to take chances that one rarely hears in a studio recording.
    Tony and Bert had not performed together as a duo before, and no rehearsal had taken place prior to the Rhapsody concert, but the music these two masters of improvisation created that sunny afternoon in Rhapsody, is simply breathtaking.
  3. This trio is still widely regarded as his finest, largely because of the symbiotic interplay between its members. Tragically, LaFaro was killed in an automobile accident ten days after this session was recorded, and Evans assembled the two packages a few months afterward. While "Waltz for Debby" -- in retrospect -- is seemingly a showcase for Evans' brilliant, subtle, and wide-ranging pianism, this volume becomes an homage, largely, to the genius and contribution of LaFaro. That said, however, this were never the point. According to Motian, when Evans built this trio based on live gigs at the Basin Street East, the intention was always to develop a complete interactive trio experience.
Posted on: 24 April 2015 by Peet
Originally Posted by GregU:
Originally Posted by Tony2011:

Well, noboby mentioned this one. Probably the worst live album ever recorded!

Sound quality=bad.    Performance=supergreat 

60 watt speakers, vocals amplified via the announcement system, thousands of screaming teenage girls, no wonder.

Posted on: 26 April 2015 by Peet
Originally Posted by ewemon:

Alison Krauss + Union Station Live

+1 This is her best album.

Posted on: 28 April 2015 by k
Did anyone notice how on the track Silence the audience slowly gets silenced and then here and there one can hear the sound of Birds

''The recording conditions were not ideal. The doors in the back of the room were opened several times by people trying to squeeze in, making the sound from the espresso machine in the hall and the DJ playing ambient music in the garden faintly audible at the beginning of each set. Later halfway through the concert the windows of the room had to be opened for air. The DJ turned off his music but he was immediately replaced by the sound of birds singing.''
If listening closely one can hear them, chime in, in the quiet parts.
Posted on: 28 April 2015 by k

from this album; great atmosphere but a bit less on sound.

Somebody keeps on tapping his foot infrequently and annoyingly.

Posted on: 02 May 2015 by Peet

My favorite Live Wynton AND ''Slowhand '' Clapton

is this one ;

Posted on: 03 May 2015 by R.K

Esp Joe Cocker

Posted on: 03 May 2015 by R.K

Posted on: 09 May 2015 by Steve J

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this fine album. It's one of the best live recordings ever. It sounds awesome on the 45rpm vinyl and not bad on CD rip. Thanks to Peter at Cymbiosis for introducing me to this a couple of years ago. Stimela is a standout track.

Posted on: 09 May 2015 by fatcat

Love/ Arthur Lee - Forever Changes Live at the Royal Festival Hall.

Live recording of one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

By coincidence it's being released on vinyl for the first time on 11th May.

Posted on: 10 May 2015 by Steve J

An excellent live concert recording. When listening I'm immediately transported back to Torquay Town Hall in 1972 when I saw him on the same concert tour. Gerry McAvoy really stood out on bass. Bullfrog Blues is my personal favourite track.

Posted on: 12 May 2015 by Christopher_M

Have we had this yet?

The covers on side B are incredibly powerful for me.

C.

Posted on: 12 May 2015 by k
Originally Posted by Steve J:

An excellent live concert recording. When listening I'm immediately transported back to Torquay Town Hall in 1972 when I saw him on the same concert tour. Gerry McAvoy really stood out on bass. Bullfrog Blues is my personal favourite track.

Rory Gallagher! is this still available?

Posted on: 12 May 2015 by T38.45

Sinatra at Sands

Bellafonte Carnegie Hall

Sokolov- Salzburg (now on DG)

Pires- Wigmore Hall Recital

Posted on: 15 May 2015 by Kevin-W

No-one will agree with me but I don't care. TG's Heathen Earth, an entirely improvised album recorded in 1980 in front of an invited audience of about 25 people.

Posted on: 15 May 2015 by Kevin-W

Has anyone mentioned this yet? If not, it seems apposite to do so.

Think I will play it later:

Posted on: 16 May 2015 by Peet

Pure on SQ this album should be mentioned.

Posted on: 16 May 2015 by Arnk

Soul of a Man:Al Kooper Live

Great Performance, great recording.

Posted on: 16 May 2015 by Steve J

Great recording of two blues greats live in Montreux in 1978.

Posted on: 19 May 2015 by k
Originally Posted by Peet:

absolutely!

Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.......

...... Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.. . . Rad Bennett

''soundstage''

Posted on: 21 May 2015 by Reinibert

Posted on: 22 May 2015 by christian u
Originally Posted by k:

absolutely!

Sound Liaison, producing recordings available only in 24-bit/96kHz downloads that mirror the master recording. And man, are they ever sweet. I've seldom heard recordings that were so successful in both performance and sound aspects.......

...... Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.. . . Rad Bennett

''soundstage''

Yes it is a remarkable recording.

Posted on: 23 May 2015 by Peet

That is real blues!

Posted on: 30 May 2015 by Peet
Originally Posted by k:
Did anyone notice how on the track Silence the audience slowly gets silenced and then here and there one can hear the sound of Birds

''The recording conditions were not ideal. The doors in the back of the room were opened several times by people trying to squeeze in, making the sound from the espresso machine in the hall and the DJ playing ambient music in the garden faintly audible at the beginning of each set. Later halfway through the concert the windows of the room had to be opened for air. The DJ turned off his music but he was immediately replaced by the sound of birds singing.''
If listening closely one can hear them, chime in, in the quiet parts.

yes same thing happening here on one of my favorite Keith Jarrett recordings the SQ is also a bit similar, and this is a rare occasion of Keith accepting a participating audience with out telling them to be quiet but playing them quiet.

Posted on: 11 June 2015 by ClaudeP

That is real blues!

And so is this:

But my alll time favorite live album is this one:

Live jazz at its best, and the recording is second to none

Posted on: 12 June 2015 by Massimo Bertola

This is a live recording I love:

for the rich, sharp immediacy of the piano sound and the somehow obsessive quality of his playing. But my preferred live act is the first encore from this DVD:

a sublime rendition of Danny boy.

M