Blu Ray Player

Posted by: IanG on 16 September 2016

Currently my home cinema 5.1 system comprises a cheap Sony blu ray player into a surround sound receiver (Rotel RSX 1550) via HDMI. The front left/right channels are run via my Naim 252/300 with the 252 in AV bypass mode. All other channels are run by the Rotel.

My question is this, in the above set up, would replacing the Sony blu ray with a premium player (e.g. Oppo etc) would I benefit with improved picture and audio or are these processed in the Rotel and hence would be the same quality regardless of which blu ray player I use ?

Apologies if this is a very basic question but I'm not sure which part of the chain is responsible for what as far as the audio and image processing is concerned.

Posted on: 10 February 2017 by tonym

As a matter of interest, when was this firmware upgrade? Apart from the beta upgrade I carried out on my machine as soon as I got it, there's been no further upgrade.

Posted on: 10 February 2017 by rjfk

There was an update a few weeks ago, the second including the initial beta code update the unit shipped with was upgraded. Current firmware here is 20XEU-33-1229. This is the code I believe has the lip sync issues.

rjfk posted:

There was an update a few weeks ago, the second including the initial beta code update the unit shipped with was upgraded. Current firmware here is 20XEU-33-1229. This is the code I believe has the lip sync issues.

Thanks rjfk. Just checked & mine's 20XEU-33-1229B (guess that means beta). 

Posted on: 10 February 2017 by Ravenswood10

Mine took place via my LAN connection. I was prompted that new firmware was available and went with the update...then my problems began

We've just watched "Mrs Peregrin's Home For Peculiar Children" on 4K BluRay & it played immaculately. I wonder if somehow the "official" update added something that screwed things up in comparison with its beta version? Breathtaking picture quality on the disc btw. 

Posted on: 11 February 2017 by MDS

Just watched my first BluRay on the 203.  First thing that struck me was the significantly quicker load and response-times to commands.  The picture quality is improved but the sound....oh,my! This is hugely better than my old 93.  Resolution is much shaper and the dialogue vastly clearer, even during heavy action scenes.  I'm very pleased with this purchase. 

Oh, and given some earlier posts I checked my firmware version, that I know was updated on installation. It is 20XEU-33-1229.  No 'B' on the end so perhaps the beta classification has been removed.  No lip-sync problems either.

Posted on: 11 February 2017 by Guy007

I have had a couple of 'stutters' on a few blu-ray discs, but they were on older discs.  The DVD's I've played have been rock solid as have the CD's.